POVERO Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Five

Post by ewancummins »

TOM

Looking up, he sees his sister get atop the brick building, then jump up and clamber onto the roof of the big house. A moment later, she reappears, swinging under the roof edge. She clings to the wall and crawls to the edge of a window.

The light in that window vanishes. And then Gertie shifts and the window opens. A woman appears in the window. Looks like it could be Elissa.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie is a little surprised, but quickly gathers her wits. In a low voice "Do not be alarmed, Lady Elissa. My name is Gertie and I am here on behalf of Richard. PLease ignore my appearance.

I am here to help you get to him. PLease don't be alarmed, I am here to help you. Have you anything to bring with you? We need to hurry. Some people are below to help us."

Gertie's attitude is very friendly and she tries to appear reassuring at teh same time.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:Gertie is a little surprised, but quickly gathers her wits. In a low voice "Do not be alarmed, Lady Elissa. My name is Gertie and I am here on behalf of Richard. PLease ignore my appearance.

I am here to help you get to him. PLease don't be alarmed, I am here to help you. Have you anything to bring with you? We need to hurry. Some people are below to help us."

Gertie's attitude is very friendly and she tries to appear reassuring at the same time.

The young lady blinks.

She pulls back.

"'I...how do I know Richard sent you?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:

The young lady blinks.

She pulls back.

Gertie reaches into a pocket and retrieves a locket. As she hands it over, she says "You gave this to Richard, milady."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:
ewancummins wrote:

The young lady blinks.

She pulls back.

Gertie reaches into a pocket and retrieves a locket. As she hands it over, she says "You gave this to Richard, milady."

The lady takes it. She shuts the windows, leaving Gertie clinging to the wall of the house.

A sharp rasping sound comes through the window panes.

Again, and this time, sparks fly in the dark.

A candleflame springs up. Elissa's face appears behind the glass, smiling.
She carefully opens the window to admit Gertie into the spacious, dim bedroom.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie looks inside before enterring.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:Gertie looks inside before entering.
GERTIE

The bedroom is bigger than the house Gertie grew up in: fifty or sixty feet on each side, with a ceiling she cannot reach without jumping.
A big four poster bed stands along the wall in the NE corner.
Two tall wardrobes of carved and polished hardwood stand along the south wall. A white gown sewn with jewels and lace hangs from the corner of one of the wardrobes.

A heavy chest, as big as something a sea captain might use to transport his belongings, rests at the foot of the bed.

The others walls are lined with bookshelves, art objects in crystal and wood display cases, damasks, and paintings. Where the bare walls show, Gertie sees simple, well-made lime wood paneling.

Gertie sees no fireplace or standing brazier , but she does notice floor vents with brass fittings ,in the corners of the room.

The hardwood floor is half covered by a big wine-colored rug.

Shadows hide part of the large chamber, but Gertie also makes out the dim outlines of screens, chairs, and other furniture neatly stacked along walls.
She sees two doors, both closed.
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie enters through the window. "Are we bringing anything with us, like that chest for instance?" She looks around for Elissa and asks as well "What was that noise I heard?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:Gertie enters through the window. "Are we bringing anything with us, like that chest for instance?" She looks around for Elissa and asks as well "What was that noise I heard?"
Elissa looks at the chest.
''It's heavy."
At the mention of noise, she looks about the room, thrusting her candle out several times and staring intently into the shadowed corners of the great bedchamber.
"I didn't hear anything, and I don't see anything out of place. Maybe you just heard air moving in the vents?"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Okay. Let's see if I can move it, if not I'll get help real quick, milady."

Gertie moves over to the chest and tries to budge it.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"We can descend below and my associates will come get your chest and being it down. IS that ameanble to you?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:"Okay. Let's see if I can move it, if not I'll get help real quick, milady."

Gertie moves over to the chest and tries to budge it.

GERTIE Cannot manage to budge the heavy chest more than a few inches. She manages not to make a racket, at least.

Elissa hovers nearby, nervously casting about at the smallest noises; creaking floorboards, wind at the window panes, soft sounds from deeper in the house.
She whispers,
"I'm going to need to bring a chest, then? I'd better re-pack it. I didn't realize I'd be gone so long.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:"We can descend below and my associates will come get your chest and being it down. IS that ameanble to you?"
''Yes."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Follow me, step carefully please."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:"Follow me, step carefully please."
''What, out the window?" Elissa stares in surprise.