Jagged Shoals Log (comments)

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jagged Shoals Log (comments)

Post by Tykus »

At long last, I can finally put a short story. PLEASE, I need as much constructive criticism as you can give me. And I'll answer as many questions as I get.
Hindsight is, after all, caused by a lack of foresight.

Death rates exceeded 100% in some towns.

Charles V spent most of his reign aging.

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Good story. Like the way it's going. Funny stuff, too. Took me a while to place Kata as Katarina, Never heard that contraction. Gotta ask. Is this an established realm or one you've created?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

The hula. Shark's teeth. Polynesian, maybe Hawai'ian in origin? And yes, Hawai'i is spelled right.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Manofevil wrote:Good story. Like the way it's going. Funny stuff, too. Took me a while to place Kata as Katarina, Never heard that contraction. Gotta ask. Is this an established realm or one you've created?
One of my own. It's the culmination of some of the questions I've asked here recently, questions and ideas I've posted over the years on the WOTC board, and a "dumping ground" for RL ideas I've had since 2nd ed. but were never really fully formed enough to post on either board. And I'll admit: Doing the story log-style (like HPM) allows me to get into the story easier (I have trouble writing 3rd person as I tend to use a lot past tenses with it).

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:The hula. Shark's teeth. Polynesian, maybe Hawai'ian in origin? And yes, Hawai'i is spelled right.
Got it all in one. A Polynesian domain with aquatic dinosaurs: How's that for a twist? I took the advice (it was either yours or Manoevil's, I think) about multiple cultures in Polynesia and decided to run with it. I figured RL Hawai'i was a good place to start. I have plans for Samoa, New Zealand Maori, a take on "English" colonization, and Rapa Nui (which is next on my list). And despite the timing of certain recent posts in the General Forum, many of the ideas for this domain were already set before the topic came up (the "ordinary words not in RL" topic).

I'd also like to point out that I'm going for high-level/low epic (as if what Kamar did wasn't enough of a clue), so I'm probably going to play up the environment more. I've already stripped them of most of their items (which I would think would scare just about anybody) compounded by the fact that they don't have the resources or the time to manufacture more.

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Nice work. I like the play on the familiar; is this leading up to the disappointment and frustration the DPs just seem to love inflicting on their victims?

Just one question: is Gabriel a multiclass or gestalt character? I'm curious.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:Nice work. I like the play on the familiar; is this leading up to the disappointment and frustration the DPs just seem to love inflicting on their victims?
Eventually. I've got several trials planned but the main horror that I have planned won't reach fruition for at least a year in-story. My next entry will give a hint to what's at stake.
High Priest Mikhal wrote:Just one question: is Gabriel a multiclass or gestalt character? I'm curious.
Multiclass. Gabriel can cast some higher level spells but he's nowhere near the rest of the group's spellcasting power. I've never been a fan of the gestalt characters. Too much potential for abuse in my campaigns (which happens enough without gestalt characters) :roll:

Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

OK, I know you're out there. :D More of you are viewing the comments than the fan-fiction. Come on, take the plunge, read it. You know you want to. :twisted:

If you've got suggestions, I'm definitely open to them. Criticisms? Go for it, this is my first attempt at long-term fanfic (for RL, at least) and anything helps.

Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

I would just like to say, for the record: After having seen "Journey to the Center of the Earth" this weekend, I did NOT lift the saber-tooth salmon from that source as the entries were written befor e the movie even came out. I came across them while watching a nature DVD on prehistoric sea monsters.

Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Finally, I'm back. Just started a new job and I have a lot to prove (not to mention, I'm having writer's block with this part of the story). As a result, the Jagged Shoals story is going to have to take a backseat while I work on my new job, my campaign, and a few other short stories that I've been inspired with. I do have one more entry to post but I havn't quite completed it. Give me a few days.

Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Writer's block is going away (but not gone). I'm finding the balance between work and home, so I should be able to get more entries soon. This latest one is just a teaser as it will represent a big jump in the timeline (to match my time away from the story).