ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Ten

Post by ewancummins »

earlier...

THE LORELEI

SOPHIE'S OFFICE

The dark-haired beauty refills the two goblets and then replaces the bottle in her desk.
She says,
''So that's about this size of it. I just need someone intelligent and trustworthy to look out for my interests in this business. That, and of course I want the killings stopped.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Ten

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

The Nova Vaasan man replies, "Of course. I am glad to assist." He takes a long sip from his glass, sets it upon the table, then strokes his mustache pensively for a few moments.

"I should like to get as much first-hand information as possible. Who has been investigating thus far, and where might I find them?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:The Nova Vaasan man replies, "Of course. I am glad to assist." He takes a long sip from his glass, sets it upon the table, then strokes his mustache pensively for a few moments.

"I should like to get as much first-hand information as possible. Who has been investigating thus far, and where might I find them?"

Sophie says,

''Besides the gendarmerie, there's a Lamordian sleuth-for-hire, Benedict Gehrmann. He's my main concern. I know him--slightly--from my riverboat trip up here, about eight years back. He and his companions were coming back from some kind of expedition beyond the Border Mists. I don't know all the details. After the Lamordian's party returned to the city, a young lady was murdered and the blame fixed on one of the Lamordian's former companions, a red-haired boy. Jack? No, Jonathon. There's a pamphlet floating about, with lurid details. Other murders, too, were laid at the foreigner's feet, including a girl killed here at the Lorelei before I arrived in Richemulot, back when Gaston Van Diecks ran this place for Clement Malreux. Van Diecks is dead, by the way--or missing , anyway, for about eight years. And Malreux was murdered on his boat sometime before Van Diecks disappeared. The Lamordian's connected to all that, somehow, I suspect. He was feuding with Malreux, I've heard. Too many connections... Or maybe...''

She sighs, rubbing her temples.
''Maybe I'm being too edgy. But if I have such suspicions, then I can only guess what the gendarmes are thinking about me, since the Lorelei seems related to the murders, old and new. And you know...I acquired the place from Malreux's widow. It might look dodgy to the coppers...''

Sophie shakes her head.
''Anyway, I'll write down Gehrmann's office address for you. If he's not in, maybe you can find him by asking around town.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

He nods, "Perhaps this Gehrmann is simply an unfortunate man who too frequently becomes embroiled in terrible events. However, I will exercise caution, in case his involvements turn out to be sinister in nature."

The man takes another sip from his goblet, then leans back in his chair, his dark green eyes looking off in the room, unfocused. "I have known many who have had the misfortune of being unpleasantly surprised by the true nature of their companions. I would like to think that I could tell false hatred toward a scapegoat from loathing directed at a betrayer."

His gaze refocuses on Sophie. "What of this inescapable ash choking the city? You mentioned it in passing, but it seems almost unbelievable that its appearance simply happened to coincide with the mounting crimes."
Last edited by Wolfglide of the Fraternity on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:He nods, "Perhaps this Gehrmann is simply an unfortunate man who too frequently becomes embroiled in terrible events. However, I will exercise caution, in case his involvements turn out to be sinister in nature."

The man takes another sip from his goblet, then leans back in his chair, his gray eyes looking off in the room, unfocused. "I have known many who have had the misfortune of being unpleasantly surprised by the true nature of their companions. I would like to think that I could tell false hatred toward a scapegoat from loathing directed at a betrayer."

His gaze refocuses on Sophie. "What of this inescapable ash choking the city? You mentioned it in passing, but it seems almost unbelievable that its appearance simply happened to coincide with the mounting crimes."
Sophie finishes her wine before replying.

''Yes, the ash...I don't know what's causing it or if it's connected to some evil deeds. I mean, I can see the same as anyone where it comes from--that Black Cloud in the west. But what is it? I don't know. I do know it's scared off a lot of customers, and some of my girls have gotten to be so jittery they can't work in rooms with west-facing windows. Janelle's caught religion--the wrong sort, Church of Ezra, and says the ash and cloud are signs of divine wrath. She hasn't quit yet, but she's been preaching at the other girls, and even some clients. But I'm rambling. The ash. I use a veil when I go out, so I don't inhale any of the stuff
. I can lend you the spare, if you like. ''

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"That would probably be best. Thank you."

He too finishes his wine, then says, "Perhaps I had better begin my search for the investigator, so as to deal with the matter quickly."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE MAN FROM NOVA VAASA

Bennedict Gerhman wasn't at his office. Nobody was--or if someone was in, no one was answering the door.

Finding that man's private residence took a bit longer, but the Vaasan has much experience in asking questions of strangers. His profession as taught him both subtle and overt approaches. A local merchant parts with the information for the price of a drink.

The house isn't too far from the office--he can walk, assessing the neighborhood and cataloging details.
Quiet.
He counts three ruined, possibly deserted homes on the block whether the Lamordian dwells. One shows signs of long neglect, a caved-in roof and only splinters of glass in the yawning windows, and at the front entrance a set of rusted hinges without a door.
But the other two, on either side of Bennedict Gerhman's brownstone, look to b e in good repair, at least to a casual, outward inspection. Someone has nailed up the windows and doors in the front of those.
Gerhman's home, the brownstone in the middle of the lane, looks better-kept up than the others, except a broken front window.
Bits of glass glitter on the narrow pavement between the house and street.

He knocks, but no on answers the door at the two-story brownstone.

Just then the Vaasan spots a red-haired woman with a sword at her hip, rounding the street corner to his left and heading his way. He's not sure if she's seen him yet.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KAT

Hastening along to gather the party, Kat drops by Benn's house...

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Outside Benn's house
With few other places to look for, Raen arrived at Benn's house with a new of those strange signs. With a frown, he knocks at the door.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gazing at the shattered window, the Vaasan considers clambering through to get a better idea about who exactly Gehrmann is. He steps toward it, then his eye is caught by the approaching woman. Even if she doesn't see him now, he doesn't have faith in his ability to go unnoticed while executing such an obviously suspicious action.

He turns his sight toward the sky. Though he cannot completely make out the position of the sun through the falling ash, he feels that it must be nearing time for prayers. He begins walking dutifully toward the nearest alley, hoping that no one will disturb his peace.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:Gazing at the shattered window, the Vaasan considers clambering through to get a better idea about who exactly Gehrmann is. He steps toward it, then his eye is caught by the approaching woman. Even if she doesn't see him now, he doesn't have faith in his ability to go unnoticed while executing such an obviously suspicious action.

He turns his sight toward the sky. Though he cannot completely make out the position of the sun through the falling ash, he feels that it must be nearing time for prayers. He begins walking dutifully toward the nearest alley, hoping that no one will disturb his peace.

An alley runs to the left of the house. Stepping into the gloom there, the Vaasan finds a modicum of privacy for his devotions.

He hears footsteps in the street he'd just vacated. A second pedestrian? Maybe. Seems to be coming from the opposite direction that redhead was coming from. Close.
Knocks, now, as of rapping at a door or window sill.

But it is time to pray...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RAEN AND KAT

KAT arrives to find Raen knocking at Benn's front door.

The wizard looks pale and sweaty under the light streaks of ash on his face.
He's breathing hard, as if he'd sprinted to the door.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict throws open the front door, grabbing Raen by the sleeve and pulling the wizard inside. "Quickly!" he shouts, "There's some intruder about!"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen looks alarmed. "Wererats? They've been in your office! Do you have any silver?" Then, the wizard falls into spellcasting to protect himself. A soft glow radiated from his arms, covered him and settled in, as good protection as a suit of armor.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict's face flushes temporarily, but he recovers. "This was a Vassan man. I didn't see where he went. And there have been break-ins here as well." He gestures with his crossbow. "I thought it wise to start taking precautions."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."