BEYOND POVERO: CRABCLAW Prelude

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: BEYOND POVERO: CRABCLAW Prelude

Post by ewancummins »

ALFONSE, THOM, and FILD, dealing with the UNWYNE ship-building firm

Alfonse goes over the list, adds his own ideas based on his engineering experience and Thom's advice about costs and money, and works out a deal with Lord Unwyne's factor.

He visits some smaller dealers and acquires other items as cheaply as possible.

Late that afternoon, adding it all up, he estimates modest savings and a boost of a couple of days in repair time.

Upon returning to the Fortune's Fool, Alfonse tells Skipper Torbert the news and displays a letter from the Unwynes.

The skipper is so pleased that he immediately rewards Alfonse with a purse containing local currency, rebates on the party's fares (it works out to five deniers a head).
Not only that, but he covers the cost of Alfonse buying all of Oona's shellfish and crabs.

The ship's master recommends a boarding house.
''Widow Irren's is the most reputable at a reasonable cost. You could stay someplace fancier, but that might feed into rumors about your treasure hoard. Wherever you stay, I would advise taking precautions against robbers. Good luck!''

Inquires by Fild about gnome-sized armor give him the name Yelijd and directions to a certain house in the western slums...

---------------------------

Meanwhile, Gertie meets with the mysterious Mummers...

---------------------------------
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Western Slums
Fild, armed and armored looks around the slums taking in the sights and the smells of the place to compare with the bigwig areas. He doesn't immediately go for the gnome armorers he takes a look. After a while, he starts to ask around for Yelijd.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse shakes the Captain's hand. "Glad to be of service." He gestures to the cart of shellfish. "Dinner for the crew is on me, tonight. Er, well, on you, I suppose. But you get the idea."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ABOARD THE
FORTUNE's FOOL

Adam wrote:Alfonse shakes the Captain's hand. "Glad to be of service." He gestures to the cart of shellfish. "Dinner for the crew is on me, tonight. Er, well, on you, I suppose. But you get the idea."
Torbert shakes Alfonse's hand.

"Good luck in the city. And let me know after you've found lodgings, so when the ship's repaired and we are ready to leave, I can send a man for your party. And if you decide to stay on here, let me know so I can book other passengers. Again, thanks."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IN SEARCH OF GNOMISH ARMOR

alhoon wrote:Western Slums
Fild, armed and armored looks around the slums taking in the sights and the smells of the place to compare with the bigwig areas. He doesn't immediately go for the gnome armorers he takes a look. After a while, he starts to ask around for Yelijd.
The poor folk of the slums give the armed gnome his space, and no one speaks to him until he speaks first.

Tramping the muddy streets, he spots several sunken and tilted buildings. The low, sandy earth under a fair part of the western city must be subject to occasional floods and mudslides, when heavy rains fall and the river rises.

The house of YELIJD, a stranger tells him, is one such subsided dwelling, It's supposed to have bricked up windows and a door paneled with green bronze.
Field has some trouble following the directions he was given, but after a circling hike, he steps up before a house matching the description.
Bricked windows a strong portal of verdigrised bronze and dark stained, worn hardwood.
Closed--but Fild sees a clapper on the dooor, shaped like a bluebottle fly, only far larger.

No sign hung out.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Certainly, we shall," Alfonse says. "By chance, any suggestions of sites to see in this town?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"Certainly, we shall," Alfonse says. "By chance, any suggestions of sites to see in this town?"

''The arena is worth a visit if you'd like to see a prize match between swordsmen or a bullfight. And the civic temple has a gallery of painted statues of the Nine and many small gods; it's good luck to go there and dust the idols' feet with a quail feather. Hmmm...and House Burgoddin maintains a sort of big display cabinet full of strange things they took from the southern jungles, at the house business office in the city. I saw it once, but I didn't have time to really look."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"House Burgoddin you say?" Alfonse says, his attention having drifted a bit at the talk of fighting but snapping back for the museum. "Which way is that?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE FORTUNE'S FOOL

Adam wrote:"House Burgoddin you say?" Alfonse says, his attention having drifted a bit at the talk of fighting but snapping back for the museum. "Which way is that?"
''Well, let me think...You'll want to enter the Eastern city past the Floodgate Wall and look on the left side, I think, of Captain's Row. The Burgoddin's office is one of those two-story houses, but it's got some teak and some other exotic sort of wood built into it. And the family's bear sign is set over the door. At least, that's how it all was six years ago. I don't know about now. They might have moved."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Western Slums
Fild rubbed his nose as he enters the place. "The shine and polish of the rich folk doesn't reach down here apparently." It seemed to him that many of the buildings were ready-to-fall huts. He just hoped those people had underground dwellings although the chance they would be living as gnomes was low.

Spotting the bricked up strange house, he approaches and knocks loudly on the door using the handle. He speaks in gnomish. "Is anyone there? I'm a customer you wouldn't want to lose!"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Western Slums
Fild rubbed his nose as he enters the place. "The shine and polish of the rich folk doesn't reach down here apparently." It seemed to him that many of the buildings were ready-to-fall huts. He just hoped those people had underground dwellings although the chance they would be living as gnomes was low.

Spotting the bricked up strange house, he approaches and knocks loudly on the door using the handle. He speaks in gnomish. "Is anyone there? I'm a customer you wouldn't want to lose!"

IN SEARCH OF GNOMISH ARMOR
continued

In GNOMISH, the reply comes from up high,

"Did you bring the ducks? We need MORE DUCKS!"

Looking up, Fild sees a distinctly gnomish nose sticking over the lip of the roof. The bulbous snout wiggles and scoots farther out and a whole face appears.
The gnome on the roof blinks, squinting in the daylight.A smile spreads on his nutbrown, wizened face.
"Oh! ahhahhaa! You're a customer, right. You said that. I heard our language and thought you'd come with--- No matter. Climb on up."

A rope drops down, dangling over the roof edge.

"You didn't happen to see any loose ducks wandering about, did you?"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

GERTIE AT THE MUMMERS

"I am Gertie, Gertie Larue. I am looking to buy certain items that someone of my profession would normally use," she speaks in the Thiefs Cant. "I am a cat burglar."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:GERTIE AT THE MUMMERS

"I am Gertie, Gertie Larue. I am looking to buy certain items that someone of my profession would normally use," she speaks in the Thiefs Cant. "I am a cat burglar."
One of the Mummers reaches into his (hers? Its?) robes and produces a small, softly glowing orb.
The Mummer extends the ball towards Gertie.
The greenish light washes out the yellow of GERTIE's candle. Her exposed skin itches.

"Take the Orb and swear a thief's oath that you do not serve any of the lordly houses of this land, and we can do business. If you do serve any of the nobles, you had better let us know now. We will still sell to you, perhaps, but the price will be higher."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:
steveflam wrote:GERTIE AT THE MUMMERS

One of the Mummers reaches into his (hers? Its?) robes and produces a small, softly glowing orb.
The Mummer extends the ball towards Gertie.
The greenish light washes out the yellow of GERTIE's candle. Her exposed skin itches.

"Take the Orb and swear a thief's oath that you do not serve any of the lordly houses of this land, and we can do business. If you do serve any of the nobles, you had better let us know now. We will still sell to you, perhaps, but the price will be higher."

"I serve no house," she replies as she takes the orb in her hand.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

A THIEF'S OATH

The Orb glow shifts from green to blue, and then dims to a faint coppery color.

The Mummers nod, murmuring among themselves for a short time.

Then the one who had handed Gertie the Orb reaches out to take it back.

"We can indeed do business, Burglar Gertie. Provide us with a description of the items you need and we will name our price."