Great video games to play with a Gothic atmosphere

Books, movies, television and everything else
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Great video games to play with a Gothic atmosphere

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Looks like The Evil Within is being released a week earlier than originally scheduled: Oct. 14. This is just a week later than Alien: Isolation, which itself seems to call upon the feel of the original Alien where survival comes down to cunning and adaptability.

Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) had a daughter named Amanda, as many will know if they saw the cut scenes from Aliens. Amanda Ripley is the protagonist of A: I, working as an engineer for Weyland-Yutani, the same company her mother worked for, in the hopes of discovering what happened. Fifteen years after the incident, the Nostromo's flight recorder is discovered and taken to Sevastapol Station. A small crew is sent to pick it up which Amanda volunteers for. Only on arrival most of the crew is dead and something is stalking the survivors. Now Amanda must survive and unravel the knot of betrayal and lies that can answer what happened to her mother.

Despite the presence of guns (well, a revolver) in the teasers, this is not a foe you stand toe-to-toe with. It's stronger, faster, and armed with wicked talons, a blade-tipped tail, a "tongue" that can puncture bone, and molecular acid for blood. Distract it, hide, run away, or just sneak by it. Get caught and you're dead. And as if an apex predator hunting you down wasn't enough, the station's androids have been given orders to stop living station members from escaping; just like Ash in the movie was. It's "crew expendable," as are Marines, civilians, and prisoners, if it means the company gets the creature for its Bio-Weapons Division.

The visuals are almost identical to the sets in the original movie and create a genuine feel of continuity in that sense. Music from the original movie is likewise used and adds to the eerie sense of familiarity. The Nostromo (Collector) Edition is also giving us the chance to play as Ellen Ripley, Dallas (captain of the Nostromo), and Parker (the burly, black engineer) in a bonus expansion called, "Crew Expendable."

Having actually played a demo, I can say this: the game is nostalgic, fun, and absolutely terrifying in how it builds tension and then unleashes it in a rush of adrenaline to get away from the alien. If you can use various bits and pieces to build the devices that will buy critical seconds to make a getaway, if you can turn the environment against the creature, and if you're downright lucky, you might survive...
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Only somewhat gothic but very creepy and atmospheric, Gone Home is a fun little indie game/interactive story.
It's a little pricey for its length (it's short) but it's very interesting.
Vorcoth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Vorcoth »

The Witcher series for PC is absolutely fantastic. One of the best computer RPG's I've ever played. The dialogue can be cheesy sometimes, mostly due to being poorly translated from its original Polish. (The game is based on a series of novels by Poland author - Andrzej Sapkowski, which are great novels too).

I believe The Witcher 2 was released for Xbox 360 as well. The Witcher 3 (http://thewitcher.com/witcher3/) is coming in Feb 2015 for PC, PS4 and X-Bone and it looks amaaaaaazzziiiinnnggggggah.

The Gabriel Knight series for PC was supah-stupendous, of course, and Jane Jensen (the author) has recently reacquired the license and is re-releasing the series, 1 by 1, via Steam with graphic and gameplay upgrades. If it sells well, I suspect she may do new Gabriel Knight games too.

Another couple games coming for PS4 that look STUNNINGLY gothic and are getting early rave reviews are:

The Order: 1886 (http://www.readyatdawn.com/)
and
Bloodborne (http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/bloodborne-ps4/)
Last edited by Vorcoth on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A pair of excellent survival-horror games that evince the Gothic atmosphere are Outlast and Slender: The Arrival. Since I bought these after me previous post I haven't had time to fully play them but they are definitely hidden gems. Outlast pits you as a reporter using a digital camcorder to investigate an asylum to report abuse. Only things are far worse as details of some sort of dream research using hypnosis seems to have brought something(s) about (think The Brood). The staff dead as far as I've seen, often due to gruesome murders, while the surviving patients are either near-catatonic or have suffered so horribly that death is welcome. Survival is all about running and hiding; there's no way to fight back. Sort of like the Clock Tower Trilogy where you investigate before finally gaining a way to put the "monsters" down for good.

Slender: The Arrival is apparently a rethink of a prior indie game that does it justice. I only had time to get a look before turning in but it, and Outlast, were referred in "IGN's Top 15 Horror Games of 2014" so I have high hopes.

Both are digital downloads on Steam.
Vorcoth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Vorcoth »

Another hidden gem is a game called "The Binding of Isaac" on Steam.

It's from the same people who made Super Meat Boy.

In The Binding of Isaac you play a little boy whose mother believes that she has been told by God to sacrifice her children, and so you run and hide in the basement. Unfortunately, all of the children your mother has previously sacrificed were buried in the basement, and they rise from the dead to kill you. You need to survive by finding weapons like "your mom's bra", or "a dented can of ham", etc. etc. If you die, you start over from the beginning.

It's super creepy, and really fun.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:A pair of excellent survival-horror games that evince the Gothic atmosphere are Outlast and Slender: The Arrival. Since I bought these after me previous post I haven't had time to fully play them but they are definitely hidden gems. Outlast pits you as a reporter using a digital camcorder to investigate an asylum to report abuse. Only things are far worse as details of some sort of dream research using hypnosis seems to have brought something(s) about (think The Brood). The staff dead as far as I've seen, often due to gruesome murders, while the surviving patients are either near-catatonic or have suffered so horribly that death is welcome. Survival is all about running and hiding; there's no way to fight back. Sort of like the Clock Tower Trilogy where you investigate before finally gaining a way to put the "monsters" down for good.

Slender: The Arrival is apparently a rethink of a prior indie game that does it justice. I only had time to get a look before turning in but it, and Outlast, were referred in "IGN's Top 15 Horror Games of 2014" so I have high hopes.

Both are digital downloads on Steam.

OUTLAST is a good game, I can say it is one of the few games in recent memory that has been able to make me JUMP. I usually have the 'freeze' when jump scares happen or i don't expect something but DAMN that game made me jump and get jittery. xD I have finished it and won't spoil it but there are a few 'living' 'people' i guess you could call them.... xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Okay, I've delved into Alien: Isolation and this is one of those games that drains you of your resolve even as you keep going back for more. Much like the remake of Ninja Gaiden it's one that makes you yell, "Thank you, sir! May I have another?"

Expect do die. A lot. Trial-and-error will be necessary to figure out how to get past an obstacle. The alien also has the most annoying habit of appearing out of nowhere with only the sounds or sights to go by. The tracking device is short range and will give you away if you're too close, but it's better than nothing. Stealth is vital to survive not just the alien, but also the human survivors and the homicidal androids ("Working Joes"). Noise from combat can attract the creature so avoid fighting at all costs. If a bellicose survivor warning you off draws the creature to them, run and hide while it kills them. Despite not having eyes, the creature seems incapable of seeing in the dark and using power routers to cut the lights, stop the air purifiers so the place stars to get dusty, and smoke bombs can help you hide. That's all you really can do.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:Okay, I've delved into Alien: Isolation and this is one of those games that drains you of your resolve even as you keep going back for more. Much like the remake of Ninja Gaiden it's one that makes you yell, "Thank you, sir! May I have another?"

Expect do die. A lot. Trial-and-error will be necessary to figure out how to get past an obstacle. The alien also has the most annoying habit of appearing out of nowhere with only the sounds or sights to go by. The tracking device is short range and will give you away if you're too close, but it's better than nothing. Stealth is vital to survive not just the alien, but also the human survivors and the homicidal androids ("Working Joes"). Noise from combat can attract the creature so avoid fighting at all costs. If a bellicose survivor warning you off draws the creature to them, run and hide while it kills them. Despite not having eyes, the creature seems incapable of seeing in the dark and using power routers to cut the lights, stop the air purifiers so the place stars to get dusty, and smoke bombs can help you hide. That's all you really can do.
I'm similiarly diving in though I must say the 'stealth' seems a bit harder than most 'stealth' games if I do say so myself. Poor Riply got shot quiet a few times before I managed to slip past those people seeking me out in the beginning. Normal is difficulty is punishing as heck. The alien never.... spotted me but if what you say is true i'm surprised it didn't see us in the opening reveal of the creature. It had clear line of sight to us.... o.O'

Takes about 1 hour into the game to really get going for me, I only really felt a sense of danger once the alien entered the scene at a surprising closeness to the character. :) Then I started to pay more attention.

On another note only 5 more days until Evil within which will completely encompass my play time until beaten. xD

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The game really jerks you around in the later levels, going in directions even fans of the Alien media won't expect. Expect the rug to be pulled out from under you in terms of plot. Answers only lead to more questions until the final, hideous truth of everything is revealed. And again the question is raised, "Who are the real monsters?" Us or the aliens?

EDIT: Well, it seems Sega took a page from Evil Arts' book (specifically Dead Space 3) and left the ending open and unresolved. Likely for DLC that we'll have to buy. That's not good marketing, it's downright unfair to the players! We go through hell and back only to have the long awaited resolution never happen?

On the basis of that I'd have to recommend others wait before buying this. Or email Sega of America and chew them a new one. :evil:
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I started playing The Evil Within last night and it throws you into it rather rapidly. Played about 3 hours and I’m thus far pleased with the combination of being able to die fairly easy, as well as giving you weapons however no guarantee. In fact whenever I pull out the pistol to shoot an enemy I’ve shot enemies in the head anywhere from 1-3 times with differing results. Most of them time it takes me 2-3 shots but that one time I got 1 shot kill actually surprised me. Needless to say I can’t rely on a set damage it seems like to me.

You have to burn corpses with a limited supply of matches, because there is a possibility of the enemy getting back up later on. I’ve only noticed this two times though I try not to backtrack unless I want to explore an area more. Furthermore, I’ve only had 1 enemy drop at my feet which gave me the option to burn it, and then almost after a full second started getting back up before I could burn it.

So far I’ve made It to chapter 4 before stopping last night and enjoying the game. I’ve been ‘tense’ but not really scared. The only thing ironically that has gotten me to jump a few times or heart racing has been the traps. One time saw the trip wire and approached to disarm but ended up being too far forward. BOOM. Next time came around a corner apparently too fast. xD

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Evil Within is one of the weirder games I've played. It certainly has elements of Gothic horror but almost as many of Cosmicism. The story comes as much from documents found as the gameplay itself, though as I've only finished the sixth chapter it's hard to say what's going on with any certainty. Fragmented, broken environments like an insane mind, weird science, purification by fire, and a disdain for religion are running themes. If it was the intent of Shinji Mikami to make this feel like playing in someone's nightmare, he succeeded in spades.

Be warned: this game is gory. Not only are the creatures (zombies?) often mutilated, but several of the environments are more like abattoirs where the discarded remains of "test subjects" are disposed of.

EDIT: Okay, so fire isn't a symbol of purity but of a mutual bane of both Sebastian and the central antagonist. As for the disdain for religion...well, why spoil the surprise?
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

"The Silent Wood", a minimal-style mobile phone game, was a pretty Gothic experience, for my taste, at least.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Murdered: Soul Suspect was a surprisingly addictive game. As much as folks complain about Squaresoft and Enix Software merging, this one is actually good. You play the role of a detective who was murdered after going on a call about the Bell Killer, a serial killer who has eluded the best the Salem PD has to offer, without backup. As a ghost you must deal with the unseen world using only your new powers and aid from a teenage medium who is also a target. Then there are the purely spectral problems like demons, hell mouths, helping others pass on by figuring out the issues keeping them here...

The ending is a bit like The Sixth Sense in how the final twist is the last thing you expect. As befits the setting, it ties strongly to the Salem Witch Trials and shows how the sins of the past can linger well into the present. How Ronan, the protagonist, maneuvers in a world where what's there physically isn't always a barrier but what's there ethereally can be, shows what it's like for ghosts to deal with the ethereal resonance of structures long gone.

This is a paid download for Steam/PS4/XBOX One. I'd recommend starting the download long before you plan on playing. At 10 GB it can take hours to download.
DannWyrm
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DannWyrm »

Darkest Dungeon is a gothic survival horror roguelike, where you are summoned to the estate of a dead relative, who tells you that things have gone absolutely pear-shaped. You hire heroes, everything from an Arbalest to Occultist, that show up in town to explore the ruins that your once prestigious family called home. Heroes can pick up quirks, both positive and negative, and stress is ever present, as you progress through the dungeons, hoping your sanity isn't snuffed out along with your dwindling supply of torches.

It's a blast to play, and the artwork is very Mike Mignola-esque. It's on Steam for 20 bucks, and it's well worth the price.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Not sure if these games were mentioned earlier but Alan Wake and Evil Within have a strong feel to them that I believe add a gothic horror feel to them.
Swallow your soul!