Birthright Campaign Notes, Images, etc.

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Birthright Campaign Notes, Images, etc.

Post by ewancummins »

I'm going to start with some non-BR art that nonetheless looks or 'feels' like my version of the setting.
If you imagine things differently, that is cool.
Feel free to use your own selections, as some of you have with PC portraits.

A lady of Haes-

Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright Campaign Notes, Images, etc.

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Since I haven't posted a picture of Roald, here's essentially what he looks like.

Edit: Only, you know, a lot more like Devlin's dad for some reason.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Oh I should have posted my picture here...

Safana!

Safana2.png
Safana2.png (194.14 KiB) Viewed 7071 times
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Since I haven't posted a picture of Roald, here's essentially what he looks like.

Edit: Only, you know, a lot more like Devlin's dad for some reason.

That pic works well, I think.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Mine did work well until she died her hair black LOL!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ewancummins wrote:That pic works well, I think.
Thanks, it does captures the "middle-aged sellsword" look I wanted quite nicely.

tarlyn wrote:Mine did work well until she died her hair black LOL!
Ah, so she's dead then. :evil:
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Mine did work well until she died her hair black LOL!
Ah, so she's dead then. :evil:

Not even close, just a few days ahead of you guys is all I am permitted to say.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Anuirean religion notes
based on canon sources with multiple additions and expansions of my own

Time out of mind, the Anuireans have made offerings to the tutelary spirits or ‘small gods’ of field, forest and hearth. Unlike the pantheon of young gods whose collective apotheosis took place at Deismaar(or the later divine offspring of those gods), these minor spirits have no temples, no clergy, no doctrine, and no political power. They don’t need such things. They remain invisible most of the time, and act only in subtle ways. Traditional practices include little rituals like a copper coin tossed in a certain lucky well, a pail of milk left out for a spirit that watches over cows, a heel of bread tossed into the hearth fire. Most country people wouldn’t even call these things ‘religion.’ It’s just the way things have always been.

The heads of households are expected to perform certain rites in honor of ancestors at given times of year or special occasions.

Haelyn’s worshippers often pay honors to holy men of past times, and to certain heroic figures like Roele. Pilgrims visit the tombs of these holy men and heroes, hoping for blessings and favor.

Most Anuireans adopt one of the young gods as a principal patron, and profess to follow the precepts of one of the various churches of temples that exist within the old empire’s borders. But many people fail to live up to the more stringent demands of piety, and only a relatively small number of men and women are blessed with priestly magic as a reward for faith and wisdom. Others are only nominally religious, paying lip-service to the gods in order to avoid trouble. None of the churches in Anuire denies the existence of any of the gods of the pantheon; of course the worship of outright enemy gods is discouraged or prohibited.
Worship of the two main Vos gods was proscribed under the Roele emperors; a perfunctory measure expressing enmities left over from the War of Shadow more than any practical need to suppress cults. Kriesha and Belinik seem not only evil but barbarous and unworthy of worship in the eyes of most Anuireans. Recent growth of imported evil cults in Mieres and Osoerde would not have been tolerated in imperial times.

Every once in a long while, a cult of Azrai crops up, led by mad priests who prophesy the resurrection of the ancient god of evil and secrets. Oddly enough, sometimes the leaders display real priestly magic. Maybe the greater abominations or the demon princes are behind this, or maybe not…

Five or six centuries ago, the so-called Skeptic school enjoyed a brief heyday in the Imperial City, though never with official sanction or patronage. The Skeptics openly questioned whether the young gods had really risen from the destruction of Deismaar. They suggested that the clergy of the various gods were deluded, or charlatans using magic and mummery to fool the people. Most people paid little heed to such foolish talk; the evidence and tradition of the gods was too strong to be questioned away by wine shop philosophers and avant-garde sages.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

A noble warrior of the Khinasi lands, in full armor on an armored horse-

http://www.lrgaf.org/guide/Ottoman%20ar ... Knight.JPG

Only a few Khinasi warriors can afford such armor, and many actually prefer lighter gear. Khinasi warfare emphasizes maneuver over shock, and speed over armor. But some realms do field small companies of armored cavalry equivalent to knights or men-at-arms of Anuire. Indeed, the kit and training of these elite soldiers reflect Anuirean influences from the centuries of occupation.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

((Thanks Varus!))

RENNAULT GHONALLISON

Captain of the Haes City Watch

Appearance

Rennault is a man of about 28 years and middling height. Frequently his eyes are rimmed with dark circles from long nights at work or on the trail. On his badge, he wears the blue and white standard of his house. He often dresses in hunting leathers, and when he expects trouble he wears a suit of silenced elven maille.

Background (Common Knowledge)

Rennault is one of Count Robin's younger sons, and not the Count's designated heir. By the time he was 14, he was taking part in raiding the goblins who infested Five Peaks. At 18, he became one of the Count's reeves, patrolling Ghonallison for brigands and cattle-thieves.

appointed to command the Haes Watch a few months before Duke Gilgead's murder.

Quirks/Traits

-Expert bowman

-For a nobleman (even a backwoods one), Renn seems to pay special attention to the commoners under his command.

-Fidgets with an old bronze arrowhead when thinking or troubled.

-Known for fighting dirty.

-Rumored to have collected goblin scalps when he was younger.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Hey ewan, can you post a pic of Torthur here? You showed me a nice one... Was it from the Hobbit?
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

I picture Beatrix Ghonallison looking something like Livia from HBO's Rome.

"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights