POVERO Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Five

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:Gertie looks back as she grabs the rope and jumps out,, "We're trying to help Miss Elissa, thanks you idiot."

The woman stares at Gertie in apparent confusion.

And then Gertie's gone out the window, and is sliding down the rope. But she slips, skids down the side of the wall, and tumbles across the porch below.
She gets up. No broken bones.

Noises come from inside the house.

Damien staggers across the lawn, shaking his head like a drunkard coming out of his stupor.

Elissa hangs onto Tom's arm by the side of the brick building that abuts the porch on the west.

Somewhere nearby, horses neigh...

...DAMIEN reels toward the noises , which seem to come from one of the nearby outbuildings.
He moves out of sight of Gertie and Tom, around the far side of that building.

Gertie hurries to stop Damien.

He ignores her, still looking dazed, and fumbles with the latch of the stables door. Inside, horses whinny and stamp.

Elissa rushes to Gertie's side.
''We have to go." The young lady grabs Damien and shakes him.
''Now!"

That seems to snap him out of it.

''No time for ponies? Okay--We'll need the Maiden's fleet feet to get out of this jam, Gertie!"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Outside the wall, Alfonse shakes his head in dismay. "My god," he says...."These cards are just terrible. Are you sure you aren't cheating? This isn't a rigged deck?"

Presuming Fild shakes his head to the negatory, Alfonse sighs in disgust and throws his cards on the small pile of coins. "I really thought I understood the game, this time..." he mutters. Then the scream of "Burglars!" goes up, and his eyes widen in alarm.

"Quick!" Alfonse says. "Give me a boost so I can see over the wall!"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Outside the wall, Alfonse shakes his head in dismay. "My god," he says...."These cards are just terrible. Are you sure you aren't cheating? This isn't a rigged deck?"

Presuming Fild shakes his head to the negatory, Alfonse sighs in disgust and throws his cards on the small pile of coins. "I really thought I understood the game, this time..." he mutters. Then the scream of "Burglars!" goes up, and his eyes widen in alarm.

"Quick!" Alfonse says. "Give me a boost so I can see over the wall!"
Fild and the others did not hear the shouting.
Only Alfonse did.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild looks at Alfonse alarmed. "What? Did you hear something? Are we busted already?" and moves to help the wizard take a look over the fence.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Titus shrugs. "I never was much for sneaking."

He moves to help boost the wizard.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

alhoon wrote:Fild looks at Alfonse alarmed. "What? Did you hear something? Are we busted already?" and moves to help the wizard take a look over the fence.
"I heard a shout from inside," Alfonse says, looking back and forth. "It appears this is going as well as our last job..."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom watches patiently without really understanding why Ms Elissa needs the heave chest so much, it would just slow them down. But he doesn't say anything till the scream: Burglars!

"My Lady, please take my hand, I will help you climb up the wall. Then a friend of mine will help you climb down and we will lead you to Richard."

If Elissa accepts Tom's hand he leads her at the part of the wall where is Alfonse and then if she accepts he offers her a boost to help her climb up.

"Alfonse, please get Fild up the fence he is stronger and he can help Lady Elissa climb down. We need to hurry."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"And we would need Alfonse to lend us his magical expertise to drop any pursuit... " Fild adds.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Satisfied that no guards are immediately pursuing, Alfonse hops down to the street and cups his hands to give Fild a boost.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The burglars and the lady fly from Holbin House. GERTIE trips and falls on the downhill lawn, but Damien pulls her up.
They all race on.
Ellissa's nighgown snags on a trellis as she reels into the vineyard clinging to Tom's arm. She tugs at her caught sleeve, ripping it loose and leaving the white cloth flapping on the frame.
They jog through the grapevines and arrive wheezing and sweating at the masonry border wall, hundreds of yards from Holbin House.

But even as they reach the shallow ditch and ten-foot stone wall, the thunder of hoofbeats fills the air. Horsemen, coming from Holbin House at a gallop! Tom sees at least ten. Naked steel flashes in their sword-hands as they all lean forward in their saddles, spurring their mounts on. They do not slow much for the vineyard, but ride through or jump their horses over the vines.
They will reach the wall in seconds...

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Titus's heat beats almost as fast as the hooves of the approaching horses.

He eyes the walls and says, "It is times like this that make me wish I had been born a bird. It wouldn't even have to be a big one. A sparrow would be enough."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie moves to help people boost up over the wall. "I can get over by myself, no arguments from anyone, understood? Move, move , move!

Tom, don't worry about me, I can make it over by my own means, easily, Just get everyone over!"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom doesn't have much time to argue he helps Elissa climb the wall.

"First priority is get her to Richard. Then we should split it will be easier to hide."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild nod to what Tom said "I really hope the humans here have a very fast wedding ritual... if those guys track Lady Elissa to the Rendezvous location, we're done for. We could delay them for perhaps a minute.

Can we use the secret tunnel to lose them?"
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Get the girl, and let me try to put them to sleep!" Alfonse says.