The Fall of House Pancrazio Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

on the road

Tristan leads his horse down the road towards Pancrazio Manor. As he walks along at a relaxed gait, he keeps his eyes open for trouble.

We're likely clear here, but one never knows. Roads aren't safe in this part of the country. We might encounter wolves, or bandits, or worse- tax collectors.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Griselda
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Griselda »

Agna stops her search of the ash-bucket (again!) at the sound of heavy, rapidly approaching footsteps. Wouldn't do to be caught at such things, after all. She quickly drops the cover back over the ash-bucket and scrambles to her feet, giving her best impression of checking the level of the flour barrel, while gritting her teeth in an agony of impatience. Still, experience has taught her well -- if nothing else, sometimes the longer she has to put off a look through the ash-bucket, the better the tidbits found. Ezra, I can't wait to see what's in there. For all the interruptions I keep enduring, it must be something very wonderful.. or very horrible.

The footsteps enter the kitchen, and Agna realizes she is shivering. She doesn't recognize the walk, and given what happened earlier, she feels no urgency to alert whoever is out there to her presence. If someone wants her, they can call for her, although she admits she has no idea what she'll do if the person turns out to be something like Luisa. She hears Roderigo's voice and feels a brief surge of relief. Good, nothing's happened to him, but where has he been so early? Harold speaks up, and her attention is sharply focused. Wolves? What is the man talking about? Does he know nothing about last night?

The thunderous knocks are audible unto the back wall of the larder. Who knocks like that at this hour? Agna pokes her head out, but there is no sign of either the master or tutor, except a rather copious amount of dirt-caked bootprints and clods trailing across the kitchen floor. An unfamiliar, rough voice is talking loudly from the vestibule. Agna grabs a broom (a maid going about her duties is hardly suspicious...), and with quiet speed makes her way down the passage, stepping inside the antechamber in front of Emilio's door. (1) She moves her cap away from her ears to hear better.

Agna stands stock-still, barely breathing. She cannot risk putting her head out to see what's happening, but the events sound descriptive enough. Required attendance, indeed. His Lordship must want a show that Pancrazio is called to dance attendance upon him. And when that show is done, where will we be? Roderigo's panicked reply echoes the sentiment.

She is about to go back to the kitchen, but realizes the men aren't leaving the vestibule. She leans forward slightly. Someone's whispering.... (2) Agna swallows hard and her heart quickens as Harold discloses what Lothario has offered, and his own suggestion as to how to resolve the matter. And where would that leave us, Master Harold? I doubt Pancrazio counts us below stairs as valuable. If the family leaves, we may be the ones left to greet His Lordship's men when they take over the property. Her master's rousing declaration doesn't inspire her confidence either, though.

After an interminable wait, she hears the men moving off into other parts of the house. Agna returns to the kitchen to prepare the bread for the oven, sweep up the not-inconsiderable amount of dirt and brood on the latest round of bad news.

(1) Move Silently check -- 1d20+7-2 = 24
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2094608

(2) Listen, taking 10 as always, up until Harold's whispered part of the conversation.

Listen check -- 1d20+7-2 = 23
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2094593/
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Roderigo listens to Harold, but the look on the mans face does not seem swayed by the tutors words.

"See to my cousin Harold, we shall talk again of this matter later. It appears I have a dinner party to prepare for." As Roderigo says this last part a look of fear crosses his eyes.

From the staircase to the second floor, a raven haired beauty begins to descend the steps. It is Magenta. The dress she is wearing is quite exotic, it is a dark blue and in places has the color of a old bruise. It is cut low at the chest, revealing much of the woman's cleavage. Around her throat she has a strand of expensive pearls and wears long white gloves that reach to her biceps where a gold armlet rests. The outfit could easily fetch hundreds of gold pieces.

"Father? I thought I heard the voices of men. Do we have guests?" Her eyes drift to Harold.

"Ah I see Miss Phebe's guardian has returned. Does he not look delicious father?"

Roderigo glances at his daughter and for a moment appears ill. He moves quickly out of the main hall towards the den. Magenta glides down the steps gracefully-the image of nobility. She raises her gloved hand to harold's cheek.

"I heard the sow moaning her usual wordless drivel some moments before. Im sure she is awake by now. When you have decided to trade damaged goods for the real thing let me know. I could use the experience of a learned man." She caresses Harold's cheek with her gloved hand. "Have a wonderful afternoon." Magenta strides past Harold and walks out the front door calling for Emilio.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

on the road.....

Tristan leads his horse in the direction of the manor. He turns to his companions and says-

''Well, it's only a little farther down the road and we'll be back at the manor.'''

Why does it seem as if we are taking such a long, long time to retrace our steps?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

It is perhaps fortunate that Magenta has turned her back on Harold before the shock of her behaviour has worn off, and a look of terrible disgust passes over his face. On his shoulder, Mouser flaps her wings once, twice, and opens her beak to hiss -- but Harold swiftly raises a hand and puts it on her round skull, cautioning her to silence.

Without further ado, the scholar sets off up the stairs and to Phoebe's room, where he knocks on the door. "Miss Phoebe?" he calls out gently. "It's Harold. If you are willing to see me, will you please open the door?"
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

on the road ...........

Tahl nods at the words of Tristan as he is thinking the exact same thing on the way back to the manor .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

ON THE ROAD

The long and winding road back to Pancrazio manor finally comes to an end as the sight of the family estate appears before you. It is mid afternoon. Freshly turned up earth, and scattered droppings near the gates from many horses alerts you all that the manor has had recent visitors. The tracks lead off to the west, towards the Dilsnya lands.

Emilio is manning a two horse carriage heading away from the manor. The aged Majordomo slows the carriage as he nears the approaching group.

"Hello there master Goran, Sir Julian,"
turning to address Goran directly Emilio continues in a hushed tone, "I'm taking your sister to Von Ziyden to meet with Lothario Enzo. I just found out that was my destination mere moments ago. Alert your father."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

As Miss Phebe opens the door to her room, Harold is assaulted with the foul, soiled odor of the teddy bear she clutches in her arms. She is dressed in a simple black dress, her dark brown hair was strewn down her shoulders in thick unwashed tangles.

"Mvvsher!" she says in her thick mono toned voice. Her face flushed with glee as she looked at Harold's beloved owl. (1)

Miss Phebe turns and lets Harold into the room. (2)

(1) sense motive
(2) will save DC 13
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Good morning, miss Phebe," Harold says as he starts to enter the room. "And how are you today? Would you perhaps like me to wash your hair this morning? It is rather nice to have clean hair, you know."

For her part, Mouser hoots dolefully and takes off from Harold's shoulder to perch on top of a wardrobe. From this vantage point, she gasts her black-eyed gaze upon the whole room.

(OOC: Sense Motive: 16. Will save: 5. Drat.)
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Goran dismounts the shabby steed for which he has no doubt been burdening these many morning hours. "Sorry girl", he empathises softly with the horse while running his hand down her neck for a few pats.

Addressing the aging butler, Goran retorts in an equally hushed tone, "I suppose it's too much to hope that the strumpet who calls herself my father's first-born gave you a reason for her taking audience with the sniveling creep of Vor Ziyden."

The young woodsman takes his pack, leather jacket, and longsword scabbards off and sets them next to the front stairs. "AH," a large sigh of relief, "much less cumbersome."

Goran sits briefly on the stairs to stretch his muscles. His left leg then his right. "Perhaps there is time for a stop in the kitchen before father sends us down that hole." He exclaims to no one in particular, remaining seated, elbows on his knees.
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
Irving the Meek
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Irving the Meek »

Tuke slides down off the back of Tristan's horse like a sack of meal. He puffs on his pipe one last time, gently sighs a blue smoke ring into the air, and taps out the spent tobacco on his boot. "Well, I ought to see if my sweet mistress needs some amusement this morning. Should I take any messages to her, gentles?"
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

After Goran rests a moment he gathers his gear and turns to Tuke, "I think I could use a swallow or two of wine, I'll go with you to see Agna, there must be something left in the cupboards we can treat ourselves to."

Goran heads for the front door, "Uh...LittleMan, you mind opening that door for me." He questions with a cradle full of his belongings.
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

After getting his horse settled in the stable Tahl checks the security of the grounds, then checks his gear for what ever next task the Lord of the House has for them .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Griselda
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Griselda »

In the throes of finishing bread, Agna suddenly hears Magenta's voice in the front hall, and her heart skitters nervously. Unconsciously she touches the locket. Oh, no, not again. Ezra, dear goddess, haven't we done this enough today?

What reaches her ears she can scarcely believe, and her jaw drops -- did Magenta just offer seduction to Harold?! In front of... her father?! Agna shakes her head in utter disbelief. Was Harold practice for the man Magenta was talking of earlier, the one she had Agna select the dress for? Harold seemed like a good man, too dignified for such flirtations. For a horrifying moment, her overactive imagination conjures the spectre of Magenta making the same sort of vile suggestion to Emilio, and the thought makes her dizzy. As before during Magenta's ...lecture, the overwhelming instinct of Stop this! This is wrong! fills her.

Agna throws open the windows and back door, trying to encourage some fresh air to circulate in the kitchen. Beyond mitigating the stifling heat from the oven, she wants birdsong to filter in, to drive away the gutter-talk that Magenta has been spreading. Any attempt to sing is promptly muddled with a tired brain that can't remember the words and a lot of whirling thoughts, which doesn't help her mood. She desperately wishes the men were back, wanting to hear familiar, friendly voices and talk to someone about anything.
Irving the Meek
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Irving the Meek »

"Of course". Tuke swings the door wide, pushing with both hands. He stretches as he enters the house. "Maybe a bite in the cupboards sounds nice. All things told, we might have to fend for ourselves. I remember some apples and cheese being stashed away somewhere..."

As Tuke walks to the kitchen, he sees Agna standing by the window, silhouetted by the morning light. Oh, my dear child. If I was ten years younger, and you were two feet shorter... He then notices the tension corded in her shoulders and spine. "Agna? What is it?"