American Horror Story

Books, movies, television and everything else
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

American Horror Story

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Anyone watching this? I saw the first 2 episodes and well... I dunno if I'm gonna continue.

It seems they've got a bunch of creative and creepy horror images, and then hacked together a terrible and unbelievable story around it. The main characters are not remotely likable. They make decisions that are stupid even for horror story protagonists. And some of the horror motifs are blatant ripoffs of things we've seen before.

But the acting is good, (particularly Jessica Lange as the disturbingly chipper, uncouth, and sadistic neighbor) the creepy images are sometimes super-creepy, (particularly the housekeeper that everyone sees as a shuffling old lady, except the dad who sees her as a sexy young exhibitionist.), and it's created by the same folks that made Glee, which is both hilarious for the incongruity, and also gives me some hope that it could work. Like Glee, it sacrifices believable plot and characters for tone and ambiance, but hits the ambiance hard and nails it. And hey, the ghost in the gimp suit impregnating the Mom has to give them some brownie points, no? And I give them some credit for subverting the "virgins always survive" cliche on the second episode.

I dunno.... It might give me some inspiration for RL, but if they pull another "mysterious figure out of focus moves past the camera in the foreground unnoticed by the victim in focus in the background" shot, I may have to give up.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: American Horror Story

Well the 3rd episode was an improvement. Quite a bit of backstory, some of which was very Ravenloftian. Still can't stand the leads, though. I think the maid is my favorite character. Very tragic, very well acted by both the old and the young actress (and yes, the young version is drop dead gorgeous). Connie the creepy neighbor is awesome as well. I'm not sure what to make of the creepy burned guy. He comes to the "rescue" this episode, but I still can't figure out his motives.

And yes, I notice that I've been calling all the characters "the creepy ____" It's really the only way to describe most of them. Creepy maid, creepy neighbor, creepy Down's Syndrome girl, creepy burned guy, creepy doctor, other creepy doctor, creepy troubled teen, creepy dead twins, creepy rubber gimp suit fetish guy (ok, I guess I could leave the "creepy" off of him...) You get the idea.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

I actually just found out that it was on last night because of your thread, as I've been waiting for it to make its debut. Had to backtrack a little and find all of the episodes, but after several hours, I am now finally caught up on them all.

The show is rather odd for the first couple of episodes as all are while they set up the elements and introduce us to what is going on. I am also not a fan of the characters really, save for the maid. The two women they have playing the role are truly amazing, and I enjoy their performance very much. Also, you were right about the third episode giving a Ravenloft feel to the show. For now they will have my attention as long as the show continues along this same basic path. Should that change, I might decide to drop it and look elsewhere for something to watch.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I happened upon the first episode by accident on FX but not watched any more. I'm waiting for the season to finish its run, then I'll just sit down and watch the rest over a few sittings. it strikes me as a show that would annoy me if I watched it weekly.

Still, I did quite enjoy the first episode, but was hoping for a little more.
Swallow your soul!
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I must be honest, Wiccy; I agree. They could do or could have done a lot more with it than they have thus far. It is a little bit disappointing.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, I got sucked in. I'm now officially enjoying it.
VIEW CONTENT:
Now that Violet's finally clued in, and maybe Vivian too, as of last episode, things should pick up nicely. I just hope the Violet/Tate storyline doesn't become Twilight with a ghost. (Although in my day, we just called that "Ghost.")
I'm having fun trying to piece together the backstory with Constance, Larry, et al, and Moira continues to be awesome in both forms.
VIEW CONTENT:
Then we've got the demon/angel-twins plot in effect too, and some good excuses for not leaving the house.
It's like the Gothic Earth Eternal version of the House on Gryphon Hill. :)
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I feel like I missed something somehow.
VIEW CONTENT:
Where is the demon/angel twins?
As for not leaving the house, I agree completely. :wink: I do like how it seems the house is watching over and guarding this family, whereas others it let be killed flat out.
-Mordentish proverb
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, it's possible I'm reading into to things too much, or have been tainted by online speculation, but:
VIEW CONTENT:
a) Vivian is having twins (according to the doctor)
b) at least one looks like the devil sometimes (according to the ultrasound technician who fainted, quit her job and now hangs out at church)
c) Her pregnancy is proceeding unusually rapidly
d) She feels compelled to eat gross things like brains
e) The day she conceived, she had sex once with her husband and once with the mysterious "Rubberman"

So the theory goes that one of the twins was fathered by a human and one by a ghost. One good twin, one evil twin.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Well, it's possible I'm reading into to things too much, or have been tainted by online speculation, but:
VIEW CONTENT:
a) Vivian is having twins (according to the doctor)
b) at least one looks like the devil sometimes (according to the ultrasound technician who fainted, quit her job and now hangs out at church)
c) Her pregnancy is proceeding unusually rapidly
d) She feels compelled to eat gross things like brains
e) The day she conceived, she had sex once with her husband and once with the mysterious "Rubberman"

So the theory goes that one of the twins was fathered by a human and one by a ghost. One good twin, one evil twin.
Ah!! I didn't think of it that way. Interesting idea, actually. I'm interested to find out more about the ghost in the rubber suit. Also more about the demon looking fellow in the basement: where he comes from, who and what he is, etc.
-Mordentish proverb
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, I just watched the last episode, which answered part of my question. Interesting tale, really. I'm wondering if there's anyone there that's actually good, though. A small sliver of light in all that darkness. Guess I'll have to keep watching to see...
-Mordentish proverb
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Guardian of Twilight wrote:Well, I just watched the last episode, which answered part of my question. Interesting tale, really. I'm wondering if there's anyone there that's actually good, though. A small sliver of light in all that darkness. Guess I'll have to keep watching to see...
I haven't seen the latest episode yet, it's on my Tivo, but yeah, I agree. "Good" is a relative term.
VIEW CONTENT:
There really aren't any heroes in this show. And the dad is not even in the top 5 "good" guys. I called the twin he likely fathered "good" simply because he's at least a living human, if a scummy one.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Since I've only seen the first episode, any chance of putting up spoiler filters? lol.
Swallow your soul!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Since I've only seen the first episode, any chance of putting up spoiler filters? lol.
Sorry! done! Will try to be more careful in the future.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Since I've only seen the first episode, any chance of putting up spoiler filters? lol.
I've tried to keep comments I make kind of vague, but I'm sorry if I've spoiled anything, Wiccy. :oops:

Gonzo, let me know when you've seen the new episode. I'd be happy to discuss it here with you. With spoiler concealers in place, of course. :wink:
-Mordentish proverb
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Caught up this weekend:
VIEW CONTENT:
I was pretty disappointed with the Rubberman reveal. Yes, we knew Tate wore the suit once before after he "found it in the garbage" but having it always be him take a huge amount of the mystique away. I'm not scared of the Rubberman anymore. Well, I'm scared in the sense that he's a murdering ghost, but not in the eerie sense. He's just a pathetic teen psychopath, not something more creepy and sinister.

I did like the ghosts working together, under Hayden's direction, to gaslight Vivian. But I'm not sure what Hayden's plan is. Viv goes to the "Loony Bin" as she said, and maybe can't keep her babies, but why would they end up back at the house where she and Nora can have them? Is Hayden counting on Ben getting custody? Also, did Tate have to impregnate a living woman (Viv) to make a baby for Nora? If his plumbing works, wouldn't Nora's work too?
Or is it supposed all be "ghost logic"? The Ghosts do what they do because they aren't "whole" and can only think things through as far as their own obsessions will allow?
VIEW CONTENT:
Ben up and around after his "through and through" gunshot wound was kinda lame, though. But I did love the security guard (was his name Luke?) this episode. His confrontation with Ben in front of the cops was great, and then to follow it up by seeing that Vivian really was losing it was pretty tragic.