Cool TV serie - recommandations?

Books, movies, television and everything else
Joël of the FoS

Re: Cool TV serie - recommandations?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

So American Horror Story it will be :)

Patrick, I found this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2521668/ so The Revenants are available in English as the Returned. Guys, check it out. Low budget, but very effective. The end leaves more questions unanswered than it gives answers.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

High Priest Mikhal wrote:One series I recommend fellow zombie fanatics avoid is The Walking Dead. I've only seen the first three seasons on Netflix but it comes off as a soap opera with zombies. Drama in zombie media is okay, but this is so soapy I still haven't gotten all the suds out of my TV
Not in agreement with you here :) Walking Dead is in the line of the classic Romero movies, that makes you think "what would I do if I was there?".

It's not so much about showing people whacking zombies (which is fun too :) ), it's really about the hard choices one could/should/would make, and how humans can become much worse than monsters in this situation. Really, we are close to classic Romero era in this! :)

I'm a fan of the comics (Patrick's fault!) and of the TV serie.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Joël of the FoS wrote:So American Horror Story it will be :)
Yay! Come tell us what you think in the AHS thread once you've seen a few episodes..
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Watch the Asylum first!
It even has a few things mentioned in the QtRaven about Asylums!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Jonathan Winters wrote: Oh, I don't think I mentioned this: Les Revenants. It is from France. Free on tou.tv
I really, really enjoyed this. Seven episodes I think. There will be a second season. But it ALMOST could have ended like it did.
Extremely atmospheric!!!! Quite a few WTF? moments.
Go. Watch. I will be waiting.
I just binge-watched all 8 episodes, and greatly enjoyed it. Thanks for letting us know about it!
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Joël of the FoS

Catman Jim wrote:
Jonathan Winters wrote: Oh, I don't think I mentioned this: Les Revenants. It is from France. Free on tou.tv
I really, really enjoyed this. Seven episodes I think. There will be a second season. But it ALMOST could have ended like it did.
Extremely atmospheric!!!! Quite a few WTF? moments.
Go. Watch. I will be waiting.
I just binge-watched all 8 episodes, and greatly enjoyed it. Thanks for letting us know about it!
Great. The end has more question than answers, isn't it?

They are filming season 2 in Feb-March 2014, that will be out in Autumn 2014.

Joël
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Glad you like it Catman Jim!

And yes, Joël, the end raises more questions than answers...

But I really liked it. It's one of those shows where the road is more interesting than the destination almost.

And I'm really looking forward to season 2!!!

About The Walking Dead (TV show), I think some people are being kinda harsh. Example: When Frank Darabont quit the show (around the middle of season 2), people were complaining about THE FIRST EPISODE (Frank was still showrunner) that you could tell Frank had quit.... Gah, I really love the internet sometimes.

And to echo Joël, yes, I really, really like the show too (the comic is still better but that's neither here nor there). Season was somewhat weaker at times, but season 3 was really strong.

It's really an excellent show.

Sorry for the short answers, gotta go. Let me know if you want more thoughts from me!

:)

Pat P
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Netflix has Dark Shadows...
Argh! I had to open my big mouth. Yesterday I said to my wife, "Maybe I'll just stay home from work tomorrow and watch all of Dark Shadows on Netflix." (It's funny because there are hundreds of episodes, you see... It's not possible to watch them all in one day unless you watch in fast forward.)

And now Dark Shadows is being removed from Netflix as of 1/1. Sorry guys, it's all my fault. Better start watching in fast-forward right now.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Jekyll is a british modern take on the old story. I watched a few episodes and did quite like them.

This list on imdb mught also give you a few more series to watch Kolchak the Nightstalker (by Wes Craven) and The League of Gentlemen (1999 TV Series) look promising. I watched a few episodes of Hannibal (2013) and they were excellent too. Anyone remember American Gothic?
Eddyspaghetti
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Eddyspaghetti »

I had always thought American Gothic was a modern-day Ravenloft setting. While I don't know for certain if Shawn Cassidy had ever played, I would not have been surprised to learn it after watching. Depraved sherriff with complete power, partially supernatural, over his county, opposed by some do-gooders that happen to drop in, his apparent weakness is his son, weird supernatural stuff happening all around. Seems pretty much like a Domain.
Anyone know if this has any truth to it?
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Eddyspaghetti wrote:I had always thought American Gothic was a modern-day Ravenloft setting. While I don't know for certain if Shawn Cassidy had ever played, I would not have been surprised to learn it after watching. Depraved sherriff with complete power, partially supernatural, over his county, opposed by some do-gooders that happen to drop in, his apparent weakness is his son, weird supernatural stuff happening all around. Seems pretty much like a Domain.

Wasn't Gary Cole in American Gothic? Maybe I have the wrong show....
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

tarlyn wrote:
Eddyspaghetti wrote:I had always thought American Gothic was a modern-day Ravenloft setting. While I don't know for certain if Shawn Cassidy had ever played, I would not have been surprised to learn it after watching. Depraved sherriff with complete power, partially supernatural, over his county, opposed by some do-gooders that happen to drop in, his apparent weakness is his son, weird supernatural stuff happening all around. Seems pretty much like a Domain.

Wasn't Gary Cole in American Gothic? Maybe I have the wrong show....
He was and I am pretty sure he was the sheriff.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well I've ordered American Horror Story S1.

(And on an unrelated note: Person of Interest S.2 - Which S. had me practically screaming at my TV! In a good way... But still.. :) )

PP
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Eddyspaghetti
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Eddyspaghetti »

Sorry, I was a bit muddled on my American Gothic post.
Gary Cole was indeed the sheriff. Shaun Cassidy was the series creator.
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ok.... I am watching Am-Hor Story.

Wow.

That is one show with a really, really odd rythm. I am really mesmerized by this one. Since season one got really good reviews, I'm not too worried that it'll end badly. But it could become a train wreck. I have three episodes left to Watch...

PP
www.bullonir.wikidot.com