Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Four

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Four

Post by steveflam »

DOMENICA with SIR RORY

Sighing, she returns to Sir Rory'sposition, being careful not to disturb anything.

"Terribly sorry Sire. I am no tracker and seem to have lost the trail rather quickly," goin on to explain what she saw.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:DOMENICA with SIR RORY

Sighing, she returns to Sir Rory'sposition, being careful not to disturb anything.

"Terribly sorry Sire. I am no tracker and seem to have lost the trail rather quickly," goin on to explain what she saw.
"Well, tell me what it is you found and how you interpret it, my lady. The hired man will be here in about an hour, I hope, but we can at least discuss the clues we have now."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:
alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote:FIVE DAYS LATER

FILBERT
SAFANA
TERMELAN
Termelan seeks Filbert to give him a report. He politely greets his diminutive patron and takes him to a somewhat secluded spot where they can talk without too much risk to be overheard.
"Good afternoon lord Filbert. I've inquired the common folk about the person we're looking to visit. The bad news is that I got conflicting information about him and his background. The good news is that everyone seems to have an opinion about him and only the most outrageously defaming opinions were whispered. As such, I believe this person doesn't get around much, but also doesn't terrorize the people. Hence, I believe we will be safe enough to talk with him, without too much risk to our wellbeing.
Since he sounds as a reclusive fellow though, you have to find something to pick his interest. I'm not sure he plays much at politics from what I've heard, although I may be wrong, so for him to set aside his own projects to help allies ... there must be something for him to gain. "

Termelan makes a small pause, makes sure nobody overhears and adds. "You know Lord Filbert, the word "necromancer" did come up though. And there have been those rumors in Caer Haes about hordes of undead under his control. Something to keep in mind while we take the optimistic view that he's a recluse."
Filbert thinks for a moment before saying:
"Good job, keep asking around till we get the appointment. I will do it as well. Maybe we get some last minute information. Even if I think you are right, we might get conflicting information since not many people seem to know him well. As about necromancy, well I do hope that it's just a rumor because if it isn't I don't know which side he will decide to help...Since His Grace trust him as an ally I believe he is not evil so he will not get the undead under his control and turn against us, but caution is always important. Better not mention the zombies just in case. Just stick at the fact that the Manslayer may attack Tuornen and we might need his help to defend the land. He will have more benefit if we keep it and not Manslayer that's for sure and this is what will be for him, plus money of course. We may let him have access to our libraries if he wants but for more I will need to speak with His Grace. Anyway we are here to test the water, strengthen the alliance and be sure that he will do his best to protect Tuornen."

Filbert makes a small pause and adds:

"As about his gift, well I think he may prefer something rare or important, a component or a book perhaps. Something he cannot get easily. Even if I doubt there is something like that in Endier that he can't get. Anyway, if we cannot get that well at least we can get him something really beautiful or handmade as a necklace, a sword, a hat. Something that only he will have. I don't think he will appreciate common gifts. But better find out anyway. I will look for crafters and blacksmiths and also if there is a library that we can get a book from, one that is rare of course. You are welcome to come with me or keep doing your thing, you have done an excellent job so far."

Filbert (and TERMELAN, if the minstrel accompanies the halfling lord ) finds the the city offers numerous options for gift buying: jewelers, clothiers, silversmiths, and so on. No libraries open to the general public seem to exist (those are vanishingly rare in most countries) but there is a small book market and a printshop.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:

"Well, tell me what it is you found and how you interpret it, my lady. The hired man will be here in about an hour, I hope, but we can at least discuss the clues we have now."
It looks like the tracks stop or I lost them. The bodies of the twins are gone. I May have missed the trail as well. LIke I said I am no tracker, Sire. There is a pub closeby. MIght be worth it to

investigate, Sire. Get you out of the cold as well."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KAL ANTHERAK

HOUSE OF THE MARQUIS

The party searches the cavern, avoiding the savage Orogs that fight one another in the pits and hives of the "town."

The searchers discover a massive up thrusting stone, like a hill, in the middle part of what has proved to be a colossal underground space.
The Bard spots a narrow door set above a ledge twenty feet up the sheer rock.

Renn climbs up, nimble as any Ghonallison shepherd from the back hills. At the top, he secures a rope line and drops it for the others.
Nevil, the scout, goes up after Renn.

The Count's son finds and disables a crude alarm, a wire running over the ledge in front of the door. He examines the door. It looks like petrified wood, read with a lock plate of green bronze. Testing the door, he finds it locked.

His best efforts with wire and knife do not suffice to open the lock.
Nor does Nevil have any luck.

Boarhort ascends the rope, clanking so loud that surely some Orogs must hear him. He drags his bulky form onto the ledge. Seeing the trouble the other men are having, the fat knight tries breaking the door by main strength. It creaks and groans under the assault, but holds fast. He tries twisting the frame loose, but it, too, holds firm.

The other men below stand guard, watching the gloom beyond the torch light circle , waiting for an attack that could come at any moment.
Roald goes up the rope.

No more men can fit on the ledge after he joins the others.
With Boarhort's help, the Tuor champion breaks the stubborn door, knocking it to stony fragments.

Beyond the wrecked door stretches a black hallway, going who know haw far into the great mass of rock...

Below, the tentacled thing squirms.
It tells Cormac,
''Many Orogs coming. I hide.''
It then squeezes into the deepest pit in sight, and pulls rubble over itself. Quite effective camouflage.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:
ewancummins wrote:

It looks like the tracks stop or I lost them. The bodies of the twins are gone. I May have missed the trail as well. LIke I said I am no tracker, Sire. There is a pub closeby. MIght be worth it to

investigate, Sire. Get you out of the cold as well."

A little while later

SIGN OF THE HANGED MAN

A CROSSROADS PUBLIC HOUSE

DOMENICA finds the place almost empty of guests and staff, at least at first glance..
(Who wouldn't want to eat and drink in such a merry establishment, with such a lovely and realistic signboard hanging over the front door?)
She notes the two surly looking men in rough clothes who sit in front of the cold hearth smoking pipes and sipping at their mugs. A fat woman in a dirty apron and a ragged shawl dozes, head lolled back and arms hanging, in a chair near the door.

If there are others here, they may be in the back rooms, the kitchen, somewhere like that.

The front room is not impressive. Splintered floorboards. Beat up furniture.

The oilskin windows allow hazy light to stream into the barroom. But they don't allow a clear view of anything outside.

The place reeks like cat piss.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Domenica secures a table for them , whomever is with her, and tries to get the attention of the waitress/ barkeep. This is not the first nor the last time

she will be in such an establishment. She does look around as does GIMP.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Domenica secures a table for them , whomever is with her, and tries to get the attention of the waitress/ barkeep. This is not the first nor the last time

she will be in such an establishment. She does look around as does GIMP.

The barmaid gets up, rubbing her eyes.
"Eh?"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Somethnig warm to drink for me please. My friend an ale," she says with a smile. "Is it always this quiet at this time of day?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:"Somethnig warm to drink for me please. My friend an ale," she says with a smile. "Is it always this quiet at this time of day?"
"Not always, m'lady. But since our old brew all went bad, we don't get many guests. The new stuff is better, though--you want to try some?"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Of course. YEs I heard about the bad ale. Have you rooms here to rent?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:"Of course. YEs I heard about the bad ale. Have you rooms here to rent?"

''Sure. Two bedrooms."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Domenica discreetly slides some coins plus a few extra coins to the woman. "Are the rooms vacant or occupied at the present?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Domenica discreetly slides some coins plus a few extra coins to the woman. "Are the rooms vacant or occupied at the present?"
The peasant blinks.
''Vacant, if that is noble-talk for empty."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Sorry to have offended you, ma'am. I'm actually curious if anyone has passed through here in the last few hours. It might be worth your while if

you can help me out here."