American Horror Story 6: Roanoke

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

American Horror Story 6: Roanoke

Post by alhoon »

Watched the first episode, watching the 2nd.
Seems a good season again. I like the "Change" of the format to make it seem like a documentary. It's slower than other seasons and more "Grounded" but I find that I like it so far.

But let's be sincere here: Remaining in the house after the 2nd episode stretches reason to breaking. Cynical? Let's get out before the redneck mob kills us. Belief in the SNatural? There's clearly something wrong.
MOST of your life savings (i.e. just 40K$) is not worth staying there.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: American Horror Story 6: Roanoke

Post by alhoon »

Well, up to episode 6 I thought it was a very good season. From episode 6 and now 7, I have to say this: This is the best season of AHS.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yeap, loved it to the end. The best season, and with ties to the 2nd best season (Asylum).
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Wow, I'll have to catch up on this one. I gave up on Hotel after a few eps and didn't come back. But with a review like that...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Lol Ron i did the same thing, maybe once I have time again I"ll check out the new season. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Wow, I'll have to catch up on this one. I gave up on Hotel after a few eps and didn't come back. But with a review like that...
I think that I dropped hotel at like 3-4 episodes. I'm always thinking to go back, but I lack the enthusiasm. The format of this season was so refreshing and I cared about the story and some of the characters.

Yes, it's still AHS with graphic violence* and stupid decisions of "Stay despite the fact that's completely insane to stay".

The first five episodes are good. And then the later 5 are awesome.

*Without spoilers, I would say that this is the grittiest season I've watched. There are a couple of episodes that Drakov would love.
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Wow, I'll have to catch up on this one. I gave up on Hotel after a few eps and didn't come back. But with a review like that...
I think that I dropped hotel at like 3-4 episodes. I'm always thinking to go back, but I lack the enthusiasm. The format of this season was so refreshing and I cared about the story and some of the characters.

Yes, it's still AHS with graphic violence* and stupid decisions of "Stay despite the fact that's completely insane to stay".

The first five episodes are good. And then the later 5 are awesome.

*Without spoilers, I would say that this is the grittiest season I've watched. There are a couple of episodes that Drakov would love.
Encouraging, thanks for letting us know!

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

I just finished watching this with the missus last night. It should be noted that I have watched most (?) of Murder House, all of the Asylum, a few episodes of Coven, most (all?) of Freak Show, and some of Hotel. And by watching or watched I mean being in the room while it was on.

Personally I can't stand the series. To me it's an artsy/yuppie F-U to as many tropes of horror as they can possibly squeeze into a season. It's try hard at times and not try hard enough at others. It's a jumble of poorly-written/over AND underacted dialogue (that sounds like a teenager wrote it or in the least somebody who is hiding their introverted/socially inept nature behind a lexicon), and it's a hard pill to swallow because there are some pretty good seeds peppered throughout the run. You gotta squint real hard, but they're there.

YET, on that same level, I do find myself almost agreeing with some of the humour. I'm undecided as to whether or not it is intentionally placed but I do get a good chuckle at times while "watching" it. I like to believe it's intentional.

The pro-LGBT is a bit strong in that it is more often than not unnecessary to the plot (a fourth wall wink?), much like some of the more graphic scenes in the old Giallo films (I'm personally thinking of Lucio Fulci, whose films I actually enjoy on that same level). It's not a deal breaker, but it's an annoying if momentary plot break. Is this an intentional poke at the unnecessary sex scenes as found in movies of yesteryear? I'm leaning towards it, and like I mentioned earlier, it's one of the chuckles I get out of this series (when I'm not mentally berating it). It's pretentiously saucy (heh to meh), but it's preferred demographic(s) are shouted out to in a painfully obvious way (boo hiss): Glee meets Ed Wood's shadow, as told by neo beatniks to other neo beatniks.

Anyway, that's my stripped down take of the series.

Some good resonance for guys and gals in our line of hobby, but nothing you can't get from browsing and re-skinning history...

Edit: A bit harsh? Yeah, I know. I guess the horror buff in me has been muted for too long when it comes to this particular series and the genre's general mainstream "moving pictures" treatment in the past few decades. So my add-on advice? Treat these words for what they are: faceless rambling that means nothing at the end of the day. If anything, the joke is on me. I watched as much as I did. ;)
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What I get from the review you gave Five is that you watched this season to the bitter end despite not being a fan of the series and failing to watch most of the seasons to end.

While I consider it an excellent season, the best so far... your review could be taken as "the least bad" season. Which is also good. :)
My DMGuild work!
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Alhoon:

ha ha

Yeah, you could take it that way I guess. If you wanted to rearrange it like that. :)

Asylum had a few good themes going on at first, but then the storyline went off and decided to try and flypaper multiple audiences. It was a cross-genre mess, which was my first hint at what (I feel) the show to be about: rudimentary audience skimming. Yet when we all showed up at the house there was nothing really solid enough to keep us intermingled. It's was one clique in that corner, another clique in that one...

Roanoke was the better, but the horrible acting (and not the intentional horrible acting that was the joke within the re-enactment part), the over-the-top cliché characters, the walk-into-the-wall "tension"; it was a toothgnasher man. The concept was solid, but the execution was...hospital food.

And for the record, I'm 99 percent sure I watched (heard/glanced up at) all of Murder House and Freak Show. I most definitely bailed on Coven and Hotel. It's my focus that's in question. I tried, but a book would just magically appear in my hand... :P

It's not my cup of tea, as should be quite obvious. There's worse on TV though, so it's not horrible (in comparison to most shows). I watched as much as I did because it's shared entertainment with my wife. And I'd rather take in a crappy poke at horror than interventions of pregnant teen housewives of Xanadu...! ha ha
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

And the bad news: Season 7 has a good chance to be the worse season yet, worse than season 5.
The creator said a month ago about season 7 that it will be presenting the political divide of 2016 elections... I can't even start numbering the things that could go wrong with that premise.
Why, why, why did it have to turn political?!
My DMGuild work!
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

alhoon wrote:And the bad news: Season 7 has a good chance to be the worse season yet, worse than season 5.
The creator said a month ago about season 7 that it will be presenting the political divide of 2016 elections... I can't even start numbering the things that could go wrong with that premise.
Why, why, why did it have to turn political?!
Rudimentary demographic skimming. Happens when the brass are more interested in ratings than substance. :roll:

IF it's not yuppy tongue-in-cheek jive... :roll:

Yeah, all around :roll: s for this show

haha

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

what..... how.... what? Horror? Politics? Huh?

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, it may not be too political. Perhaps the politics are in the background and we will just have characters on one side and other side squabbling about politics before the murders happen just as with season 6 divide of "Was X killed by Y or somebody else did it?" that the characters really fussed about.

Of course, this:
http://deadline.com/2017/05/american-ho ... 202085339/

is not that promising when you mix it with elections. Depicting one party's mascot as an evil monster is not exactly a neutral take.
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Alhoon, just started watching this season and i'm up to episode 6 going to probably watch a few more this weekend. I agree this is probably one of the best seasons. :)