Signing in problems

Post questions and suggestions here
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Signing in problems

Post by HuManBing »

I'm posting this from my laptop.

I deleted all cookies on my desktop (a separate computer) and then tried to log in to FoS. I may have gotten the password wrong.

After one (1) try, I was told I had exceeded the maximum allowable attempts, and would now have to type in an image code to make sure I was a real person.

Only one problem. The site didn't display an image code. There's a field to enter it in, but no image displayed. This is likely to make it much harder to succeed than even the Fraternity members intended.

Screenshot below (warning: very wide because my desktop is a widescreen computer).

Also, I should apologize to Rafael for joking around in his thread. Now I'm getting the short end of the temperamental forum software. :/
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Signing in problems

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I think this happened once before. I'll look into ASAP.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OK, I found the problem. I don't have a real solution, but I do have a workaround.

The issue is that our default style has a bug. It doesn't handle the new phpbb3 "captcha" system well. It still uses the phpbb2 syntax, and that doesn't work.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to fix it. I'll ask on the pbpbb forums and maybe try to find the style's author for help.

But in the meantime, the only way I see to get rid of the confirmation code pormpt once it appears is to reset your password via the "forgot password" link.
That will send you a link to activate the new password, and when you try to log in, the "confirmation code" prompt will be gone. Then you can put your password back to whatever you like via the UCP.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but it serves you right for mocking Rafael. No, seriously, sorry for the inconvenience, and I'll look into a real solution when I have time.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Sorry for the inconvenience, but it serves you right for mocking Rafael.
HMB's sadface generator wrote:Image
Thanks for looking into this, too! With all the work that the forum gives you, I'm surprised you don't draw a stipend for it. We all owe you a debt of thanks!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Just a note to mention: I am still unable to access from my desktop because of the captcha issue.

I mention this purely because I can still access this from my laptop, which had my sign-in information stored (on the FoS side of the equation, not in my browser). I was worried that if people see me posting, they might think the problem has been solved and move on.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Did you try the password reset workaround?
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I do not know my current password, so I can't reset it using the User Control Panel.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

No, reset it using the "forgot password" link on the log in page.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Ah, okay - I'd forgotten about that option!

I did that and it's fine now. Thanks!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

no problem. sorry again for the inconvenience. I'll see about fixing the skin. maybe I'll just switch the default skin to a more robust one.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OK, problem solved, I hope. Switched the default/anonymous user skin to hermes gray, a more robust skin. You can still use Clanz Darkness if you like once logged in, but anyone not logged in will see hermes gray, which DOES display the recaptcha code.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Yepp! Just got your email, and here I am!

Thank you very much! :)
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Friend of mine reports registration is now broken as well. :?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rafael wrote:Friend of mine reports registration is now broken as well. :?
Oh dear, yes I see the issue. Will try to fix it ASAP. :( thanks for reporting it!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OK, should be fixed now. (I was able to create a dummy account).

When switched the default skin of the forum to fix the missing captcha issue, I forgot about the registration question mod I'd applied to the old default skin. Had to apply that mod to the new default skin, and it seems to be working. Tell your friend he or she may need to refresh the registration page to get it to work.