ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Four

Post by ewancummins »

OPEN MARKET

TITUS
Varrus the Ethical wrote:Open Market, Titus

"For Divination purposes, signore," Titus says. "Though there are times those are one and the same, my skills is in augury, not in hauruspicy."

He holds up the caged birds. "Is there something you wish to learn form the Speaker-in-Storms, signore?"
The young gentleman says,
''Actually, yes. I'm an officer in our city's fleet. I've run into a spot of trouble in my career. A misunderstanding with my commander about one of his female relations. To be blunt about it, the old man thinks I'm trying to seduce his niece, but it's rather the other way round. My previous kindness has been misread, I fear. I've no intentions of marrying her, and I've not done anything that would compel me to do that...only he thinks I have done.I need divine guidance on how best to handle this situation. I was headed to the civic temple, but I saw you and thought perhaps the god was sending me a sign I needn't walk so far for help."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Titus

"The Speaker is not one to make his follower wear out their boots too quickly. Let us see what advice he has about this delicate situation you have found yourself in." He sets the cage down and unlatches the door, but stops short of opening it, waiting for the young man to pay.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE OPEN MARKET PLAZA
Varrus the Ethical wrote:Titus

"The Speaker is not one to make his follower wear out their boots too quickly. Let us see what advice he has about this delicate situation you have found yourself in." He sets the cage down and unlatches the door, but stops short of opening it, waiting for the young man to pay.
The man presses five silver pennies into Titus's hands.

The birds coo, then take wing and fly out of the cage. They circle above Titus, making loops and arcs in the clear air.
He studies their pattern until they pass out of sight over the rooftops of the city...
VIEW CONTENT:
The augury suggests that the best policy for this gentleman will be to arrange for another man to come forward and seek the attention of the amorous lady. Look for someone he thinks would actually be a good match, one of his fellow officers, perhaps.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri May 27, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I am content to wait," Alfonse responds, "I wished only to make an introduction to a current customer."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IN FRONT OF THE DRESS SHOP
Adam wrote:"I am content to wait," Alfonse responds, "I wished only to make an introduction to a current customer."

The older guard cocks an eyebrow at that.
"Oh?"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tom, accompanied by Gertie and Gem arrive the shop. Upon seeing the guards talking to Alfonse and thier demeanor, she takes this as a good sign.

She wonders, however, why Alfonse is not inside. Curious about the shop itself, Gertie will approach the window and look at what the shop has

to offer.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:IN FRONT OF THE DRESS SHOP
Adam wrote:"I am content to wait," Alfonse responds, "I wished only to make an introduction to a current customer."

"Oh?"
"Indeed," Alfonse responds, trying to sound off-handed, "My family is looking to establish business relations with Povero and wished me to make contact with House Holbin. As fortune would have it, I noticed Miss Elissa inside, and had hoped to introduce myself." He looks up as if an idea had occurred to him, "Does your Mistress happen to know the Holbines?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IN FRONT OF THE DRESS SHOP
Adam wrote:
ewancummins wrote:IN FRONT OF THE DRESS SHOP

"Oh?"
"Indeed," Alfonse responds, trying to sound off-handed, "My family is looking to establish business relations with Povero and wished me to make contact with House Holbin. As fortune would have it, I noticed Miss Elissa inside, and had hoped to introduce myself." He looks up as if an idea had occurred to him, "Does your Mistress happen to know the Holbines?"
"Know them? Yes...ah, here she comes now. Please give way, signore."

The other men lay their hands on their sword hilts.
These other armed men interpose themselves so that neither Alfonse nor Fild may get within arm's reach of the lady who comes through the door.
VIEW CONTENT:
(If Fild and Alfonse refuse to give way, there may be trouble. Let me know if I need to edit.)

The lady who emerges into the sunlight looks very much like the miniature portrait inside the locket; pretty, young, with light hair and blue eyes. She wears a low cut green silk gown and a chain of pearls.
She steps out toward the street, with her guards forming a ring around her.
The older guard whispers in her ear.

She turns and looks toward Alfonse.
"Do I know you, signore?"

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:Tom, accompanied by Gertie and Gem arrive the shop. Upon seeing the guards talking to Alfonse and thier demeanor, she takes this as a good sign.

She wonders, however, why Alfonse is not inside. Curious about the shop itself, Gertie will approach the window and look at what the shop has

to offer.

Two of the guards keep an eye on Gertie and Tom, but not to the point of staring hard.

Looking through one of the small round windows, Gertie sees shelves and racks lined with dresses, bolts of brightly colored cloth, strings of buttons, hanging lace, and other such frilly and fancy stuff that fine ladies like to wear. A girl in an apron passes the window, reaches for something out of Gertie's view, and a moment later holds up a long string tied with rows of regularly spaced knots. The girl then moves left and out of sight.

Gertie hears the guards say something about stepping clear, possibly to Alfonse.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"We have not yet been introduced," Alfonse says, while giving a deep bow, "My name is Alfonse Debusin, first son of Holdreth Debusin, owner and operator of Debusin Merchants and shipping operating from Ferrantio. We are trying to establish trade with one of the great houses here in the city, and I am in the process of establishing a formal introduction with your father, but I saw you in the marketplace and thought I would make your acquaintance."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"We have not yet been introduced," Alfonse says, while giving a deep bow, "My name is Alfonse Debusin, first son of Holdreth Debusin, owner and operator of Debusin Merchants and shipping operating from Ferrantio. We are trying to establish trade with one of the great houses here in the city, and I am in the process of establishing a formal introduction with your father, but I saw you in the marketplace and thought I would make your acquaintance."
She smiles.
''My father? Ah, yes, I see. It is good to make your acquaintance, Signore Debusin. I am afraid I don't know anybody in Ferrantio, but of course I've heard of your famous university and its old library."
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed May 25, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse brightens. "I am a student of the University, on sabbatical at the moment. The stories you have heard can not, of course, do justice to the vast accumulation of knowledge there. Have you any interest in greater studies some time in the future?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Alfonse brightens. "I am a student of the University, on sabbatical at the moment. The stories you have heard can not, of course, do justice to the vast accumulation of knowledge there. Have you any interest in greater studies some time in the future?"

''I do like to read, though I cannot claim to be a scholar. Does your operation deal in books as well as other goods?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"We do," Alfonse responds, dropping into stride with the girl, "It's not a major cargo, of course, but we have deals with certain publishing interests who distribute some tomes and pamphlets to other cities of the world. Do you have any particular reading interests, signora?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"We do," Alfonse responds, dropping into stride with the girl, "It's not a major cargo, of course, but we have deals with certain publishing interests who distribute some tomes and pamphlets to other cities of the world. Do you have any particular reading interests, signora?"
''I enjoy novels. But I'm also rather interested in agriculture and mining. This is something we'll have to discuss at a later time, signore. I've got to go meet my cousin now. Until next time."

She starts to leave, accompanied by her guards...