It's been a year since the Wheel of Time series ended...

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

It's been a year since the Wheel of Time series ended...

Post by alhoon »

What a ride that was... :(

About that time I started reading the final book with a bitter-sweet sense that it all ends there. About that time, I would be looking for the next book in the series.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: It's been a year since the Wheel of Time series ended...

Post by Zilfer »

I hear this is a pretty good series, though I've yet to read any of them.... in fact I think my Grandpa just gave me one of the many books though.... not sure which one. :D
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would start at the prequel.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Really? I would start at the beginning, (Eye of the World) and then do the prequel later... I don't think the prequel on its own would hook people. It's better once you're familiar with the world and the characters
VIEW CONTENT:
(like Siuan, for example)
Ordinarily, I'd recommend starting at the beginning, and only reading the prequel when you run out of books and are waiting for the next one.. But now there is no next one. :( So I guess I'd say read it in order of publication, which puts the prequel after book 10.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Actually I think that's the book in question now that you mention it!
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

In my opinion, it's more fun to read it from the prequel and then figure how the characters of the prequel grew up to be important 20 years later.
Here's why:
- IMO the first book while it starts in a small village and expands... it expands a lot. The prequel introduces the White Tower in all its majesty and you learn about far away in a slower pace. 90% of the action happens in just 2 places in the prequel, unlike the multitude of places in the first book.
- Eye of the world while introductory isn't as developed as the prequel; some things while Jordan was writing it seemed to be vague as if the writer hasn't made up his mind. Like the first season of a series, the book struggles to find its character.
On the other hand the prequel was written at a time Jordan knew his characters, their future and the world very very well.
- The prequel does a far better job explaining magic.
- I believe it's more interesting to see the people in the first book and then discover them in positions of power and learn their fate reading the story, than reading about them, learning who's darkfriend and who died and then read about them in the prequel.

I also suggest...
skipping book 10 altogether. Read the chapter-by-chapter synopsis from a site like dragonmount
My DMGuild work!
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

I started reading this series when I was 16, I gave up at some point in my late twenties, when I realised that I just wanted it to end, which was a massive shame because I had loved the books for so many years. I'm now almost 40 and could try again now that an end exists, but I think the age of the megabook is for me at least over.
Vorcoth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Vorcoth »

One of the greatest series I've ever read.

I agree that it bogs down at around Book 9/book10 because the author feel into a rabbit hole of developing too many minor plot threads, but when Sanderson took over the writing, he did an absolutely brilliant job of getting everything back on track and wrapping the series beautifully.