Beyond Povero OOC and recruitment

Online roleplaying at the Café
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Beyond Povero OOC and recruitment

Post by alhoon »

Is Crabclaw our cue that the game is open? Or it's a test-run?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

GAME INFO FOR PLAYERS OLD AND NEW

ability scores bank

Modified ironman works well for me, but I get that some players prefer more control over the placement of their ability scores. No problem.
Here are some pre-rolled sets ability score sets, to be taken by anyone joining the game with a new character:

STR 12
DEX 11
CON 13
INT 8
WIS 8
CHR 10

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 11
INT 13
WIS 13
CHR 11

STR 6
DEX 6
CON 14
INT 7
WIS 17
CHR 12

STR 9
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 11
WIS 12
CHR 14

STR 15
DEX 8
CON 8
INT 8
WIS 12
CHR 15

STR 13
DEX 7
CON 10
INT 15
WIS 11
CHR 14

STR 9
DEX 10
CON 9
INT 9
WIS 14
CHR16

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 12
INT12
WIS 9
CHR 15

STR11
DEX13
CON 12
INT 11
WIS 13
CHR 9

# 10

STR 15
DEX14
CON 7
INT 12
WIS 15
CHR 9

Just pick one.
Then you can modify it as follows:
SWAP any two scores.
OR
ALTER one score to be an 11.
Not both. And you don't have to do either.
You may modify scores by choosing a race with modifiers, natch.
VIEW CONTENT:
(Yes, old players, if the ''raise a low score to 11'' option did little for your guy and you would have preferred to swap two scores instead, you can do so now provided it does no violence to continuity by radically altering your character. This means keeping the low score you replaced with an 11. But nearly all of you picked your classes based off high prime requisites, so I doubt any of you would want to go back and 'rebuild' in this way. I only mention it to be flexible and fair.)
I'll tell you which classes the set qualifies for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

TREASURE AND XP

Old players, don't forget to check your earned XP totals and your treasure shares.

New players start with 0 XP and standard starting wealth (I use a silver standard, but it's easy peasy to convert PHB price lists).

New guys won't be far behind the experience curve. Only a couple of guys reached 2nd level last game.

----------------------------------

REMINDER ABOUT HIT POINTS

Max at first level, random roll thereafter.

You can roll here if you didn't do so in the previous thread( old players whose guys leveled).

-------------------------

ALIGNMENTS:

No evil, please.
This campaign uses the nine-point alignment familiar to anyone who plays AD&D or 3E.

------------------

GNOME NOTES

Gnomes in this setting have somewhat different traits than those possessed by PHB gnomes. They are good at identifying potions and at tunnel-rat style fighting. No special facility fighting giants, goblins, or kobolds.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Is Crabclaw our cue that the game is open? Or it's a test-run?

It's open.

I reevaluated after considering the pace of the other game and frequency of player posts.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

roster

As of now, slots reserved for

ALHOON

VAN

KINTIRE

Preference will be given to players continuing with PCs from the end of the POVERO adventure.

For now, I have one additional slot for a new player, not from the old game (Kintire's already been counted).

We will end up with between five and seven PCs.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OK, it will take me a bit to answer there as I try to re-enter Fild's shoes.

Where do we stand on the Arquebus? I have forgot. :(
Does Fild has one now after he was released? Or the money weren't enough* \ he didn't manage to claim it since he was for all intents and purposes... a fugitive? (He didn't swear the oath of secrecy)
Where do we stand on buying gnome-sized armor before he got on the ship?

* I have 1200 gp in gems written as money somehow.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I don't have an issue with him trading gems/jewelry from his share for a new boomstick before leaving Povero.
Ditto studded leather.

To actually divide your shares correctly and evenly, you guys will need to do some trading/selling in town. We do not need to roleplay all the minutiae. But a shopping trip and some CHR checks or NWP checks might net you a better deal, some helpful info, etc.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Oh, and I'm going to try a new rule.

XP for treasure found or won in active adventuring, in adventure locations.

1 silver florin of value (PHB gold pieces are equivalent to silver coins in my setting, don't forget)
is worth 1 XP.

What's an adventure location? A dungeon. The wilderness where monsters live.

What about town and countryside stuff? Sometimes. Haunted houses? Sure. Sewers infested by monsters, cultists, and bands of thieves? Sure.
Farmhouse? Naw. The pub down the block? Naw. Rich guy's house? Only if he's turned his cellars into a dungeon, or something whacky like that.

Most of the time it will be pretty obvious what counts as an adventure location. I will determine this as I see fit.

Legends of the Flame Princess has some guidelines I'm adopting:
The following may gain the characters wealth, but they do not count for XP purposes:
Coins looted from bodies outside of adventure locations
Rewards
Selling equipment stripped from foes
Selling magical items that have been used by a PC or retainer
Tax income
Theft of wealth from mundane merchants, rulers, and citizens
Trade, commerce, and other business activity (including selling of mundane items stripped from foes)
Any treasure you guys burgle from a dungeon, dig up from a monster-infested island, or win in battle against bandits of the wilderness would count as treasure won on an adventure.

What else?

PCs gain no XP for killing/defeating other PCs, nor for stealing from them.

relevant to my thinking, this dude's blog
http://dmdavid.com/tag/the-fun-and-real ... -for-gold/

http://dmdavid.com/tag/dungeons-dragons ... y-remains/

http://dmdavid.com/tag/why-dd-character ... -spend-it/
VIEW CONTENT:
I disagree about nobody wanting strongholds and armies. But he may be right that a lot of guys didn't play that way.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Note--Alhoon, check your notes and emails. We are using a silver piece standard. I just want to make sure you don't massively inflate your guy's actual wealth.

I'm pretty sure you should have 1200 silver deniers worth of a share, once the gems and jewels are sold or traded.
That is equivalent to 1200 PHB gold pieces, using PHB price lists as a guide. A very nice haul, but the replacement arquebus takes out a good chunk of it.
If your guy actually had 1200 gold florins in-game, in this setting, he'd have the equivalent of 12000 PHB GP! :shock:

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Reminder to all about common/default money system in this setting:

Golden florin= equivalent to 2 PHB platinum pieces or 10 PHB gold pieces in buying power
Silver denier= equivalent to 1 PHB gold piece in buying power
Brass or Bronze follaro = equivalent to 1 PHB silver piece in buying power
Bits, farthings, pinches, drabs, groats, tokens= roughly like PHB copper pieces-- variable local currency and small change

What does this mean in play? It means a player can carry a small purse to go shopping instead of a big bucket of coins. A small coffer packed with jewels may be worth what a large treasure chest in another setting would be worth.
Good for player characters? Yep.
Mules are still very handy for bulky treasures and gear, but you don't need to strip mine ever bit of dull copper from a dungeon. Unless you want to.
VIEW CONTENT:
Mules are good for packing out KOed and badly injured comrades, too. :azalin:

But it's also good for those pesky NPC thieves who prey on adventurers, looking to burgle their rooms or pick their pockets. An unencumbered thief is harder to catch than a guy dragging a backpack spilling coins all over the street.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

You get:
1291.25 silver pence each.
Again, prices in the AD&D PHB 2E reflect a gold standard, so don't forget to adjust.

Outside Povero, lacking Savelle help and local contacts, you may convert gems and jewlery straight to coins of whatever city or kingdom to go to next at 20% surcharge, tax, etc. If we did this in a really detailed way, you'd need to sell some jewelry or stones to make the shares even. If you claim a piece of jewelry or a stone after the appraisal, post that claim here. First come, first serve. Subtract its value from your share.

A merchant who knows the value of a gemstone may accept it as he would a stack of trusted coins. The group could haggle, make purchases together, etc. To keep it simple, you can trade in part of your share for newly purchased gear, no problem.
Run any unusual items by me first.
A silver pence of Povero is the same value as a generic denier.

Alhoon- your guy already purchased a short sword, it seems. Check the sheet.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Regarding costs of changing forms of wealth, selling and appraising, etc.:

If players like, I can make it really simple this time and just round all your shares down to 1200 instead of subtracting (a somewhat larger amount to make) the 1/5th cut that represents taxes, surcharge, moneychangers fees, etc.

But this presupposes actually entering Karse-port and selling off/ trading jewelry and stones for armor, weapons, mounts, hirelings, and so on--with coins and some gems or jewels as leftover wealth.
If you all insist on converting the hoard to nothing but coinage, the full 1/5th cut applies.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote:Note--Alhoon, check your notes and emails. We are using a silver piece standard. I just want to make sure you don't massively inflate your guy's actual wealth.

I'm pretty sure you should have 1200 silver deniers worth of a share, once the gems and jewels are sold or traded.
That is equivalent to 1200 PHB gold pieces, using PHB price lists as a guide. A very nice haul, but the replacement arquebus takes out a good chunk of it.
If your guy actually had 1200 gold florins in-game, in this setting, he'd have the equivalent of 12000 PHB GP! :shock:

Well, when I said gp (And I write gp) it is the silver deniers for my reference. :)
How much for the arquebus in sd (silver deniers)?
Is there enough money left to buy a second, heavier armor for non-ship combat?

Yeap, replaced armor, shield and sword. Minus other expenses, I rounded it to 1200 sd.

Now after that: trading for an Arquebus, charisma check to give gems: [dice]0[/dice] (Meh, failure, I assume that means he has to pay 20% more cause it's not in money but gems?)

Then, if enough money \ time is left looking for a better armor (along with the studded leather) before the ship leaves.
Fild is interested in keeping ~100 sd in coins, the rest in gems.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote:Note--Alhoon, check your notes and emails. We are using a silver piece standard. I just want to make sure you don't massively inflate your guy's actual wealth.

Well, when I said gp (And I write gp) it is the silver deniers for my reference. :)
How much for the arquebus in sd (silver deniers)?
Is there enough money left to buy a second, heavier armor for non-ship combat?

Yeap, replaced armor, shield and sword. Minus other expenses, I rounded it to 1200 sd.

Now after that: trading for an Arquebus, charisma check to give gems: [dice]231775:0[/dice] (Meh, failure, I assume that means he has to pay 20% more cause it's not in money but gems?)

Then, if enough money \ time is left looking for a better armor (along with the studded leather) before the ship leaves.
Fild is interested in keeping ~100 sd in coins, the rest in gems.

Rounding down as you did is fine. To be fair, that's "untaxed" money. The cost of the sword and armor, and keep any change.

You guys did seize some money, after all. It's not just jewely and stones.

Take your remaining share, 1200.

Now remove 20%.

This covers all fees, taxes, assessments, moneychanger charges, duties and what not. You pay this in Karseport.

So minus 240.

1200-240

=

- 500 for arquebus (including bandoleer, shooting stick, etc)

=

That's still plenty for better armor and smokepowder, with lots of change left over.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

How much is "lot" of smokepowder? I need a gunpowder horn with ~10-15 shots worth of gunpowder.
You said you have increased the prices of armor. I.e. buying chain mail wouldn't cost a few silver dieniers if I recall correctly.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:How much is "lot" of smokepowder? I need a gunpowder horn with ~10-15 shots worth of gunpowder.
You said you have increased the prices of armor. I.e. buying chain mail wouldn't cost a few silver dieniers if I recall correctly.
Did I? Use PHB prices, g.p. converted to silver deniers.

Don't worry about increased armor costs.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.