Question about rule 1 and "mature themes"

Post questions and suggestions here
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Question about rule 1 and "mature themes"

Post by Hazgarn »

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a committed gutter brain, but I do also feel that sexual themes have valid place in the stories that many of our groups are telling collectively. What is the policy for maturely discussing sexual themes in the context of the game on this forum? Is there an appropriate way/place where it can be done (threads with heavy warnings, and keeping it out of other topics for example), or does it all basically fall under the "obscenity" rule?

(Raised by, but otherwise unrelated to the derail in the recent Toben thread, because I'm not even going to try to argue that my comments there were anywhere in the neighborhood of "mature discussion".)
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Question about rule 1 and "mature themes"

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

mature topics can be discussed in a mature fashion. think about how the published ravenloft material deals with such things. Graphic description is unnecessary. You can hint at stuff and we'll get the drift. When in doubt, warnings can't hurt. And when in real doubt, feel free to ask a moderator privately before posting.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

There was a "grandmother rule" which is useful under these situations. Basically "if you can imagine your grandmother doing it and not freak out then it's okay". :D
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

That's an interesting spin on the grandmother rule, to be sure. :)

Our version is simply: "don't use a word you would not use in front of your grandmother".
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Our version is simply: "don't use a word you would not use in front of your grandmother".
Understanding the spirit of the rule, I just have to say the wording is dangerously subjective... :wink:
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hazgarn wrote:Understanding the spirit of the rule, I just have to say the wording is dangerously subjective... :wink:
Yeah, you don't know my grandma... ;)

But seriously, the rule is supposed to be subjective, because offense is a subjective thing. Honestly, it's not a big deal, really. I can count the number of times we've had to warn someone or edit a post for the grandma rule since I came on board 3 years ago on one hand.

Just use your best judgment.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Our version is simply: "don't use a word you would not use in front of your grandmother".
What, "Communists"? :D
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

HuManBing wrote:
What, "Communists"? :D
And "Blog," of course.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Grandpa Simpson: "Dear advertisers, I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television. We are not all vibrant, fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days when entertainment was bland and inoffensive. The following is a list of words I never want to hear on television again. Number one: bra. Number two: horny. Number three: family jewels..."