Changelings part III: Return to Paridon

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Changelings part III: Return to Paridon

Post by kintire »

Standing outside in the street, waiting patiently, is a tall man, well but not massively built. He has the look of a man who has seen battle, carrying a couple of light scars on his face. He wears a sword, but it is a fine dress piece rather than a purely practical weapon, and peace bonded. In any case he is distinctly past his fighting days with grey hair and a slight stoop. He is dressed in smart civilian clothes, and has what looks like a valet with him, a soberly dressed man with a muscular build, but also no longer young
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon opens the door and welcomes the men
"Good day to you sir, and to your companion. I'm Seradon and I reside here. How may we help you? If you have business to discuss we have sage tea ready in the kitchen if you would like to join us"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine studies the 2 men for few seconds as Seradon opens the door and waits them to enter. Their age, clothing and weapon indicate that they aren't common adventurers, especially the tall one seems to have had some encounters in the past and have some money as well. Catherine believes that the tall man have heard about them and wants to hire them, maybe to retrieve something for him. Catherine frowns at that thought; they have merely survived from the adventure in the desert and she would prefer to rest for some time before rush in the next one. But of course this is just a supposition.

She smiles at the two men and says:

"Welcome to our house gentlemen, I'm Catherine."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

The older man smiles warmly at them, although his companion remains impassive.

"Well, that is a very civil invitation and I would be most churlish to refuse. Sage tea you say? Most welcome on this drizzly day. I am much obliged."

He steps into the doorway, and bows slightly to Catherine, his smile twisting a little as if he is briefly suppressing laughter before returning to normal.

"Yes, yes, so you are. Your reputation precedes you, you know. Quite the talk of the town. I am Vathek. Sir Vathek, technically. I am a great admirer of your work. And also the overseer of your trust fund. And this is Karl, my right hand man."

The valet gives a cool, mechanical nod

"Not a talkative fellow, I am afraid. Not very confident in the local language. But a stalwart fellow, simply stalwart!"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Welcome to our home Sir Varthek..." Seradon says. "Warm up a bit, hung up your coats, and I'll go make the tea".
With a nod to them all, he moves to the kitchen, puts the kettle on the fire again and rummages around for cups. While he does so, Seradon closes the door. Over the hissing sound of the kettle, Seradon begins chantly slowly. As he brings his hands together, a soft blue light spreads over them. Touching his temple, the halo surrounds his temple and dissipates.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

After bidding the caretaker good day, Helfried makes his way back into the house. Hearing the sounds of conversation coming from below, he then makes his way down stairs to glean a better idea of who may be visiting.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Following Seradon's lead Catherine take their coats and leads them in the living room.

"Please take a seat, your tea will be here soon."

When both men have taken their seats she asks:

"So you are familiar with our work, hope we have done a good job so far. If I may ask are you the one that got us here apart of being responsibe of the trust fund?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Sir Vathek give a slight smile, seating himself, then rising for a moment to give Helfierd a polite bow as he enters before sitting again. The Valet sits behind his master and does not rise, though he gives a deep nod to Helfierd as he enters.

"Just so, Miss Catherine, just so. I have made all the arrangements for your stay here, and I must say you have performed splendidly. I will be candid: well above my expectations. I had my doubts about this venture, I will admit it, I had my doubts. But here you are, the second target back and ready for delivery, and still three weeks to go before the desirable target date for the first! Exemplary, simply exemplary. I hope my lawyers here have been helpful?"

As he talks, Seradon concentrates. To his slight frustration, Sir Vathek appears to be thinking very hard about what he is saying, and entertaining no other thoughts. He has a very disciplined mind, but there is more to it than that. He is deliberately taking countermeasures. For a moment Seradon thinks he is aware of the scan but no, he can pick up that much. Vathek is not aware of it, but he is expecting it. Seradon becomes suddenly convinced that Vathek knows him, and knows him well, well enough to suspect that he would try this.

He can also pick up one other thing that can't be hidden, as the whole cast of the mind betrays it. Vathek is unquestionably a wizard, and Seradon is pretty sure that they share a speciality.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"So it is..." Seradon whispers to himself and brings out 4 cups. Masking his questions, he gets out of the room and offers the two men a cup, to Catherine a cup and takes a cup for himself, making sure to fill all the teacups in front of the people from the same tea cup. He doesn't avoid, not seeks eye contact with Varthek. He also doesn't betray that he knows what they've been talking about. Perhaps Varthek can see through the rouse. Perhaps not. No reason to give him confirmation of his suspicions.
"Forgive me if it was mentioned while I was inside" Seradon said. "What do we owe the pleasure of your visit?" As Helfried arrives, Seradon makes the introductions.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine gets the same feeling she has had before that they are like pawns that should try to please their master in order to avoid punishment or to finally get back to their lands.

"Well thank you, we did our best indeed. But you know even if these two missions were successful as you said, this house is beatiful and the trust fund really generous, I was wondering for how long we will still be here. Can't we work for you from our homelands?"
- W H A T ! ? !
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Helfried casts an inquisitive glance, betraying his puzzlement at the valet's courteousness. he stays in the entryway, sharing pleasantries, before casually taking post behind his companions.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Sir Vathek's smile spreads ever so slightly and seems genuine... although not entirely reassuring.

"Well, I am here to collect the girdle you have recovered, and to discuss the next little request. For reasons of discretion you have been allowed to fall into the previous two jobs but this one is a little more specific. And in any case, you have proven yourselves, and caution can be relaxed somewhat. As to operating from your homelands... alas, madam, one must go where the work is. The requirements for these items are quite... specific, and they are located in this city, or are most conveniently accessible from here. Fear not: one more only remains and all will be finished. No travelling required."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"I am not sure I like where this is heading sir Varthek" Seradon said cautiously. "The items we've recovered are tainted with evil. So far, we can only hope that our patron has taken steps to destroy them instead of use them to spread more misery. If you don't mind, my conciense would fare better if we received some re-assurance that our work, and risks, would leave the world a better place.
Innocent people, good, honest people, died in the last mission sir Varthek at the hands of evil creatures that followed us in the expedition. We made sure those creatures won't harm anyone else but that won't bring back the friends we lost."
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine has never missed her homeland as much as know he knows that she might not getting back...She feels like a prisoner in a golden cage. Sir Varthek and those he works for got them this fancy house and gave them a lot of money but in what cost...Her freedom to decide what to do, when and when to stop. She let Seradon do the talking and with the excuse to put some more dry wood in the fireplace she goes and stands closer to Vathek making an eye contact with Heinrich to be ready if anything happens.
- W H A T ! ? !
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Helfried straightens up a bit, intrigued at how this dialogue will play out. He watches Sir Varthek and his man for reactions.