Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER EIGHT

Post by ewancummins »

THE DAY AFTER A NIGHT OF FIRE and ASH
BENN

The boarding house near Odall's eats, where Anabelle was killed. Torched by a firebomb of some sort.

The Lorelei--the façade scorched but nothing else destroyed. And no one badly hurt. And Benn's team found signs of a firebomb there, too, similar to what was used on the boarding house but perhaps smaller. No witnesses reported actually seeing the arsonists--but strangers coming and going at odd hours would hardly be unusual in a brothel and a bomb might be concealed.

Reports of the other fires come trickling in to Benn's house by runners sent from the gendarmes, one at a time until , by the time the weary investigator has finished his late breakfast, he has received word of no fewer than ten fires in the city:

The boarding house where Anabelle was murdered

The Lorelei

two private residences on Fifth Street
VIEW CONTENT:
which Benn recognizes as previous targets of the Fifth Street burglar
a tavern frequented by rat catchers

a gain silo on the riverfront--still smoldering...

the Cathedral of Ezra (minimal damage to an outbuilding)

the abandoned house in the River Quarter where Sara , Raen, and Kat fought monsters and goons (the report sounds as if this arson was in daylight hours--possibly, the report is describing Raen's magical attacks?)

a print shop belong to Benn's friend, Thom

and a home in the Gundarakite neighborhood

No fatalities, but several injuries. The reports don't indicate firebombs, or any specific origin for the several fires.
A note from Captain Thibault invites Benn and his party to confer about these blazes, if the party so wishes.

Another message arrives after Benn's meal. Without Hornsby, Benn is left to meet callers at his own door.

The boy who hands it over is not one of the kids who'd given messages from the gendarmes, this morning.

He doesn't hang about after depositing the message in Benn's hand, but skedaddles without even waiting for a tip.

Unfolding the paper, Benn sees words stamped in a variety of typefaces, jumbled together:
VIEW CONTENT:
The city will burn, the Falcon will rise over the ashes, and you cannot stop us-
The Loyal Sons of the Impaler

Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER EIGHT

Post by ewancummins »

MID-MORNING

RAEN, FLAMMARION'S SHOP

Raen drops in to see the alchemist.

He finds the old potion-mixer taking inventory in the front room of his shop, trailed by an apprentice boy with a hornbook and stylus.

Recognizing Raen, Flammarion sends his apprentice to mind the counter and steps over to greet the Darkonese wizard.
"You've come to buy supplies, reagents? Or you've brought me more samples?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara decides to go with Raen. After the last night's arson and the thugs attack she believes that none of them should wander in the city alone.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Flammarion's shop

Raen is still injured and his mood is not the best. Yet, he doesn't take the unpleasantness of his recent experiences to the alchemist.

"Good morning gentleman. I am not here to buy supplies at this time. I would require a different service, if possible. You may be aware that last night there were several attacks and arson attempts through the city. My friends and I, including this young lady here, Sarah, were close to one of these places.
The firebombs used were a mix of gunpowder and alchemist's fire that is a specialized mix few can replicate and the ingredients are not easy to find. So, I would like to know if you could perhaps tell me if there was any group that bought significant quantities of the reagents required to make this mixture. I have a sample of it with me if you would like to take a look. Perhaps your greater experience in the craft could direct us to either the persons behind this dastardly attack that endangered innocents and children or at least to which shop sells such ingredients.
Really, any kind of information to narrow down the search before the next wave of attacks would help."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Flammarion's shop

Raen is still injured and his mood is not the best. Yet, he doesn't take the unpleasantness of his recent experiences to the alchemist.

"Good morning gentleman. I am not here to buy supplies at this time. I would require a different service, if possible. You may be aware that last night there were several attacks and arson attempts through the city. My friends and I, including this young lady here, Sarah, were close to one of these places.
The firebombs used were a mix of gunpowder and alchemist's fire that is a specialized mix few can replicate and the ingredients are not easy to find. So, I would like to know if you could perhaps tell me if there was any group that bought significant quantities of the reagents required to make this mixture. I have a sample of it with me if you would like to take a look. Perhaps your greater experience in the craft could direct us to either the persons behind this dastardly attack that endangered innocents and children or at least to which shop sells such ingredients.
Really, any kind of information to narrow down the search before the next wave of attacks would help."

''Ahh-hh..."
Flammarion hesitates, looking toward the front door a moment.
''Well, I have recently sold some incendiary concoctions. Quite a large amount, in fact. Nothing illegal, mind you! The buyer assured me that the alchemist's fire was for a legitimate mercenary company. Yes, and he had documents signed off by a magistrate."
The old alchemist shrugs.
" Truth be told...I'd never before heard of the Loyal Sons nor had I seen that buyer. A Falkovnian, ragged and beggarly, but the man paid in electrum pyramid coins and antique silver. Funny thing about those coins--they are worth more than he seemed to know. Relics of the Old Builders, you see! A collector will pay well for them once magic affirms their authenticity. ''

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen is interested.
"I am not accusing anyone of anything. Do you think those rich-with-relic-coins Falkovnians may have visited your competitors? Can I see one of these electrum pieces and one of those silver pieces please? I will give you two gold pieces for both. It may help me locate those people.
In any case, I would seriously suggest you would move the flammable parts of your stock elsewhere and take a short vacation sir. The people we're dealing with seem to be bent on destruction and there's a large line of corpses trailing them."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Raen is interested.
"I am not accusing anyone of anything. Do you think those rich-with-relic-coins Falkovnians may have visited your competitors? Can I see one of these electrum pieces and one of those silver pieces please? I will give you two gold pieces for both. It may help me locate those people.
In any case, I would seriously suggest you would move the flammable parts of your stock elsewhere and take a short vacation sir. The people we're dealing with seem to be bent on destruction and there's a large line of corpses trailing them."

Flammarion breaks out in a sweat, though the front room isn't particularly warm.
''A large line of corpses? Ahh--hhh...well, yes. Yes, of course I'll trade you some of the stuff he paid me with, of course. And I'll think about that short vacation..."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

MEANWHILE, THOM THE PRINTER...

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

At Flammarion's alchemy shop:
"Is everything all right sir?"
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:At Flammarion's alchemy shop:
"Is everything all right sir?"

The alchemist wipes his brow.
"Ah, sure. I'm just feeling fatigued. Fumes, late hours...
And it's worrying, this talk of arson and killing. Evil times have fallen on the city."
Flammarion shrugs.
"Let me go fetch one those pyramids and a bit of silver."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen looks at his comrades as the alchemist turns his back and makes a head nod to Sara to keep an eye on the agitated man in case he makes a run for it.
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedicts jaw tightens, and he quickly places the letter on a table before donning a pair of gloves to prevent further despoiling the evidence.

He makes his way to a small private store of analytical tools at home, first examining it closely with his special magnifying glass for trace evidence and then dusting it for fingerprints.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN quickly discovers a smudged print, visible even before dusting, on the back of the letter.
He examine this more carefully...
It looks like the same shade of ink used in printing the message, is just as dry, and from the shape, position, and size was likely made by the right thumb of a man.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Katrin folows Raen and Sara to the alchemist, but stays towards the rear of the group, paying little attention to the conversation. She is looking for anyone... or anything... that might be following them, preparing to ambush them or otherwise taking advantage of their distraction...
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict carefully transfers the thumbpring to a piece of paper and tucks it away within his journal. It may be useful, or it may not. In any case, he looks in his records for a copy of Jonathon Matyr's fingerprints to compare it to, though he doubts they are the same.

Once that is done, he will inquire with a gendarmes as to the location of Captain Thibault, so as to confer with him more closely.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."