Changelings part III: Return to Paridon

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Changelings part III: Return to Paridon

Post by kintire »

Sir Varthek gives a sober nod. "Those deaths were tragic, certainly, especially the scholars. Fine minds. But they would have gone anyway, you know. And as for the items, I think evil is a little strong. Tyrfing is cursed, certainly, and will kill its wielder, but frankly that curse was laid with some pretty solid justification in my opinion. As for the Girdle of Nitocris, well she met an unfortunate fate but largely through her own actions. You can't blame a magic item for that. It isn't sapient, and it doesn't tempt people. She made her own choices."

He looks thoughtful for a moment, then shakes his head as if emerging from a reverie.

"In any case there is no intention to use them, or at least not for their intended purpose. They are merely components. And we need just one more. One more, and it is all over, and you can go wherever you choose, wealthy men and women and with a few nice items as well. Items with a slightly less... perilous history."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Evil has a way to leave a taint sir Varthek. The cursed sword leads to death. The Queen died of her own actions but those very actions would have certainly left a taint in the land we fought in and very possibly in the belt itself. When I used a certain spell sir Varthek, the taint of evil, whether that was the Queen's crimes or others, turned the spell against us. An army of undead ripped appart the living. Bandits working for doppelgangers, sure, but still living.
And that was not my intention, it was the land and the crimes commited there.

Since the belt was used for such a grand treachery, it was an instrument of great evil whether it is sentient or not. Such objects have a tendecy to be used for evil again.
But I digress; you are certainly aware that evil leaves a taint in anything it touches as is our patron.

I wonder what kind of ritual requires a cursed sword and a heavily enchanted belt. And it is not academic curiosity sir Varthek. I will forfeit my reward this time; instead I want a meeting with our patron. I believe we have earned that much."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine that was silent till now quirks an eyebrow as Sir Varthek mentioned a last job and then a good reward, items and freedom! But can they really be free after this? Will it be ever over? It might be a trick to get one more item and then another one and that way they will be bounded for life. Alas Catherine knows that her chance to get back to Richmulot depends on that mysterious patron and if he thinks they are still useful. He glances the other man that entered with Sir Varthek and decides that is better ask directly than playing mind games.

"Sir Varthek, I know that we did a fine job so far and you said that you want us to do a last one, but if I may ask is there any guarantee? Not that I don't trust you, just I'm afraid we might be still useful in the future and the patron decides that we have more things to do...Or we don't really have a choice here?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

For just an instant, Varthek's smile turns genuinely amused, but with a sardonic twist that makes the humour seem cold, but he instantly smooths it away.

"Meet your patron? Well I suppose that can be arranged. Whether you will still think it a good idea when it is I'm not sure. A considerable journey is involved."

He glances at Catherine

"There is always a choice, madam. Not always a palatable choice..." His face twists with what might be pain before the bland smile returns "but always a choice. As for trust... I have no reason to lie to you. One more item... and it will all be over. You can go where you please."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon turns to Helfried and Catherine. "What do you think? I fully believe a journey to meet our patron and inquire about his or her intentions with the magic items we procured is the least we could do to put our minds at ease. "
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"Agreed." Replies Helfried. "For what has been asked of us do far; a face to face meeting is long overdue."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Well if we do have a choice I would prefer get the item and put an end at all this. I'm not really keen on meet the patron just to move on. But if you two prefer meeting him first so be it. I just want my life back and be able to decide my own future."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Sir Vathek frowns very slightly.

"I fear a face to face meeting before the operation is not going to be possible. You understand, your patron is not resident in this city. That is why I am acting as agent. To arrange a meeting would involve a long journey on my part to make the arrangements, then back here to inform you, then back again together... no. We must resolve the recovery issue first. Meetings after that."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon frowns. He looks towards Helfried. "I am still having a hard time with this. What do you think?"
My DMGuild work!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Helfried returns Saradon's frown with a sour look of his own. "As much as I dont like this situation, our friends here, " gesturing politely towards Sir Vathek and his valet. "...quite clearly are in the employ of someone of great power. This same mysterious patron was able to move us as mysteriously as the mists themselves, taking each of us from our homelands." He pauses for a moment, continuing in more measured tones.
"Pardon my boldness, I do not intend to be rude; we may be past that point of being able to walk away from thi. task."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

After a few moments, Seradon nods his head. "Tell us more about this task sir Varthek"
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Sir Vathek smiles again, his eyes going a little distant.

"Ahhh yes the task. Well, it is very simple in essence. I need you to borrow a book from a library. Simple really! Except the library only lends books to members, which you are not, and we are not proposing to return the book."

He gives a slightly whimsical smile.

"It is in the university library in fact, or one of them. Should be fairly simple, but it is slightly illegal so if anything does go wrong you may need to leave town. I thought it best to do this one last."
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Helfried sours in response to Vathek's proposition. "Your employer wishes us to steal." He says as a statement rather than a question. "From a private library no less." He crosses his arms as he casts scrutiny across the room towards their employer's representative.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Is it a coincidence that we are asked to steal from the a university library, after said university hired us?"
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine quirks an eyebrow, breaking in it's actually something she has done before but was never really proud of it...And was also the authority issue, she doesn't want to get caught in a foreign land where neither her parents acquintances can get her out. The problem is that they don't seem to have a choice. Sighing she says:

"Do you know if there is any security at the section in which will be the book and how can we leave town really fast if as you said things get wrong..."

Thinking for a moment she adds:

"And how many days do we have to get it?"
- W H A T ! ? !