Game of Thrones - the TV series

Books, movies, television and everything else
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Game of Thrones - the TV series

Post by Zilfer »

I'm assuming some people have watched, the first episode, and others have watched the leaked 1-4 episodes. Interested to kind of see discussion between the book readers we have here and wondering if they just haven't had time to comment. ^.^

I do like one thing that I think is a big change from the books...

Note might be a spoiler for those who have only seen the 1st episode.
VIEW CONTENT:
Jaime and Bronn traveling together! :D
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yup, saw the first episode only thus far. (I haven't watched the leaked versions and don't plan to do so.) It was nice setup ep. Felt nice and comfy to get back into things. I was surprised with one change from the books already, though.
VIEW CONTENT:
Looks like Mance really is dead in this version. He didn't act at all like he'd been swapped for Rattleshirt, so I ain't buying it if they pull that one.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Interesting....^

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Personally, I'm waiting for more episodes to be out. I don't want to watch just one episode, nor I want to watch the leaked ones. So it'll be some weeks till I pick up the series.
Yet, I can ask a question about them now: Are the chapters the episodes refer at easy to find?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:Are the chapters the episodes refer at easy to find?
Err.... well, I guess no more or less difficult than last season. Some characters/plotlines are in Book 4, some are in Book 5, and some are off the rails in "we just made this up"-land.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Made up fantasy spoiler land....
VIEW CONTENT:
*cough* Bronn *cough*

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

At Season 3, episode 5.........

Didn't like the books, but this is better.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zilfer wrote:Made up fantasy spoiler land....
VIEW CONTENT:
*cough* Bronn *cough*
VIEW CONTENT:
Actually, this has _some_ basis in the books. sort of. In the books, Ilyn Payne teaches Jaime to fight one-handed, and travels with him to continue his practice. Last season, Bronn replaced Ilyn Payne in the training scenes (because Ilyn Payne's actor died). So in a way, this isn't a new change, but a continuation of the change from last season. Of course, the destination of their travel is different, too, so it remains to be seen how that plays out....
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
alhoon wrote:Are the chapters the episodes refer at easy to find?
Err.... well, I guess no more or less difficult than last season. Some characters/plotlines are in Book 4, some are in Book 5, and some are off the rails in "we just made this up"-land.
Last season it was very difficult to find those. :(
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

For the last two seasons, downsizing the cast seems to have been the most recurring motto - not going to put any spoilers here, but especially in the last (the 5th) episode, that became apparent again.

I think the main reason here is budgetary concerns, but also the need to streamline the helplessly convoluted main plot; and while I lament this as a reader, I welcome it as a viewer.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OK buddies, started watching season 5. I am at half.
While not bad, it's IMO the worse season so far. Perhaps I'm tired by the series but I don't think it's that. I think it's that the quality dropped and the story is just less interesting.

I won't read anything above, cause I'm sure it has spoilers.

Episode 1:
VIEW CONTENT:
Varys-Tyrion:
Now, that was a funny dialogue. Based on what I have heard about post-patricide Tyrion, I expected only gloom.
I didn't expect Varys to come out so soon as Targaryen loyalist.
Also, is it me, or Tyrion's hair are way too dark for a half-Tagaryen half-Lanister person?

Snow-Stannis:
Damn, taking the wildlings to attack the North, tens of thousands of them BTW, is indeed smart. They wanted to go anyway.
However, Mance sounds right; even if he bent the knee, the tens of thousands will not and they will just give him the finger.
Snow stole Stannis' victory though in the end.

Daenerys:
Dragons are not puppies... If direwolves weren't good pets for ladies, it's not a wonder that dragons are not either.
Episode 2:
VIEW CONTENT:
Arya:
Certainly doesn't look like a 10-years old or so.
And since when is Braavos like a Greek island?!? Throw a few sat-dishes on the houses and cars on the big roads and it would be exact.
I see she still puts Mountain in her litany of hate... Nobody brought the news to her it seems.

Does the show have Arya's murder with the poisoned coins?

Also, I didn't like the re-inclusion of Jaqen.

Cersei - Jaime:
Cersei hinting that Jaime has been neglecting his duty as a father... was rich. And somehow she become more emotional about Tommen marrying Margaery Tyrell than when talking about Joffrey's death.
It's not a worse fate. Loras was right when he told his sister than having Cersei as her mother in law would be a terrible fate.
Later, Cersei watches how her illusion of power doesn't hold much when her uncle, a man with real power now tells her to get a grip more or less.

Daenerys - Barristan:
That was a good talk, about how her enemies were not lying and he was [insert bad word here]

Varys-Tyrion:
"How many dwarves are there? Would Cersei kill them all?" is actually not a question Tyrion would make. He knows the answer since Cersei ordered the death of babies.

Snow:
Well, it seems with the gradual break from the books the show turns more to the theatrics of shows as we know them, including predictable ties.
Episode 3:
VIEW CONTENT:
Tommen:
When Tommen grew so large? Wasn't he like 8-9 years old when Tyrion sent him away in disguise?
Joffrey was supposedly 15-16 when he died and Tommen is the 3rd kid I think.
That realization, that he was at most 12-13 made viewing the wedding night... uncomfortable for me.
I've been used to a lot through the years, the apparent paidophilia in the GoT still disturbs me.
Robert and that teenage girl in season 1, Daenerys again in season 1, Tommen and Margarey...

Anyway, back to the happy couple of the 12-years old sex champion and Margarey, he seems a sweet boy. Who raised him in the books? Nannies while Cersei was busy spoiling Joffrey?

Sansa:
Somehow she believed Littlefinger that betrayed her father about what are her best interests when he bartered her to the people that killed her brother and mother... How is that possible?

Brienne and Pod:
If Ned had any bastards after all, it would be Pod for sure. He's dense, stoic and loyal to a fault.

Stannis & Jon Snow:
I think one of the best scenes I've watched so far was when Stannis and Snow talk after Snow has been elected commander, when an annoyed Stannis instructs Snow on rulership (and not keeping enemies close) and then Davos explaining that sitting in frozen castles isn't exactly helpful.
Then the execution was also nice.
What -exactly- did Janos Slynt expect to happen when he called the Night's watch bastard lowlives and refused a sensible order to man a fort?
The night's watch is composed of people that would be condemned to death; everyone's one step from beheading.

Bolton & Littlefinger:
Bolton doesn't trust Littlefinger further than he can toss him. :P
Episode 4:
VIEW CONTENT:
Margarey & Tommen
OK, Tommen is exceptionally naive and trusting. I loved the surprised "Don't you and mother get along?!?" to Margarey.

Daenerys:
Well, Barristan died well.
Episode 5:
VIEW CONTENT:
Jon Snow:
I especially liked when Aemon told Jon Snow "Do it!" before Jon Snow even told him what he was thinking.
However, unchaining someone whose whole culture has been fighting you after a 2-min speech or telling veterans of a 8000 year war that it's time to capitulate to the enemy is IMO unlikely to end as well as it went for Snow. I fully expected someone to throttle him, the wildligns or the NWatch.

Tyrion:
Soo... he admits he has to keep drinking. Acceptance that you're an alcoholic is the first step. I would really love to see him break away from the bottle.
I -loved- the part in Valyria.
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

The season in general, solid, if marred by some really lazy writing, especially in the second half of the season. Universal consensus is that the producers need to ramp things up next season, and I am inclined to share that opinion.

I am curious as to how season 6 goes, because the brand, with the book series conclusion overdue, is at a critical point. For the first time since season 1, the series is under real pressure to deliver a satisfactory product - and perhaps the producers get the clue, and try to deliver.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Actually, I liked the second half of the season more...
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Watching GoT

Does Arya's story convenges with the rest at some point? It's certainly interesting and all... but it's like reading a parallel story.
Her actions so far haven't affected the outcome of the war or anything since her wolf attacked Joffrey.

Episode 6:
VIEW CONTENT:
Arya:
Arya got beaten for lying for hating the Hound... IIRC in the book she had already dropped his name from the list.
And was that scene with the father and the little girl when Arya is alone and asked to kill someone's daughter by her father? While it seems odd, unlike many non-books scene that seems to fit. If that's actually in the book, can someone tell me where so I can find it and read it?

Tyrion:
The scene where, after fights and weeks spent together with Jorah, he gets asked why was a reminder of the old Tyrion scenes.
I also liked the question "Have you ever heard baby dragons singing?" when dragons were extinct for millenia.

Cersei and littlefinger:
Cersei is not wrong here (albeit hypocritical). Loras was her fiance (in the series) and he was indeed prefering the company of boys.
It was an insult to her, as it was an insult to her that he was arrested.
And Littlefinger's gamble is good too. He moves closer to Sansa, secures a SECOND of the 7 kingdoms and makes alliances.

Loras' trial:
Manhandling the queen in front of the Kingsguard, by a sorry band of people with clubs and rags? What the Kingsguard has fallen into?

Sansa's wedding:
I was glad that Sansa saw through that trollop Myranda when she was trying to scare her and put her in her place.
I didn't like what she had to go through in the end though of course.
Episode 7:
Better episode in all... still lesser than previous seasons but one of the best so far in this season.
VIEW CONTENT:
Sansa:
What's wrong with her? AGAIN? She told Bolton's creature about the loyalist plot to help her! After she admited he betrayed her family.
If that's the last Stark, then the North is doomed.
I know these parts are not in the series, but I hoped in the series they would have made her smarter than Book-Sansa.

Davos-Stannis:
About the disagreement between Stannis and Davos on whether to press on in the bad weather. Stannis seems right here. They can't just turn tail because they were caught by bad weather; it will grow worse not better and if they lost 500 sellswords, they would lose many more in the years to come.
No, it's now or never; Stannis is right. It was a gamble from the beginning IMO.

And sacrificing one's daughter? Stannis' own, legitimate daughter? That woman is insane. Stannis too if he accepts.

Sam:
Sam should have remembered his vows and Gilli should have respected those vows since truth be told, few can remember them for long when they're being kissed.

Tyrion-Jorah:
Tyrion, chained, won against a slaver. :/ That's stretching believability. That guy holding the chain was probably accustomed to people trying to resist.
In any case, I liked how "Jorah the Westerosi knight" was considered exotic in Essos.
Towards the end when he enters the pits, I felt pity about the others. For all his shortcomings, Jorah is indeed one of the best warriors out there, while they were untrained lads.

Daenerys:
Well, paramour on the side or no, she would have to produce a LEGITIMATE heir to her husband sooner or later. Being impregnated by an emanicipated sellsword won't do.
Also, I thought she had made clear that only free men would fight in the pits. She didn't ask the gladiators whether they were freemen.

Tommen:
And after the scene with Daenerys being told that rulers are butchers or meat... we have Tommen sullying that he can't do anything to save his queen. Sending the watch to demilitarize the Faith doesn't cross his mind.
And does he grow with every episode? He's taller than Cersei now!

Jaime-Myrcelle:
Wow, her rejection of him and his interest on her wellbeing probably stang a lot since he's actually her father. When she told him "You don't know me" you could see him stunned. Excellent scene.

Bronn-sandsnake:
I liked the scene. Not sure why... OK, I know why. But still would have been interesting scene even without the extra flesh.

Cersei:
That smirk on her face when she enters Margarey's cell... I thought that Margarey would throttle her.
Cersei has gone too long without proper company from a man... since all her close relatives are dead, captive, celibate or too young it seems she can only take pleasure in gloating.
Man, arresting her and seeing her screaming in rage about the same fate that she visited on others was good. Good, good, good.
Episode 8:
Another good episode.
VIEW CONTENT:
Daenerys-Tyrion:
The meeting when Tyrion, in chains, asks to be given the position of adviser is very nice.

Snow-Wildlings-big fight:
Why the wildlings and everyone consider so hard to win the White Walkers? Dragon glass is not mandatory; you hack them and burn them. OK, they put up a good fight but that's not terrible.
And since when the wildlings want to become farmers? Farmers bend the knee. They are raiders.
Also, Tormund is a bit... rose-eyed. "Make peace with the people we've been killing for generations" The way I see it, it's the other way around. The wildlings were kept in check by the Nightwatch.
"I lost 50 men when Mance attacked the wall!" Lol, that says it all. Mance lost thousands.
Also, why Snow's sword defeated the Wight? Vaelyrian steal destroys them too?

Anyway, the tally of the fight left the WWalkers way more powerful. They lost permanently what, 50 obedients? 70? 100? And they gained thousands.
Episode 9:
VIEW CONTENT:
Snow:
When Snow arrives at the castle, I can see about 600-700 people in the band. He didn't do very well. But at least his enemies realize he has a good heart, even though they disagree with him. Gone are the snickering remarks that he thinks he's better than everyone else.

Jaime:
When a famous poisoner doesn't drink during a toast, I wouldn't touch the wine either.

Arya:
That with the Tyrel and Kingsguard... that seemed out of place. Politics weren't her task.
And how old is Series Arya by now? Started at 9. Is she like 12 now? She has no business in a brothel.

Stannis:
Sacrificing his daughter... in a cruel execution. And he doesn't even have the ambition to become a King, he just thinks he has to become so, because it's his destiny and all.
Stannis has lost it.
Also, it was snowing and she hasn't been covered with tar. The execution would have taken hours to kill her.

Daenerys:
In the Arena, it's coming quite clear that Jorah will not content to just stand away. She has to get his head eventually even though he saved her life.
He KEEPS defying her. Banishment doesn't mean take a couple of days off and return.

I also was quite sure that Daenerys' fiance would be behind an assassination attempt, I was really surprised he was killed. Tyrion's "cynic" face when he saw the dragon was awesome too.
While I liked the fight, I wonder how can someone involve hundreds of people in a murder plot without anyone outside every having a wiff. This is GoT, backstabbing and betrayals are commonplace.
Episode 10:
VIEW CONTENT:
Stannis:
Madness has it's price buddy. Good riddance.

Sam:
I don't understand why the citadel would accept a member of the night's watch. Also, can you go to the citadel as a member of the watch? I thought Aemon came to the citadel AFTER he was made maester.

Arya:
OK, killing that (sadist paidophile) was certainly not what she was supposed to do. But I won't complain.

Jaime-Myrcella:
During the goodbyes, I also wouldn't kiss an excellent poisoner on the lips for farewell when she held a grudge. Especially if I've been around the place for years to know the stories.
I kept watching the scene waiting for her to keel over and die from the long-farewell. A pity for the little girl though.
Yet, Myrcella's "I'm glad that you had incestus relations with my mother" makes me suddenly pessimistic about her character after all.

Tyrion:
While I understand why they wanted him as steward, he's way better as the councilor, not the steward.

Danny:
At least Drogon acting like a teenager means he's not seriously hurt. If the dragons started dying I would be very annoyed.

Davos:
How many people have he lost in the series? He doesn't have anyone left! IIRC in the books he had a son remaining.

Snow:
I really can't see how they intend to bring him back in season 6 and 7...
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Alhoon: Episode 10
VIEW CONTENT:
People think Snow is going to be brought back by "Warging" into Ghost and he might survive that way.... It's questionable if he'll be "dead" but also still alive character wise. We'll just have to wait and see though. :)