Birthright 3 Chapter 6

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright 3 Chapter 6

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Filbert closes his eyes for a moment and then opens them still trying to focus. Looking at his companions peprlexed faces he just says:

"We aren't in Endier any more, we are in Elf hill near the place we have seen at the map. Don't ask me how, but we did cover the distance is short time, it's faster and safer than shadow travel. Just don't mention it to others, people often don't understand how these abilities work and things might get messy."

Facing Safana continues:

"Neither to Caine if possible, I know you have to give him a report but please leave this detail out. He doesn't need to know how we got here. And if he insists just tell him that was a halfling ability which is also true. He knows that halflings can travel in shadowrealm."

Seeing the dust trails he continues:

"I think we should go that way, something is happening up there and I think this is where we need to be. Just better avoid the cloud."

FILBERT leads his little party on...

They draw near the spot where they had first seen the cloud.

Looking about, Filbert spots some peasants resting in the fields nearby. These men seem intent on the Hill, a suspiciously regular mound with a ring of standing stones on top--the stones only barely visible in the shifting black cloud.

There's something off about all these guys loafing about the fields...
Peering at the nearest clump, Filbert realizes that they are all armed.
A woman in appears on the far side of the mound and heads out across the barren heath, running full speed with her coat flapping in the wind.
She seems to be headed towards one of the clumps of armed peasants.
Her screams draw Filbert's attention.

Meanwhile the inky cloud has begun to blow off from the hill top.

What neither the Halfling nor his companions notice in time is that as the cloud melts away across the near slope of Elf Hill, something comes out from under it.
A swarm of maggots as big as sheep.

Termelan and Safana may still escape by abandoning the Halfling, but Filbert is too slow to get away from the rolling mass of overgrown vermin.

As the things flop and writhe ever closer, the Halfling and his friends (if they remain by his side) see that the wormy things have faces like human skulls. Pus-dripping, yellow eyes stare out from the sunken orbits. The mouths mumble and whisper in some alien, blasphemous language. Six of them converge on Filbert...

MEANWHILE

Gunnar's men , and the other militiamen, are stunned by the horror crawling down Elf Hill.
But Gunnar's men, at least, recover quickly.

Spaced out at a safe distance, the gathered force does not quite encircle the entire area of Elf Hill, but watches all likely approaches.

So when the half-man , the woman, and the man hike down a slope near Elf Hill, Gunnar's men spot them straight off.
Not sure if they are seeing friends of foes, they neither fire arrows nor call out warnings.
Where did these people come from?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Quote:
DOMENICA creeps up the west slope of Elf Hill, keeping low.
She reaches the black cloud, examines it, and listens...

They emerge in silence, pale faces twisted in grimaces, dirty hands reaching for the spy. Six dead men.

She evades them, sliding down the hill, but even as she escapes her slow pursuers...

EVERYONE sees it. The cloud melts and peels away in strips. The top of Elf Hill writhes with maggots the size of sheep, wriggling out through the standing stones and rolling down all sides of the mound.

One rolls right past Domenica. She sees what distance spares the others; its face,

VIEW CONTENT: Show

The men in watch positions crawl or stagger back at the sight of the ghastly swarm coming from the hill top.

Domenica turns around and without missing a beat, she runs like her ass is on fire, clearly afraid and unnerved by what she has seen.

She can't arrive fast enough and she doesn't stop until she is in front of Isolde, panting, trying to catch her breath. Anyone seeing her sees she is clearly afraid.
"Milady, it is the most terrible thing I've seen, and that is saying a lot. The cloud peeled back and maggots as big as sheep came out. What in the name of all that is

normal is that? We need to do something, and fast. If we have magic help it would be good to use it, like now."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:

Quote:
DOMENICA creeps up the west slope of Elf Hill, keeping low.
She reaches the black cloud, examines it, and listens...

They emerge in silence, pale faces twisted in grimaces, dirty hands reaching for the spy. Six dead men.

She evades them, sliding down the hill, but even as she escapes her slow pursuers...

EVERYONE sees it. The cloud melts and peels away in strips. The top of Elf Hill writhes with maggots the size of sheep, wriggling out through the standing stones and rolling down all sides of the mound.

One rolls right past Domenica. She sees what distance spares the others; its face,

VIEW CONTENT: Show

The men in watch positions crawl or stagger back at the sight of the ghastly swarm coming from the hill top.

Domenica turns around and without missing a beat, she runs like her ass is on fire, clearly afraid and unnerved by what she has seen.

She can't arrive fast enough and she doesn't stop until she is in front of Isolde, panting, trying to catch her breath. Anyone seeing her sees she is clearly afraid.
"Milady, it is the most terrible thing I've seen, and that is saying a lot. The cloud peeled back and maggots as big as sheep came out. What in the name of all that is

normal is that? We need to do something, and fast. If we have magic help it would be good to use it, like now."
ISOLDE looks at Domenica and then at Domenica's followers.

''Get close to me. But don't bump me or interrupt my prayers.''

The priestess begins to chant.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana bows at Filbert's words.

"You may rest assured my lips are sealed, Lord Filbert, although the magic you have used seems quite honorable and dignified to me."

She eyes the cloud carefully as they approach the hill, then gazes in astonishment at the maggots, then lifts her hand. Once again, a shimmering sphere of flame roils form her fingers and rolls around Filbert, aiming to burn the writhing maggots as they approach him. At the same time she keeps a close eye on the wriggling things in case they show any signs of coming for her.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Safana bows at Filbert's words.

"You may rest assured my lips are sealed, Lord Filbert, although the magic you have used seems quite honorable and dignified to me."

She eyes the cloud carefully as they approach the hill, then gazes in astonishment at the maggots, then lifts her hand. Once again, a shimmering sphere of flame roils form her fingers and rolls around Filbert, aiming to burn the writhing maggots as they approach him. At the same time she keeps a close eye on the wriggling things in case they show any signs of coming for her.
Her conjured flames drive off the greater part of the vile horde, but some of the monsters roll past the fire and attack Filbert...

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sorry this should be in OOC
[dice]0[/dice]
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC AND CRANSTEL

As the undead horrors appear from the hill, Cranstel shrieks and dives for cover while the Druid prepares his weaponry.

"To arms, lads," he says, "We're under attack!"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CLOSER TO ELF-HILL (than the militia)

FILBERT bolts, kicking up clods as he puts open ground between himself and the maggot creatures.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert runs for his life as he has never done waving his hands panicked and yells:

"Run!!"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac points past the fleeing people. "They need cover. Archers, ready!" He pulls his bow and lets loose on the maggots to try and at least slow them down.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Cormac points past the fleeing people. "They need cover. Archers, ready!" He pulls his bow and lets loose on the maggots to try and at least slow them down.

THE HORROR ON ELF HILL

CORMAC fires, joined by such as the militia as carry hunting bows or crossbows.
Arrows pepper the earth. One shot--Cormac's--pins a giant maggot to the dirt. But the other arrows bounce off the creatures, or foul in the slime coating the things, or miss and strike bare ground.
The loathsome mass flows over the open field toward the Tuor forces.
Smoke coils up on the right side of the monsters, where a pitchy ball rolls about, flaming.

The Halfling races for safety, short legs pumping as he flees.
A brown haired man dashes up to the Halfling and pulls him off the ground. With the Halfling on his shoulder and the ghastly swarm and fire at his back, the man runs UNDER the arc of fire and jumps into a ditch near the archers.

The mystery woman who arrived near the mound with the Halfling makes gestures of control sending the fiery orb rolling across the field, driving the creeping swarm back up the hillside.
She, too, withdraws to the relative safety of the armed party.

The dampness of the last few days prevents a full on wild fire from developing, but patches of grass and shrubbery smolder. Nasty clouds of white and gray smoke blow toward the men as a downdraft rushes from the top of Elf Hill.

The wind carries a charnel odor strong enough to reduce some of the men to retching and weeping.

Grinding sounds echo from the standing stones on the hilltop as the blocks shift position, fallen plinths lurching upright like the fingers of a dead hand reanimated.

The grinding noise resolves into a voice, which seems to come not only from the top of Elf Hill but from the earth beneath the feet of Cormac, Filbert, and the others.

The buried voice says one word...

ORCUS

ORCUS

ORCUS

A higher pitched voice joins it, calling out from the stone circle. "ORCUS! Master! I call you!"
The speaker cannot be seen, hidden by smoke, maggot heaps, and the stones of the circle.

The earth shakes. Cracks appear...

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Termelan seems out of breath as he lets down the Halfling. He takes a swig from his flask smiles to the Halfling and says "Certainly interesting to be in your service lord Filbert".
And then, despite thoughts he would be out of breath, Termelan starts to sing as the cacophony of Orcus and the smell of burning maggots approaches the group. His clear voice is wrought with determination.
It is a song about fathers fighting for their families against a terrifying force of the dead, with bravery in the face of danger, spitting in death's eye during the blackest hour with darkness closing in from all sides, and eventually prevailing.
Those that lost their lives were immortalized in this very song. Those that prevailed drummed the victory and went back home safe. It is a song to remind people of the honor to die for a good cause. That every battle fought in a campaign whether small or large helps. It is a song to keep the line fighting in the face of demonic enemies and vile magic.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana retreats back down the hill, at the rear, sweeping her flaming sphere to and fro to burn back the maggoty swarm. She hesitates when she hears the voice, her sudden alarm muted by the encouraging song, but her urgency remaining.

"A summoning! We have to get up there and disrupt that ritual...right now! If she finishes it..."

She grits her teeth and sends her sphere bouncing against the twisted things, heading forward, hoping that she will encourage or shame some into following her!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert's needs few moments to catch his breath. His feels his lungs burn and cannot feel his legs, turning to Termelan says:

"Thank you, I doubt my short legs could get me away fast enough. If this whole madness ends, I will mention to the Duke that you were willing to sucrifice yourself to save me. You didn't know that you could outrun these maggots."

Filbert salutes briefly those he recognizes and was ready to ask them what they are doin ghere when Safana tells them about the ritual.

"You think this can get worse! Can you pinpoint the Crone? For what we know so far I bet she is the one doing the ritual. I can try to get us there without passing through the swarm."

Looking to Rennault, Roald and Termelan that have already been with him in shadow realm before he adds:

"Yes with shadow jump. It will not be an easy task and I'm not sure I can succeed during day time but I think it worths a try. If Lady safana tells me where we need to appear I can try to get us there and maggots cannot harm us. I hope the one that is doing the ritual have no more bodyguards and the maggots will need some time to return back."
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Termelan, still singing gives a court nod to Filbert.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!