American Horror Story

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: American Horror Story

Post by alhoon »

Episode 12.
In the first few moments we see the crystal clear moral clarity of a serial killer exposing modern hypocrisy. :)
VIEW CONTENT:
I wonder how many supreme-wannabes are going to be. No wonder Fiona planned to butcher them all to be on the safe side.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

alhoon wrote:Episode 12.
In the first few moments we see the crystal clear moral clarity of a serial killer exposing modern hypocrisy. :)
VIEW CONTENT:
I wonder how many supreme-wannabes are going to be. No wonder Fiona planned to butcher them all to be on the safe side.
VIEW CONTENT:
I did tell the wife, "Why can't they all be Supreme? That way everyone wins?"
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Nice season. While the previous one was better IMO. More believability. This one had too more plot holes (weird decisions). Still, I liked it very much.
VIEW CONTENT:
7 wonders:

Mind control: Really that was a low blow Madison...
Netherworld: Woopsy. Didn't see that coming.
Teleport: Well, playing D&D helps anticipate these kind of problems

BTW, it's been clear for some episodes that you can crush buses full of people or set whole houses on fire... except when you really need to do it to survive.

I would also say that Myrtle needed to take her medication and stay quiet and that whatever was said and done, I wouldn't turn my back to Fiona.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Well, it's back. Anyone watching AHS: Freak Show?

So far, lots of classic circus tropes, reminding us Ravenloft fans of our favorite Carnival, of course. But Elsa is no Isolde, that's for sure. :)

I'm not loving it. (To be honest, I lost interest in Coven with a few episodes left and then had to slog through them recently.) But it does have its moments. Love the clown, but hate the "spoiled rich kid" subplot. He's completely and utterly unbelievable.
VIEW CONTENT:
I was so disappointed when that bowling pin to the head didn't kill him. He's mildly more tolerable as a creepy-clown wannabe, but I will still be cheering his inevitable demise, may it be at the hands of his new friend.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Well, it's back. Anyone watching AHS: Freak Show?

So far, lots of classic circus tropes, reminding us Ravenloft fans of our favorite Carnival, of course. But Elsa is no Isolde, that's for sure. :)

I'm not loving it. (To be honest, I lost interest in Coven with a few episodes left and then had to slog through them recently.) But it does have its moments. Love the clown, but hate the "spoiled rich kid" subplot. He's completely and utterly unbelievable.
VIEW CONTENT:
I was so disappointed when that bowling pin to the head didn't kill him. He's mildly more tolerable as a creepy-clown wannabe, but I will still be cheering his inevitable demise, may it be at the hands of his new friend.
VIEW CONTENT:
Yeah, not too thrilled with this season so far either. The clown is good, but has to be treated LIKE IT IS THE SCARIEST CLOWN EVER and not like a random guy in a low key suit. The little girl from the (I believe) the 3rd episode who was upset with the clown looking at her must be the only person not on their meds in 1952 Florida. I hate the brat too, knew he was going to join the second the psycho clown didn't kill him or kidnap him outright (and am also waiting for his painful death). Also not to fond of the anachronistic musical numbers as they are now in there regardless of whether or not the troupe is performing (I am just waiting for Queen's "The Show Must Go On", probably in the season finale). I did enjoy the last episode with the two faced killer ghost and the whole story behind him (also a fan of the actor; he was in Hunger Games, American Beauty, and Ghost Rider). Final comment, I am glad that Evan Peters is getting a part better than troubled golem from last season, still liked him the best in season one.
And am done with my rant. Still looking for inspiration for the Carnival, but am not seeing it. I loved season one and couldn't wait until my group got to Mordent.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Haven't watched it yet. I wait for a few episodes to rack up.

I loved coven, but season 2 was my favorite.
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

alhoon wrote:Haven't watched it yet. I wait for a few episodes to rack up.

I loved coven, but season 2 was my favorite.
I understand that (my wife and I just don't have the time or patience to wait), but we disliked season 2 the most because we went from watching the first season on dvd in like a week to week by week for the the second one. Didn't help that we missed the mid season opener after the winter break and got really, really confused. We went back to it after a couple of episodes, but it left a bit of a sour taste in our mouths as the building storyline was a bit upended. I am sure if we rewatched it, it would be fine. It's like going on vacation and leaving your suitcase at home. Not the trip's fault, but you will not have too many fond memories for it.
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Haven't watched the newest, but I'm not really being sold this season the way I was with 2 and some of 3.

Things I like:
- Kathy Bates's character (as of previous episode, she's shown a lot of depth...plus, how can you not like Cathy Bates?)
- Elsa (not remotely likeable, so far, but like all of Lange's characters intriguing).
- The retro-feeling cinematography in some of the scenes. It's helped make this season feel somewhat unique.
- The clown. Yeah, creepy clowns are overdone, but I actually kind of like this one. The costume design is creepy, but he doesn't feel over-the-top movie slasher creepy. He's not Jason Voorhees who's going to take a couple gunblasts and keep on coming. He's not Dr. Thredson from season two who is hideously damaged, but still somewhat romanticized. This is a disturbed, dirty guy with a knife. The only thing supernatural or unusual about him seems to be the fact that no one realizes how goddamned creepy he actually is. He's such a normal level of screwed up that he could be lurking in your own back yard. Like...right...now...
(P.S. My money is on the freakshow's landlord.)

Things I don't like:
- I get what they were trying to do with the anachronistic musical numbers, but I don't think they pulled it off. At all. It really feels like they jumped the shark with those. They also tend to get stuck in my head. :(
- Bet and Dot seem...kind of uninspired. With the rest of the freak show's members displaying more true to life conditions, the sisters' improbable deformity stands out...but not in a good way. They're more a special effect than they are characters. And personality wise, it seems like they're either headed for a fairly predictable conflict, or an equally predictable "shocking" reversal. We'll see if anything surprising happens.
- Edward Mordrake - Interesting myth, but I'm not sure why--after ghosts, aliens and witches, in previous seasons--for some reason our first peek into unmistakeably supernatural happenings in this season seems weirdly out of place. Again, haven't seen part 2 of that episode yet.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I haven't seen the latest one either, so I'm at the same point as you.
Hazgarn wrote:The only thing supernatural or unusual about him seems to be the fact that no one realizes how goddamned creepy he actually is.
VIEW CONTENT:
Well that and his messed-up face, which we saw episode 2 or 3, I forget which... did you miss it?If you saw the 1st Edward Mordrake episode, you should have seen that by now.
- Bet and Dot seem...kind of uninspired. With the rest of the freak show's members displaying more true to life conditions, the sisters' improbable deformity stands out...but not in a good way. They're more a special effect than they are characters.
tell that to The Hensel twins. :) I'm pretty sure they were the inspiration for these two. I disagree with you here. I love the job that Sarah Paulson is doing portraying them as two distinct characters, and that's coming from someone who didn't really love her acting in past seasons. I find them intriguing. It's a character relationship we haven't really seen much on film before because of the technical challenge. (no, Stuck on you doesn't count) But now that that issue is "solved," I'm interested to see where they go with it.
- Edward Mordrake - Interesting myth, but I'm not sure why--after ghosts, aliens and witches, in previous seasons--for some reason our first peek into unmistakeably supernatural happenings in this season seems weirdly out of place. Again, haven't seen part 2 of that episode yet.
Yeah, I agree here. I feel like the supernatural should have been established right from the start. Up until this point, I figured we were in for a more realistic world this season. (though apparently, we're in the same world as Asylum, if Pepper is the same Pepper). (outside show info spoiler)
VIEW CONTENT:
And I know from a casting spoiler article that she is. Sister Mary Eunice is supposed to have a cameo soon too.
Even the clown's
VIEW CONTENT:
face could just be a deformity. I don't know...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

American Horror Story season 1 (the one I haven't watched, as I wait for season 4 to finish before I pick it up):

I'm at the episode right after the hallowing episode. I have a question: Why they still inhabit that house? Let's forget the Supernatural any kind of superstition about the history of the place and look what the people there actually know:
VIEW CONTENT:
A group of serial killer imitators tried to kill them all attracted by the history of the place. A few nights later, at Hallowing the mistress shows up, really messed up in the head and ready to kill people. The security guy tells them that she escaped his custody and is still at large.
Everyone seems to have little trouble getting in and out of the house, including old ladies, weird teenagers with shady past or girls with mental deficiencies.

So... why would a pregnant woman remain alone with her teenager daughter in a house that's a magnet for serial killers and a vengeful homicidal ex running around?
No money? Couch surf. Go to your folks. Your cousins. Your college buddies. Sell the house for 15000$ realizing it's best to lose your money than your life. Work double shifts at McDonalds. Anything's better than staying there.

And that's without mentioning the increasing signs of supernatural stuff
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Yeah, season 1 had me screaming at the screen for them to leave the house on multiple occasions. But just go with it, it's a fun ride. :)

Or assume the house has some mind-influencing effect that makes them not want to leave....
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

That would be some interesting border effect... you realize that you don't want to leave however horrific the place is. Unlike the theatre of that lunatic that surrounds it with fear so that people turn back in panic, is there any domain that has people "realize" at the borders that for whatever reason, they don't want to leave?
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:That would be some interesting border effect... you realize that you don't want to leave however horrific the place is. Unlike the theatre of that lunatic that surrounds it with fear so that people turn back in panic, is there any domain that has people "realize" at the borders that for whatever reason, they don't want to leave?

Interesting effect! Might be stolen for a haunted house!
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

American Horror Story 4th season:

OK, they managed to do the unthinkable. They managed to shock and horrify me in the 1st episode. That "talk" with the conjoined twins about the pleasures of the flesh was a shock. Not enough to stop me from finishing my breakfast, but still shocking enough to make me not enjoy the rest of my breakfast.
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

heheh.... for all that I complain about this show, I do love it for the moments....