Changelings part III: Return to Paridon

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Changelings part III: Return to Paridon

Post by kintire »

Sir Vathek's lips quirk a little, and he glances at Helfierd.

"Steal? Merely claiming a reward for services rendered! There is a slight complication, you see. The book in question in not actually in the library itself, its in a storehouse they maintain to keep less used books. But I gather they are having some problems with it. Hauntings, or something. I am sure they will be delighted if three such noted adventurers, known to them, were to volunteer to investigate. Then just collect the book. If your conscience is tender, perhaps you could solve the haunting as well, if that is what it is."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon looks at the others "That's much better in my opinion"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"Marginally." The Falkovnian replies gruffly.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine nods.

"Yes way better indeed. Is there anything you can tell us about ths library? And still a way to get out of here if something goes wrong? Because they might mind if we take the book even as payment."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"I will provide you with a map of the repository." As he speaks, his silent valet hands a rolled parchment to Seradon. "I do not anticipate much trouble. The place is a storage place for books not often used. there will be no one there unless someone has ordered a book that is stored there, and I am sure you can avoid such issues. I don't believe the book you are after has ever been ordered, so it may be quite some time before its absence is noticed: if it ever is!"

He places his hands on the table as if about to rise.

"Your hospitality has been delightful, but I would not wish to intrude. in any case, its getting on and I do not care to wander these streets to late in the day. If there are no further questions, i will take my leave!"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon isn't hiding that he doesn't expect the task to be simple. "If it was as simple as walking in and out, I doubt our benefactor would have us do it; anyone, including your valet could do it as well. I also doubt that a book as plain to be sitting there to be picked in such a "simple" task would be worth his trouble.
You already mentioned a haunting sir Varthek. I understand you may not be aware of any other complications beside a ghost but that doesn't mean there won't be any. Our patron wants that book bad enough, so it's valuable to at least some people. So we can't be sure that there are not other forces keeping an eye on that book that would miss it. Or even that the haunting itself is not tied to that book. And I believe you realize all those possible complications or others that may come up.

All in all sir Varthek, thank you for your time and the information you provided but please, don't underestimate our intelligence by telling us all will be fine while we try to juggle a haunting and trying to take an under-appreciated book that our patron desperatedly wants.

Have a good night"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine just nods, Seradon has expressioned her fears and concerns even better than she would have.

"Thank you for the map Sir Varthek, I hope we manage to do this final task for our benefactor and finally return back. Good night."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Helfried merely steps out of the way to allow the two men to pass, casting a subtle look of approval in Saradon's direction.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

After sir Varthek leaves, Seradon turns gloomly to the others "So, should we head to the library now? The sooner the better in my opinion. Let's pretend as instructed to be interested in the haunting to get access to the place."
My DMGuild work!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

With a sigh of resignation, Helfried replies. "If anything, we can gain a better layout."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"We can go now yes, but still I doubt it will be that easy as Sir Varthek said otherwise they would have gotten it by themselves, whoever they are...Anyway lets go."
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

As the group climbs through the streets of Paridon, the weather is fairly clement: it is only raining somewhat. As they pass through the streets of the bowels the houses seem to loom over them menacingly, windows glittering like baleful eyes as the outhrust upper floors block out the light.

As they ascend towards the more gentrified districts the looming houses draw back and the streets become wider and less oppressive. The people, however, seem ever more hunched and concealed in their swathings of coats. Of course, that might just be because the wider streets offer less shelter from the steady drizzle.

The group calls at the library and are quickly ushered inside and taken away from the actual book filled chambers into a web of corridors giving access to a sucession of offices and common rooms. Their guide knocks at a wood and smoked glass door marked "Administrator: Archives" the door is not quite too and swings back at the knock, revealing an elderly man in clothes that would be smart if they were a little less rumpled engaged in an apprently adversarial dispute with a young woman as they enter he is delivering what seems to be a withering retort of the tight lipped sarcasm persuasion.

"..ublic has a right to mind its own damn business, and life would be much simpler if it exercised it!" he glances at the door "Oh for the mist's sake what now?"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon gives a nod to the administrator. "Good evening administrator. I am Seradon. Those are Catelyn and Filbert. We are here because we were informed that you had some... problems with the library that required a different approach." he says, not wanting to talk about ghosts and hauntings to people that may not be informed about them.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine tries to remember the corridors they pass and more important where is the exit. At the administrator's office she lets Seradon do the talking and just nods to salute the man and the woman hoping to appear more professional that way.
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

The young woman whips around and almost dances across the floor towards him, pen and parchment in hand.

"Melissa Enders, Lower Paridon Gazette! What is happening at the Eagle Street Repository, and why is the Museum hiding it from the public?"

Before he can answer she stops dead in her tracks and her eyes flick between the three of them. She turns white and seems to stagger slightly before regaining control of herself. Even as she does so the clerk barks "Nothing is happening of any importance! No one is hiding anything! Get OUT!!"

At the sound of his voice there are footsteps in the corridor