POVERO Chapter Six

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Six

Post by steveflam »

"Thanks!" She enters and looks around cautiously, she is still on alert.

After he closes the door, she turns to him "Did anyone come looking for us today or this evening? It's very important I know and it will be worth your while."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom and Alfonse

"Ok then, I will stay with Elissa and make sure she will be ok. I just hope the bandits from the other night will not return I cannot fight them all alone. So please come back as soon as you find something, this place isn't safe for much time. We should actually think where we can go to hide tomorrow. We need alternatives. Anyway, I will wait here for you and Gertie to return then we will decide what to do and hopefuly we can find the others as well."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:"Thanks!" She enters and looks around cautiously, she is still on alert.

After he closes the door, she turns to him "Did anyone come looking for us today or this evening? It's very important I know and it will be worth your while."
THEO shrugs.
"No one came by."

By candlelight, Gertie can see only part of the foyer and common room; shadows cover the rest.
She hears men snoring and spies their dim forms laid out on benches and on the floor near the hearth. No one sits at the darkened bar.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Thanks Theo, your the best! I won't be long. I need to get a few things and I'll be going. Any food in the kitchen I can have I'll pay for it."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

VAN wrote:Tom and Alfonse

"Ok then, I will stay with Elissa and make sure she will be ok. I just hope the bandits from the other night will not return I cannot fight them all alone. So please come back as soon as you find something, this place isn't safe for much time. We should actually think where we can go to hide tomorrow. We need alternatives. Anyway, I will wait here for you and Gertie to return then we will decide what to do and hopefuly we can find the others as well."
Alfonse nods. "If there's trouble, use the passage in the basement and get out of here with Elissa," he says, "I'll return as quickly as I can."

With that, the mage departs to go speak with Aldron Folbre.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:"Thanks Theo, your the best! I won't be long. I need to get a few things and I'll be going. Any food in the kitchen I can have I'll pay for it."
"Sure, Miss Gertie. There is some chicken Branca cooked. Cheese and fruit, too. I was snacking."

GERTIE obtains the things she and her brother left behind.
She stops by the kitchen and takes a little bundle of food from Theo.

And then, back to the vineyard cabin while it is still night...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote:PARK
Lanterns flash in the direction of the dogs...
"Let's go!"

PARK

They run.

But where do they go?

VIEW CONTENT:
OOC

I am assuming Titus won't hang around if his companions are fleeing, but I can edit. You guys let me know your plan.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

TOM

TOM waits for GERTIE, keeping watch over the sleeping Elissa.

Gem pads through the shadow cabin, sniffing at the floor, at doors and the bottoms of windowsills.

Minutes go by with no sounds but the dog's footfalls and the wind in the shutters.

LATER

GERTIE arrives with food.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:

Alfonse nods. "If there's trouble, use the passage in the basement and get out of here with Elissa," he says, "I'll return as quickly as I can."

With that, the mage departs to go speak with Aldron Folbre.

ALFONSE ALONE

Alfonse knows the general direction of the Folbre estate, in the western zone.
By all accounts, it is too big to miss-- at least by day.

His solitary walk takes him through a neighborhood of small farms, pastures, vineyards, irrigation canals and lock-houses.

Unlike some his companions, Alfonse does have one advantage in finding his way. He can read the words on crossroads signs and roadside mileposts.
Still, he has to stop frequently and check landmarks and signs in order to avoid becoming lost by night.
(He cannot take the simplest route, walking south along Bay Road and turning west on Shore Street, without entering the dense part of the city where he's likely to encounter the patrols he fled earlier.)

He reaches the Folbre Estate in the predawn darkness.
A fieldstone wall, higher than he can reach without jumping, runs along the road and curves out of sight in either direction.
A wide, double door iron gate connects the road with the grounds.
It stands shut, but as Alfonse draws near, he sees a light glimmering through the bars. A little closer yet and he spies figure moving under an awning set inside and against the wall on the right hand side of the gate.
A voice rumbles a challenge.
Seconds later, lanterns flare. Two men with swords belted, one holding up a lantern, step into view.

They challenge Alfonse, but as soon as he says who he is and that he's here to see Master Folbre, their attitude turns friendly. Very friendly.
They open the gate and usher him inside.

Within ten minutes, Alfonse has been hustled up the path to Folbre House and into a candlelit parlor.
(The villa is an impressive structure similiar to Holbin House in dimensions and lineaments, at least from what little he sees of the exterior before being hurried inside).
One of armed men waits with Alfonse.
The swordsman makes no conversation, but smiles and nods often.

The parlor door opens.

Aldron Folbre strides in, dressed in doeskin breeches, boots, and a dark red doublet-- clothing more suitable as riding or hunting attire than sleepwear or party clothes.
He smiles as Alfonse.

"You came to report success, I hope."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:
steveflam wrote:"Thanks Theo, your the best! I won't be long. I need to get a few things and I'll be going. Any food in the kitchen I can have I'll pay for it."
"Sure, Miss Gertie. There is some chicken Branca cooked. Cheese and fruit, too. I was snacking."

GERTIE obtains the things she and her brother left behind.
She stops by the kitchen and takes a little bundle of food from Theo.

And then, back to the vineyard cabin while it is still night...
Gertie hands over a bag to Theo. "This is something for you and miss branca. I like you both, just keep an eye out for anything for me please.

I really appreciate what you have done for us so far, Miss Branca too." She kisses him on the cheek then smiles shyly and turns away, exitting the Inn.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:TOM

TOM waits for GERTIE, keeping watch over the sleeping Elissa.

Gem pads through the shadow cabin, sniffing at the floor, at doors and the bottoms of windowsills.

Minutes go by with no sounds but the dog's footfalls and the wind in the shutters.

LATER

GERTIE arrives with food.
"Thom, now that we're alone I want to talk to you about tonight. I'm younger than you are, but I'm not stupid, either.

Someone set us up. I feel really bad for miss Elissa. And I may nto have shown it to the others, but I am really

pissed off. Someone told on us or set us up, I am sure of it. I hope it wasn't mr Forbre,"

She looks around a minute.

"Where's Alfonse?"
She begins to look around, making sure they are indeed alone.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom and Gertie

"You are right I have thought the same thing. This was a clear set up, but maybe it wasn't Aldron, we have been talking about taking Elissa and the marriage many times at the inn and as walking perhaps so it was easy for someone eavesdropping and tip Hoblin's men. I'm more worries though because they knew the exact plan, where we will meet an that there should be a priest. These men were assassins, have you seen the dark blades? They wanted to stay hidden, surprise us, take Elissa and kill us. They wanted Elissa alive that's for sure so they were paid to get her. I'm pretty sure that we will encounter them again, that's why we need to find the others, find a place to hide and more important decide what to do with Elissa. We cannot just let her go out like this. At house Hoblin she will be protected by her family but this means no marriage and no pay for us. Maybe it is better if we can get Richard and ask Titus to marry them, we don't really need another priest to do this. Have you remembered to get me Fild's or Titus garment? This will help Gem locate them."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:
Adam wrote:

Stuff
"Not exactly," Alfonse says, "We extracted Miss Elisa from her home, but when we arrived at the Inn we found that our priest and someone dressed as Richard were, in fact, assassins. We barely escaped with our lives."

He looks Aldron over, intensely, trying to gauge his reaction. "I am afraid I must conclude that we have been betrayed by someone who knew the plan."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:
"Not exactly," Alfonse says, "We extracted Miss Elisa from her home, but when we arrived at the Inn we found that our priest and someone dressed as Richard were, in fact, assassins. We barely escaped with our lives."

He looks Aldron over, intensely, trying to gauge his reaction. "I am afraid I must conclude that we have been betrayed by someone who knew the plan."

FOLBRE HOUSE
ALFONSE

Aldron's eyes narrow. He hisses through his clenched teeth.

"Of course it was a double-cross! But you got your end of the job done, so thanks to you the plan still has some slim chance of success. We'd better get to Elissa right away. Where is she? First that, then I want all the details about the assassins and their actions."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse steeples his fingers against each other, looking at Folbre appraisingly. "There were several of them," he says, "They were waiting for us when we arrived. Six of them. One had Richard's family crest on a cloak. Another was dressed to look like a priest. They were wielding black blades."

He leans forward. "Which begs the question of what happened to Richard," he continues, "And how you think we're going to accomplish this wedding when we don't know where the groom is."