Salvatore's Ghost King

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Salvatore's Ghost King

Post by alhoon »

Without wanting to give spoilers... the book is more grim and dark than usual for Salvatore, a lot more. There's no real "victory" in the end. The world is left a bit safer place but at a great toll on the heroes involved, all of which are changed by the end.

I kinda felt... cheated. When I read Ravenloft novels I expect such things. But from FR books featuring Drizzt, I expect a grand finale with fireworks and everyone dancing happily at the end of a trilogy. It's not a bad book, far from it. It has the tons of battles and actions and a lot of flashy magic. It's just that it is pessimistic and dark.

Recommended for those that DON'T like Salvatore's usual books. :) This one has more character development than the previous books. Which were also kinda dark.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Salvatore's Ghost King

Post by Dark Angel »

Agreed, the unfortunate ending had pretty much the same for me as well. The typical 'happy little world' was marred with its conclusion, but I will say this, it had fantastic combat sequences!
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Salvatore's Ghost King

Post by alhoon »

On those, while they were indeed, very good... it screamed too much of "4e is here! You should try it!"
The advertisement was so much that I actually asked my sis if she wanted to play a bit of 4e instead of 5e.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!