ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter 2

Post by ewancummins »

THE HOUSE

KAT, RAEN, SARA, THOM THE PRINTER, CHARLOTTE, LORNA, HORSNBY

alhoon wrote:Benn's House
Raen, having heard some commotion from the house but just witnessing a weird humanoid-like Jurgen rushed outside comes in the house, concerned. After things settled he turned to the others and asked: "What happened to Juergin? Is he cursed? The little ones seemed fine to me... peculiar, but fine. Yet, I see madam Charlotte has had some grievances with them in the past."
To Thom he says "Goodevening, I'm Raen. I wished I've met you under better circumstances". To Charlotte he says. "If I may ask, when and how did you meet Juergin?"
Charlotte says,
''I met Juergin on the isle of Gauntcliff, where my old boss, Master Sancerre, had moved after his daughter Evangeline was murdered."
She sniffles, cuddling her baby closer still.
"He seemed like a normal boy, but sad. Something about Gauntcliff changed him. It looked safe, pretty. But it isn't safe, or wasn't. Something evil slept there, and my husband and his friends woke that thing up when they went exploring. Or maybe Denys Sancerre got its attention when he built his new house? I'm not sure. But this thing, it was like a shadow-ghost. The little clowns served this night-thing. They called it Dodds. It took children. It sent them to steal my Jonas. Benn and his friends stopped it, but..."

She wipes her eyes with her left hand, still cradling Tilda.

"My husband nearly died. Our friend Everline went crazy after Dodds' geist attacked her in her dreams. She's still locked up in Saulbridge Aslyum, the Lady help her. She won't take visitors and she never writes back. And Juergin, well, something strange happened to him after the shipwreck that brought Lorna. The Mists came down and no one could escape Gauntcliff. I think the Mists touched him, cursed him. I think he did something horrible and he was marked for it, but..."

She glances at Thom,

'Thom, you can tell some more, yes? I mean, the parts you were there for. When Benn and Dorgio come home, I'm sure they will explain the stuff I don't understand."
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:THE HOUSE

KAT, RAEN, SARA, THOM THE PRINTER, CHALOTTE, LORNA, HORSNBY

alhoon wrote:Benn's House
Raen, having heard some commotion from the house but just witnessing a weird humanoid-like Jurgen rushed outside comes in the house, concerned. After things settled he turned to the others and asked: "What happened to Juergin? Is he cursed? The little ones seemed fine to me... peculiar, but fine. Yet, I see madam Charlotte has had some grievances with them in the past."
To Thom he says "Goodevening, I'm Raen. I wished I've met you under better circumstances". To Charlotte he says. "If I may ask, when and how did you meet Juergin?"
Charlotte says,
''I met Juergin on the isle of Gauntcliff, where my old boss, Master Sancerre, had moved after his daughter Evangeline was murdered."
She sniffles, cuddling her baby closer still.
"He seemed like a normal boy, but sad. Something about Gauntcliff changed him. It looked safe, pretty. But it isn't safe, or wasn't. Something evil slept there, and my husband and his friends woke that thing up when they went exploring. Or maybe Denys Sancerre got its attention when he built his new house? I'm not sure. But this thing, it was like a shadow-ghost. The little clowns served this night-thing. They called it Dodds. It took children. It sent them to steal my Jonas. Benn and his friends stopped it, but..."

She wipes her eyes with her left hand, still cradling Tilda.

"My husband nearly died. Our friend Everline went crazy after Dodds' geist attacked her in her dreams. She's still locked up in Saulbridge Aslyum, the Lady help her. She won't take visitors and she never writes back. And Juergin, well, something strange happened to him after the shipwreck that brought Lorna. The Mists came down and no one could escape Gauntcliff. I think the Mists touched him, cursed him. I think he did something horrible and he was marked for it, but..."

She glances at Thom,

'Thom, you can tell some more, yes? I mean, the parts you were there for. When Benn and Dorgio come home, I'm sure they will explain the stuff I don't understand."

Thom, dressed as well any noble in Pont, appears to be his early to mid 40's. Were it not for his fine clothes, Thom could easily blend into crowd and go unnoticed. There is a distinctive scar on the back of his otherwise bald head, perhaps from a burn or something similar. Charolette would know that Thom usually wears a wig when out in public but when around close friends or working the press himself he doesn't wear it. To not be wearing it now, is a bold move on Thom's part.

When everyone comes back in his brown eyes quickly glance over everyone, they linger slightly longer on Kat and Sara. He visibly tenses up and adjusts his posture when he sees the fellow with the bandanna covering the lower half of his face. The tension eases though when Charlotte calls the young man Juergin.

After the Incident

"Huh." Thom says.

"Ah, yes. Likewise. I Thom, a mild manner publisher and bookseller. Among other things." Thom says, the last bit seeming like an after thought.

Thom pours himself a glass of wine while Charlotte speaks.

"Gauntcliff... Yes.." He says between drinks. "A horrible mess that. Abandoned colony built over abandoned colony which was then built over by Sancerre's resort. No fault of the people, or person in this case. That island was cursed and possessed by something horrible."
Thom shakes his head and takes another drink of his wine.
"Gauntcliff a small island, not far from Ghastria, was supposedly cursed to begin with. Two attempts were made to colonize the island and both failed. The last attempt was the worst though, enough that most people didn't want to be reminded of it. Apparently there was some scandal involving a man named Dodds. Sadly I wasn't able to learn much more than that. Benn and Dorgio would have to fill you in."

He takes another drink of his wine. "Now, what is this about the alley way?"
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara cannot help her surprise, she looks at both Charlotte and Thom.

"So you have met this...Juergin before? He and his weird acolytes have tried to steal baby Jonas and still you have invited him at your house?"

She doesn't go on because she doesn't want to offend anyone. Softening a bit her tone she adds:

"Actually before he loses his bandana I would have said he was quite pleasant company. But he isn't human right? Do you think he will come back?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Sara cannot help her surprise, she looks at both Charlotte and Thom.

"So you have met this...Juergin before? He and his weird acolytes have tried to steal baby Jonas and still you have invited him at your house?"

She doesn't go on because she doesn't want to offend anyone. Softening a bit her tone she adds:

"Actually before he loses his bandana I would have said he was quite pleasant company. But he isn't human right? Do you think he will come back?"
Charlotte frowns.
"I did not invite him. He just showed up, and my husband was too kind to turn away an old acquaintance."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Would you mind terribly if I take a look at the cellar again madame?" Raen offers. "I'm sure everything will be in order there, just a damaged self, but better safe than sorry, right?"
"If I may ask, has Juergin harmed anyone? I really doubt that your husband would allow someone even remotely involved in the abduction of your son to set foot here. And what are those kind of creatures he brought with him? Are such creatures often involved in such mischief?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:"Would you mind terribly if I take a look at the cellar again madame?" Raen offers. "I'm sure everything will be in order there, just a damaged self, but better safe than sorry, right?"
"If I may ask, has Juergin harmed anyone? I really doubt that your husband would allow someone even remotely involved in the abduction of your son to set foot here. And what are those kind of creatures he brought with him? Are such creatures often involved in such mischief?"

Charlotte's frown deepens.
"If you want to know what my husband thinks, monsieur, please ask him. It's not my place to speak for him. But regardless of what anybody thinks, including you, I'll put a fireplace poker through the skull of the next one-eyed creeper that burgles my house."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Apologies for bringing it up madam. Do I have your permission to check the cellar again?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:"Apologies for bringing it up madam. Do I have your permission to check the cellar again?"

Charlotte's frown fades away. She nods.
"Yes, of course. But please take a light and be careful."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen nods and heads to investigate the cellar. "If anyone wants, she or he is welcome to join me. I intend to meticulously search the cellar."
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE PANTRY AND THE CELLAR

Raen, and anyone joining him, finds that the ground floor pantry joins the cellars by way of a trap door and descending stairs.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict reenters the house a moment later, holding a handkerchief delicately between two forefingers. "Monsieur," he says to the landlord. "The scent on this handkerchief. Was it one the girl wore regularly? Do you recognize it?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict reenters the house a moment later, holding a handkerchief delicately between two forefingers. "Monsieur," he says to the landlord. "The scent on this handkerchief. Was it one the girl wore regularly? Do you recognize it?"

THE BORADING HOUSE
KITCHEN

The landlord sniffs the cloth.
He says,
"I don't know if she wore it before, but it's the very same scent that I smelled up in her room, when I found her. I'm sure. And that kerchief, it looks like the one she used to cover her basket. I think. Not so sure of that. But I don't remember the basket she brought back from the River Market smelling strongly. Forgive me, I had too much to drink this evening, and I am having trouble remembering some things."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Hmm," Bennedict muses, turning towards the crime scene. He steps past the gendarmes, looking around the room for her nightstand or vanity, trying to find her perfume and/or any matching handkerchiefs.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"Hmm," Bennedict muses, turning towards the crime scene. He steps past the gendarmes, looking around the room for her nightstand or vanity, trying to find her perfume and/or any matching handkerchiefs.

Annabelle does not seem to have owned a proper nightstand, but BENN does find a crumpled paper box in one corner of the room. Inside, glass fragments of a small blue bottle. It smells strongly of musk, and may be the source of the odor that permeates the air and clings to the bloody bedclothes.
A partial paper label remains, but so torn and stained that he cannot read it or make out any clear symbols without careful cleaning, drying, and examination.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN'S SEARCH
does not reveal any cloth that matches the handkerchief.