Stranger Things (Netflix)

Books, movies, television and everything else
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Stranger Things (Netflix)

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Surprised not to see any buzz on this one here... It's a solid supernatural / horror story with some mine-able stuff for Ravenloft even though it's a more modern setting, plus includes a pretty positive depiction of D&D itself.

Picture X-Files meets Freaks & Geeks, with a bit of E.T. and/or D.A.R.Y.L.

I'm 2 episodes from the end still, so I can't speak to the ending yet, but so far, it's pretty good (if not quite living up to the AMAZING that several people who've recommended it to me have hyped it to be)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Stranger Things (Netflix)

Post by steveflam »

Favorite character : The Sheriff
Least Favorite : Wynona Ryder she was really annoying

Music was very reminiscent of the 80's

I won't watch the 2nd season.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Well, I finished it up, and overall enjoyed it. Let's call it 8/10.

I love the police chief too, but have to disagree on Winona Ryder's character. I thought she was perfectly written, and a great performance.

But my favorite is probably Mike, since I related to him most. The scenes with the 4 boys took me right back to my childhood, which I guess was the biggest strength of the show, the complete homage to the 80's. From the styling (clothes, hair, scenery, even minor stuff like posters, eyeglasses, and tupperware) to the music as you mentioned, even the look of the opening credits, and the pacing of the action. (I found myself thinking that if this were made today, Hopper would have been doing wire-fu to take out the bad guys, or Tarantino/John Woo-style bullet ballet. Instead he knocks them out with messy punches and takes pot shots with a revolver. Then I remembered, "holy cow, this WAS made today!")

But in the end, while I appreciate the acting and the direction and the attention to detail and all the times I went "Hey, I had that [game/couch/shirt]!" It never really grabbed me fully enough for me to call it a classic.

I'll probably watch the 2nd season if I can spare the time, but I won't be waiting for it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:...all the times I went "Hey, I had that [game/couch/shirt]!"
My wife was a little dismayed when I showed her that I did still have that Grenadier Miniatures Demogorgon. :roll:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Catman Jim wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:...all the times I went "Hey, I had that [game/couch/shirt]!"
My wife was a little dismayed when I showed her that I did still have that Grenadier Miniatures Demogorgon. :roll:
Clicking this topic was worth just for that comment.

On another note, i really liked the show. Will probably watch season 2 even if this takes place before I was born I found it great. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
GreenWood
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by GreenWood »

I loved both seasons! Hopper and Dustin are my two favorite characters, but the whole show is solid. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.
I, the Lord of the Midnight Green, now give rise to my final dream.