POVERO Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Two

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:ALFONSE

"Sounds like this has all been a waste of time," Alfonse says, "What shall we do for the rest of the day? Check the Friar and see if the others are there?"
DAMIEN replies.
"That sounds good to me, signore."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Fantastic, I'd like another crack at that game..."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

"Back to the Friar it is. I can pay obeisance at the temple tomorrow."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Friar inn

Fild enters and spots his allies. He goes to their table and after ordering food and drink tells them "Hi there fellas! I have spend a day looking for news. I've found TONS of nearly useless information. It ranges from the price of water cup in the nice areas to barricaded guild houses that look like castles.
How about you?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Friar inn

Fild enters and spots his allies. He goes to their table and after ordering food and drink tells them "Hi there fellas! I have spend a day looking for news. I've found TONS of nearly useless information. It ranges from the price of water cup in the nice areas to barricaded guild houses that look like castles.
How about you?"

Damien says,
"We asked some questions, got some answers. The signores can say best how things went."
He pours wine into his pewter goblet from a clay pitcher.
"But if you found out more about the water situation in this city, and the guilds, I don't know...some of that might be more useful than you think. Or maybe not. I leave the planning to smarter men, like Alfonse. But I just know that before you sit down at a new table and ask to be dealt in, it's a good idea to size up the other players, maybe watch..." The gambler trails off and returns to sipping his wine.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Friar inn

"True enough, but I didn't find out anything profitable or interesting. Aside of some gossip about two of the three big houses squabbling with each other and the third one's armsmen having to intervene to prevent violence once a while.
I also learned that the water-seller guild is powerful and well connected. An important player on the table you described Damien. Lot's of money in front of them. "

Fild pauses for a bit as he remembers something. "Another thing that may be of importance later in our city dealings is this: The dock rats seem smarter than the average rat, more organized, with a few more concepts than food and all. I can talk with rats. As such, bribing them with food for information may provide more valuable descriptions. I still don't think they can tell one too-big from another or understand social station etc but it's better than nothing."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse gives a wry smile at the mention that the information Fild acquired was less than useful. "Well, that fits with the rest of this misadventure. Our new friend, Titus here, knew where to find one of the muggers from last night and we learned that it was all exactly what we thought it was: a mugging gone wrong. No great families feuding, no assassination attempt. Once we find the rest of the crew, we can go let Lord Aldron know he can walk the streets safely." He chuckles. "Well, safely enough."

"Since the good priest helped us wrap up this misadventure, I think we ought to see that he gets a share of the pay, incidentally," he says, "Apparently he saved the man who had been shot in the head, which kept a murder charge off of you."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild's expression darkens.
"Thank you for saving a man no much worse than us mr Titus. He didn't deserve an arrow to the head for a mugging. The Gods know we have done some not-so-honest things ourselves."
Titus may notice that Fild was clearly more interested in the unjust grievous attack the wannabe mugger suffered than the legal side of it. And he seems bothered by the lethality of the attack.

"If I may speak freely... a day and a half ago there was some discussion about a course of action that would have put us in a similar path as the people we attacked without provocation."
My DMGuild work!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Titus nods to Alphonse.

"A cut of the pay would be very generous, but I'm just glad my intervention worked out for the best."

He turns to Fild. "It by the Speaker's guidance that I arrived when I did. He clearly didn't wish to have someone die without good cause."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom and Gertie return to the inn and find all their companions gathered there and also another man that Tom remembers from the road. Tom orders some food and water for him and Gertie and then joins the others but addresses Titus first.

"Hello there, I'm Tom, this is my sister Gertie and my dog Gem. I see you already met the rest of our small gang."

He smiles at his last comment and then says addressing all the group.

"I'm sorry that I messed it up last night. I saw that thug looking up at Gertie and thought he was going to attack her that's why I shot him, it was a hasty call I recognize it. But I saw what they did to Aldron this aftrenoon, they aren't the best guys and aren't afraid to go 6 on 1 to someone to rob him...Anyway, Fild you were right, this Mook guy has no interesting connection but still we find out that the thief catcher's guild is a bunch of thugs...they take the law to their hands and enforce it as they please...Still if one of us manage to join their group we can gather important information. Just I doubt me or Gertie could fit there, we better do as we did before rely on ourselves and to those we know best, you guys."

He raises his glass even if he is drinking just water.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild makes a slightly embarrassed shrugged to Titus. "Yeah, this is Tom. I guess you figured out that he was the one "over-eager" enough about the mugger." Turning to Tom, he pats his hands to show him that things are good between them but says "I would like to speak you later about that incident" with a look that says that things are good but he's concerned about the action.

"Moving to another thing of some concern, I would like to address. First, let me apologize to you Titus, it has nothing to do with you personally." Turning to the others he says "This is Titus. Someone you may remember from the road. Someone we barely know and we still revealed to him that we ... had a hand in some unlawful violence. While Titus has been well informed, he is the priest that prevented a fatality after all, I would like to say Tom and Gertie that we should be more careful about how we discuss things. Please do not assume that just because you find someone sitting with us he's trustworthy. Again, no offense to you Titus.
For example, Gertie and Tom, you both have seen the pit bully " he laugs at his own joke here " and you may see me drinking with him in the future. Don't assume he knows what we do or who asked us to do it. You may also, hopefully see me drinking with some other people from the guild of the Water Carriers. I would definitely prefer to keep our ... extra-curricular practices secret from them."
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Finishing his food, Tom tells the others "So, should we go inform our patron of the good news?"
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom nods to Fild.

"Sure thing, I will be more careful next time. As about inform Aldron, well I think we should so we can get some money as well. As for the water carriers do you think I can be useful there? I'm strong and maybe I can help them build things or watch the water supplement, Gem is excellent in guarding as well. More connection we do in this city the merer."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie listens to everyone, quiet. Sipping her juice, she thinks about everything thus far. "Getting paid by Aldron should be our first priority. As for myself, personally,

I learned quite a good portion from Mook. For people with my talents, there is no gang, or guild. Yes the thief-catchers are bullies and abuse of their power. However,

that doesn't mean that someone like myself can not find work. I just have to look in the right place, so to speak. If you fellas want to be water carriers or whatever, that is fine

by me and I approve. I will agree that though Mook was particularly useless, I now have a source of information inside these city walls. Something we need. He owes me

big time and I suspect he will be helpful to me."

She pauses, sipping her juice.

"I think I can find work I want to do, without having to join a water guild or thief catching guild. So, what say we head on over to Aldron's?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Tw

Post by ewancummins »

Damien shakes his head. He whispers,
"Great point about the pay, Gertie. But I think it's a bad idea to go to his estate and ask to meet him. We are supposed to be secretly working for him. Going to his estate shows too much to others. Titus knows, but that's because the signore--"
He looks at Alfonse, and then back to Gertie,
"--brought him in. Good thing, too,because we could not have sorted it out without Titus's help. So I think we should go to the Admiral's Arms as our patron told us to do, and collect our pay from his agent there."

He turns toward Alfonse."Signore?"