An idea: The return of the carnival

Discussing all things Ravenloft
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

An idea: The return of the carnival

Post by brilliantlight »

The idea is that the Carnival 'l Morai did not disappear just because the freaks left. There was extensive rioting for four days after they left. On the fifth day dozens of rioters were changed into freaks and Marie was raised from the dead by the Dark Powers the moment the first rioter was changed into a freak. About 20 years later Isolde finds out how to destroy the carnival once and for all. She gets the troopers together and tells them this. She admits it's risky but if she succeeds no more people in 'l Morai would be turned into freaks and later killed. She understands anyone who leaves the carnival to try their luck in the domains. The vast majority go including Hemos. He is shocked to see Marie who is bitter about his killing her. The possible dark lords I can see are: Marie juggling mistriss of the carnival, the entire council and Juron. The PCs are troopers who break the curse once and for all. As troopers all PCs have been effected by the twisting.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

[Unless you're looking to run a play-by-post game on this topic, the Cafe de Nuit's not the right forum for this. I've moved it to the General Forum.]

A fine idea, albeit gutwrenching for Hermos. But hey, that's Ravenloft for you. Even killing your best friend before she turns evil is too happy of an ending sometimes. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:[Unless you're looking to run a play-by-post game on this topic, the Cafe de Nuit's not the right forum for this. I've moved it to the General Forum.]

A fine idea, albeit gutwrenching for Hermos. But hey, that's Ravenloft for you. Even killing your best friend before she turns evil is too happy of an ending sometimes. :)
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing someone run it.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I wouldn't mind seeing a JOURNAL. I love that book.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

K, I have read both the novel and the accessory, but that was ages ago. Can someone remind me please what the connection is between the Carnival in "Carnival of Fear" and the one described in "Carnival"?
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

According to canon, the performers who fled the destruction of l'Morai's carnival wandered Ravenloft for a while, sticking together for protection against the Land's hazard and others' prejudices. They encountered Isolde later on, and she decided that they deserved her protection as well.

Not sure I'd want to revive the Puppet Show in its original location, as it would spoil the novel's original epilogue. (I rather like its implication that the "good citizens" of l'Morai have trained themselves to be so intolerant, over the years, that without any freaks to demonize, they now despise each other over things as trivial as eye or hair color.) But perhaps a resurrected Marie's Carnival could be traveling Ravenloft as well, only it visits and entertains only the nastier communities and subcultures? Even Talons or goblyns probably appreciate a laugh once in a while...
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:A fine idea, albeit gutwrenching for Hermos. But hey, that's Ravenloft for you. Even killing your best friend before she turns evil is too happy of an ending sometimes. :)
Would Marie necessarily even know that Hermos had killed her? She is blind, so would've been a bit unclear as to what was going on around her at the time, and IIRC Hermos snapped her neck from behind without any warning. Perhaps she doesn't realize that it was her trusted friend who did it, and assumes she was struck down by one of the city soldiers who'd attacked the Puppet Show.

If so, Hermos might find himself having to maintain a pretense that she's right about that, while constantly fearing Marie will remember the truth ... or that she does remember, and is only toying with him. Either way, it'd be horrible for the big guy, moreso than if she simply accused him to his face.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:A fine idea, albeit gutwrenching for Hermos. But hey, that's Ravenloft for you. Even killing your best friend before she turns evil is too happy of an ending sometimes. :)
Would Marie necessarily even know that Hermos had killed her? She is blind, so would've been a bit unclear as to what was going on around her at the time, and IIRC Hermos snapped her neck from behind without any warning. Perhaps she doesn't realize that it was her trusted friend who did it, and assumes she was struck down by one of the city soldiers who'd attacked the Puppet Show.

If so, Hermos might find himself having to maintain a pretense that she's right about that, while constantly fearing Marie will remember the truth ... or that she does remember, and is only toying with him. Either way, it'd be horrible for the big guy, moreso than if she simply accused him to his face.
You have a point there, I didn't think of that.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:According to canon, the performers who fled the destruction of l'Morai's carnival wandered Ravenloft for a while, sticking together for protection against the Land's hazard and others' prejudices. They encountered Isolde later on, and she decided that they deserved her protection as well.

Not sure I'd want to revive the Puppet Show in its original location, as it would spoil the novel's original epilogue. (I rather like its implication that the "good citizens" of l'Morai have trained themselves to be so intolerant, over the years, that without any freaks to demonize, they now despise each other over things as trivial as eye or hair color.) But perhaps a resurrected Marie's Carnival could be traveling Ravenloft as well, only it visits and entertains only the nastier communities and subcultures? Even Talons or goblyns probably appreciate a laugh once in a while...
I read the epilouge. It sounds more like a kid's fight than anything else. Also it is hard to see how they would make more freaks. Unlike Isolde's it doesn't happen spontaniously but the result of government action. How would it work for RANDOM governments?