POVERO Chapter Four

Online roleplaying at the Café
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: POVERO Chapter Four

Post by VAN »

Tom spots the guards as well and makes no move to get closer, he goes near Gertie instead and says:

"Gertie, pass me the note I have an idea."

When Gertie gives him the note Tom paces fast but not running towards Alfonse with his hand up so he gets his attention. He slows down so he doesn't seem threatening and stops few feet away closer to Fild since he is the bodyguard.

"Excuse me Signore, I think you dropped this piece of paper earlier at the other shop. You may need it."
Last edited by VAN on Thu May 26, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild watches "suspiciously" Tom and interjects between him and Alfonse. "Signore, this man found the card you have misplaced. Should I bring it to you?" He doesn't take his eyes for his ally.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

While this distraction continues, Signora Holbin and her guards move off...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Signora," Alfonse says, "I have a number of tomes at my lodging that may be of interest to you. Would you mind if I had one sent to your residence?"

He hastens to keep up with the young lady and her guards as they walk away, being mindful to stay clear of the guards' arms.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"Signora," Alfonse says, "I have a number of tomes at my lodging that may be of interest to you. Would you mind if I had one sent to your residence?"

He hastens to keep up with the young lady and her guards as they walk away, being mindful to stay clear of the guards' arms.
She looks back.
"Very kind of you. You may send it to Holbin House, where I am staying. Good day, signore, and thank you for the pleasant diversion of our conversation. I really must go see my cousin now."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Of course, signora," Alfonse says, bowing again, "Give my regards to your cousin."

He turns back to the others, a sly smile spreading on his face. "I've got an idea," he says, "We need to go find a bookseller."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

As it happens, a bookseller is marked on the map Aldron provided.
(Location 6)
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri May 27, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Come on, fellows, I may have just solved our issue," he says.

Alfonse travels to the booksellers which is marked on the map Aldron provided. He finds a shopkeep and introduces himself. "Greetings," he says, "My name is Derek. I am looking for a book for, ahem, a lady friend of mine. She is a maid of high standing in the city, and enjoys novels as well as books regarding agriculture or mining. I'm looking for something special that will...impress her, if you take my meaning."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE READER'S REST

A large two story shop.

The lower floor is where the printers and binders work. A sign above one room facing the street advertises book repairs.
The upper floor, easily acessible by open stairs ascending from the street, sells finished books and pamphlets.
About twenty customers browse the titles, sit and read, or talk quietly with one another.
The selection inside pales in comparison with the library at Ferrantio, of course, but these books are not chained to desks or guarded by ill-tempered librarians. The books, many with buff leather covers and printed on cheap paper, crowd the gaily-painted shelves that line all four walls of the showroom. Pamphlets and broadsheets lie spread atop several tables arranged in the middle of the chamber. At least ten chairs stand empty. Several long, tall windows admit ample sunlight for reading.
The air smells of ink and paper, though not so strongly as the lower floor workshops.

A couple of apprentices in leather aprons man a spot near door to the stairway down to the street, with a strongbox affixed to the wall at their backs and a big slate hung up beside that container.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri May 27, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

AT THE READER'S REST

Adam wrote:"Come on, fellows, I may have just solved our issue," he says.

Alfonse travels to the booksellers which is marked on the map Aldron provided. He finds a shopkeep and introduces himself. "Greetings," he says, "My name is Derek. I am looking for a book for, ahem, a lady friend of mine. She is a maid of high standing in the city, and enjoys novels as well as books regarding agriculture or mining. I'm looking for something special that will...impress her, if you take my meaning."

The two apprentices appear to be keeping a tally of what is sold, and actually receiving the payments.

One of them, a boy with freckles across his nose, tells "Derek" , " We have all that stuff, signore. I can help you look if you like."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Many thanks," 'Derek' responds. He gestures towards the stacks. "After you."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

OOC : Presuming we are in the store with Alfonse

Gertie taps Alfonse on the arm. She leans towards him, speaking in a lowered voice "Signor Alfonse perhaps these men know of the lady you are purchasing for

and might be able to even help you more if you mention her name. Unless it is considered rude to mention her name, of course. I am unknowing in these matters, Signor."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse whispers back "Unless of course said lady were to vanish in the night, at which point certain booksellers would be loose ends that could implicate people who were buying her a gift the day before."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Since they have decided to go to the bookshop Tom prefers to wait outside keeping Gem close to him so he doesn't get away again. He pretends to just admire the buildings around but also keeps an eye at the bookstore and who enters.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ewancummins wrote:THE OPEN MARKET PLAZA
The man presses five silver pennies into Titus's hands.

The birds coo, then take wing and fly out of the cage. They circle above Titus, making loops and arcs in the clear air.
He studies their pattern until they pass out of sight over the rooftops of the city...
VIEW CONTENT:
The augury suggests that the best policy for this gentleman will be to arrange for another man to come forward and seek the attention of the amorous lady. Look for someone he thinks would actually be a good match, one of his fellow officers, perhaps.
Titus scraches his chin. "Ah, yes. The Speaker is wise." He turns to the young man. "You, singore, should find a good match for this young woman who admires you. That should take her attention elsewhere, and perhaps earn you the gratitude of your superior."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.