POVERO Chapter Ten

Online roleplaying at the Café
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: POVERO Chapter Ten

Post by alhoon »

Fild passes his sword and shield to Richard Savelle; the nobleman would be more useful in a fight than him at the time. Then, he uses his arquebus to support himself.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"He's fine," Alfonse grumbles, "Now could we have a bit of stealth, please?"

Gertie looks back from the arch, making eye contact with Alfonse.

She nods to him, and then slips out past the archway, ducking around the stonework and out of sight.

A long, silent minute passes.

Then Gertie returns as quietly as she had left.
She wades through the shallow water, coming over to Alfonse.
She whispers just loudly enough for the others nearby to hear,
''We've been spotted. Or our boat's light has, anyway. I heard the man running off to the left, then saw a glimmer of his lantern. The square around the water trough looks clear right now. If we hustle, I think maybe we can get out of this area before whoever it was raises an alarm or comes back with friends.''
She gestures to the archway.
''There was a grating fitted there, in metal brackets, but somebody had removed it. It's lying on the ground to the side of the arch.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild passes his sword and shield to Richard Savelle; the nobleman would be more useful in a fight than him at the time. Then, he uses his arquebus to support himself.

Richard takes the sword and shield without a word; he only nods to the gnome.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Then this is the rendezvous point Signor Savelle has heard. If they are waiting for us they are probably guarding the archway. I think our best chance is indeed ditch the boat and swim in a different direction."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:"Then this is the rendezvous point Signor Savelle has heard. If they are waiting for us they are probably guarding the archway. I think our best chance is indeed ditch the boat and swim in a different direction."
''I looked around outside and didn't see anybody standing close by, Thom. I don't think it's guarded--not right now. But that guy spotted our light, or heard us. Something. He ran off."
Gertie casts a nervous glance down the tunnel.
"Do you hear something down the way we came?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I think we'll have to trust Gertie," Alfonse says, "Let's move forward as quickly as we can, and hope we continue to outrun the pursuit."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

When Thom listens,
VIEW CONTENT:
he detects a faint noise from down the tunnel. It sounds like men wading, splashing along the canal. He's not able to tell how many or how close.
Adam wrote:"I think we'll have to trust Gertie," Alfonse says, "Let's move forward as quickly as we can, and hope we continue to outrun the pursuit."
Titus, the 'Builder', Damien, and Richard Savelle move out.

Gertie goes, too, but not before loading a coffer(from the gondola) into her pack and handing another small chest to Thom.

''Locked. Valuables inside, I bet.'' She winks at her brother and then moves after the others.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild uses his arquebus for support as he limps along with the others. "Can someone actually give me a bit of help here? If not, then I'll have to find a hole to crawl in and hide. I'm in no shape to run."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild uses his arquebus for support as he limps along with the others. "Can someone actually give me a bit of help here? If not, then I'll have to find a hole to crawl in and hide. I'm in no shape to run."
Sixt picks up the gnome and places him in his (nearly empty) pack.

VIEW CONTENT:

action dictated by player over phone

The party hurries across the plaza in the light of the moon and stars.

Thom and Fild see better at night, without a fire, than any of their human companions. Taking a covered alley out of the plaza, the adventurers and the rescued captive wind through the narrow streets and small courtyards of Fishtown. This suburb appears older and shabbier than the fashionable and prosperous merchants' homes and fancy shops they have seen earlier in Povero, and several of the bulging masonry walls and patchwork tile roofs look as if a hard shove would send them crashing into the street.
A cat yowls somewhere in the dark.
An oily, fishy smell haunts the night air, growing stronger in the most claustrophobic passages between houses, where the light breeze doesn't reach.

After several minutes, they hear the noise of patrols behind them, see the occasional flash of a lantern or torch. Muffled voices in the night.

That cat yowls again, closer now. The feline appears near Sixt and Fild, then turns right and darts down a dark lane.

Up ahead, the townscape opens up onto a smallish wharf side, all wooden piers and jetties. Nothing so impressive as the docks of the city proper. Boats bob in the water, moored at tall posts.

Off to the east, smaller boats lie stern up, dragged away from the lapping water along a narrow sandy beach.

And out on the bay, maybe a mile distant, a black hulk drifts in toward shore, white smoke rising in twisting plumes from his broken masts and tattered rigging. Parts of the ruined ship glow \ like embers in a fireplace.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

WHARF SIDE
Fild whispers to Alfonse and Richard Savelle:
"So... why don't we go to those watch patrols? They will be more than happy to see Lord Savelle. Especially if we warn them about the pirate ship returning to get Lord Savelle." he says pointing at the burned out ship.
"If you think the watch may be on the payroll of the wrong master, perhaps we could ... borrow one or two boats and go elsewhere."
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:WHARF SIDE
Fild whispers to Alfonse and Richard Savelle:
"So... why don't we go to those watch patrols? They will be more than happy to see Lord Savelle. Especially if we warn them about the pirate ship returning to get Lord Savelle." he says pointing at the burned out ship.
"If you think the watch may be on the payroll of the wrong master, perhaps we could ... borrow one or two boats and go elsewhere."
RICHARD Savelle says,
''Are we certain those were Watch patrols?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"We know where the watch headquarters is. If we make our way there, we can be done with this and let them know what we observed."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"We know where the watch headquarters is. If we make our way there, we can be done with this and let them know what we observed."

Following ALFONSE'S lead, the group heads across Fishtown toward Povero proper.

It's slow going at first, creeping through the dirty, narrow streets. The group must let Fild and Thom eyeball every street and alley to avoid hazards such as muck pits and deep potholes--not to mention the possible threat of armed ambushers and faction spies--- unless someone wants to risk lighting a torch or lantern.

After a weary, time-eating march with several switchbacks and much ducking into alleys to avoid the armed bands of strangers swarming across the western suburbs and ranging into the district of warehouses and waterfront for the city, the party at last reaches the junction of Shore Street and Bay Road in Povero's heart. Now if they turn north and stride on, they can make a beeline to the Watch HQ. The scouts find a covered alley (open at either end) on the west side of Bay Road where the group can hide and catch its collective breath before the final push to hoped-for safety.

The central city seems quieter than it had been on other nights, with the afterhours pubs and brothels showing darkened windows and closed doors. (The Builder whispers about this, should the others, less familiar with the pattern of life in the city, fail to notice).

Damien suggests a curfew may be in force.

The sneakier and more observant members of the group have just finished scouting outside the covered alley when Gertie pauses, holding her finger up to her lips as she turns to face the others, her face partly revealed by the moon and stars.

A bell rings nearby. Not loud, just a tinkling, tinny noise, small but seeming to grow. Wheels rattle on cobbles. A cart pulled by men in hoods comes into view, moving north along Shore Street. The four workers hauling the vehicle are headed more or less for the party's position, though with hoods raised it is hard to say if they have actually spotted the group.
As the cart rolls closer, the adventurers get a glimpse of human limbs hanging over the sides, pale in the moonlight.

Gertie risks a whisper to Thom, "Clean up after the fighting."
Then she draws back from the alley mouth. "Something's wrong..."

Sixt reaches for his sword, prompted by instinct.

The dead-carriers drop the handles of their cart, turning all at once and hustling across the street toward the alley mouth. The hoods of two fall back as they rush on. Yellow eyes glow in their gaunt, dirty faces.

One leaps ahead of the pack and lands on all fours in the alley mouth where Gertie had stood a moment before, its fingernails striking sparks from the cobbles.

Titus shoves forward,
"Stand behind me comrades!"

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ewancummins wrote:
Adam wrote:"We know where the watch headquarters is. If we make our way there, we can be done with this and let them know what we observed."

Following ALFONSE'S lead, the group heads across Fishtown toward Povero proper.

It's slow going at first, creeping through the dirty, narrow streets. The group must let Fild and Thom eyeball every street and alley to avoid hazards such as muck pits and deep potholes--not to mention the possible threat of armed ambushers and faction spies--- unless someone wants to risk lighting a torch or lantern.

After a weary, time-eating march with several switchbacks and much ducking into alleys to avoid the armed bands of strangers swarming across the western suburbs and ranging into the district of warehouses and waterfront for the city, the party at last reaches the junction of Shore Street and Bay Road in Povero's heart. Now if they turn north and stride on, they can make a beeline to the Watch HQ. The scouts find a covered alley (open at either end) on the west side of Bay Road where the group can hide and catch its collective breath before the final push to hoped-for safety.

The central city seems quieter than it had been on other nights, with the afterhours pubs and brothels showing darkened windows and closed doors. (The Builder whispers about this, should the others, less familiar with the pattern of life in the city, fail to notice).

Damien suggests a curfew may be in force.

The sneakier and more observant members of the group have just finished scouting outside the covered alley when Gertie pauses, holding her finger up to her lips as she turns to face the others, her face partly revealed by the moon and stars.

A bell rings nearby. Not loud, just a tinkling, tinny noise, small but seeming to grow. Wheels rattle on cobbles. A cart pulled by men in hoods comes into view, moving north along Shore Street. The four workers hauling the vehicle are headed more or less for the party's position, though with hoods raised it is hard to say if they have actually spotted the group.
As the cart rolls closer, the adventurers get a glimpse of human limbs hanging over the sides, pale in the moonlight.

Gertie risks a whisper to Thom, "Clean up after the fighting."
Then she draws back from the alley mouth. "Something's wrong..."

Sixt reaches for his sword, prompted by instinct.

The dead-carriers drop the handles of their cart, turning all at once and hustling across the street toward the alley mouth. The hoods of two fall back as they rush on. Yellow eyes glow in their gaunt, dirty faces.

One leaps ahead of the pack and lands on all fours in the alley mouth where Gertie had stood a moment before, its fingernails striking sparks from the cobbles.

Titus shoves forward,
"Stand behind me comrades!"

ALFONSE launches a sling bullet at one the feral cart-draggers.

The creature struck jerks its head back when the missile strikes it between the eyes. Then it opens its mouth wider and emits a hollow sound like a mockery of human laughter. It drops its head to stare straight at Alfonse. By the moonlight in the alley entrance, Alfonse can see the crater left by the bullet doesn't bleed.

Gertie runs to the far end of the alley.

Damien staggers backward. "'Uh-oh!"

The creatures come on, entering the alley.

The others move back, ready to defend themselves.

Titus pushes to meet the enemy, holding his holy symbol up instead of his mace.
"Speaker-in-Storms, may your thunders smite them! Let them flee before your power!"

The dead-carriers hold up their hands to their ears and reel about the alley as if a deafening blast has burst on them, yet none of the party hears any such noise.
The horrible semi-human things scuttle away, hissing and still holding their heads.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

He looks in appreciation at Titus and then gestures towards the watch headquarters. "Come on, let's go."