Realms of Dread OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Oh, please. Are you still trying to pretend we were in the wrong there? Those "half trained men" used lethal force against surrendered and bound prisoners with intent to murder. They also used lethal force against two people who were peacefully co-operating with them. Or do I have to remind you just WHY that Barbarian was crazed? He had just been shot in the chest with a crossbow for exactly no reason, and the boy in question had just attempted to set him on fire!

This just does not compare with what Delthrin was doing. Those ghouls, and almost certianly the thinking zombies, are people. People whose sould he has infused with negative energy and bound into corpses to serve as his insane and tortured slaves indefinitly. Worse, he has contacted Hell, and called a fiend into the world to serve him, giving the forces of ultimate evil a conduit into the world.

Yes, he was doing all this for philanthropic reasons. Many plunges into evil begin that way. People think of temptation as crude offers of power or wealth, but its just a matter of offering what the subject wants and convincing them that the value of the goals makes the methods alright.

Well they don't. The goals are a product of the method, and if the methods are Black Magic and diabolism, the goals will be just as black.
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Like Archidus and Rardi perhaps say consorting with a Brain eating alien monster maybe :roll: :twisted: :lol: !!!!!!
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

One thing I enjoy is the moral and ethical complexity of this game. Delthrin's goals were mostly noble, but few could really argue that some of his methods weren't tainted with evil[animating the undead] Threan informed on Rardi and her team because he saw them [with a lot of justification] as a set of out-of-control watchmen who broke the laws as they pleased, attacked citizens, and killed/caused the deaths of people whom they judged 'evil.' Shana and Rardi believe that Delthrin's evil actions [animating undead] justify taking him down outside the law- [even though Rardi had promsied to uphold that same law]. the law itself protects the people of Cormyr and their property- but also allows a necromancer to create zombie 'slaves' and even keep a devil as a watchdog.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Archedius truly had no knowledge of Okithruu's nature. He is not a scholar, he was a footsoldier and had heard only legends of the things form the underdark.

If you read the pages again, you'll see that Archedius was the primary motivator for handing Deltherin over to Okithruu.

Yes, Archedius wanted Deltherin dead because if he were being vivisected he would want to kill his torturer- why not give Okithruu that chance as well? I don't consider my character to be in the good or evil alignments as he feels neutral to me.

To him, he saw Deltherin torturing living beings, summoning a being from Hell itself
(this is truly an unforgivable offense- there is NEVER a good reason for summoning a fiend. You cannot come up with one as you could've always summoned some other outsider to accomplish a task. If you summon a fiend, you truly have evil in your heart.)
, animated and bound souls into their rotting bodies and manipulated negative energy.

Whereas with the mind flayer, Archedius saw a being that was malnourished, parched, tortured and kept in misery. His heart went out to Okithruu despite its alien mindset. Finding out that it ate brains later on doesn't change his opinion.

I do not think that mind flayers are innately evil. They are evil by human morality standards. They have their own morality because of their biological needs. They need to eat humanoids so their morality must accomodate their eating habits.

If you look at real life humans we don't exactly treat our meat animals well- it's the same situation for the Illithid. We are meat and draft animals to them.

The fact that Okithruu is interacting with us on this level clearly differentiates it from the rest of its kind- but why that is remains unknown.

Skybolt, I as a player understand why Threan has done what he's done but Archedius as a character is very irate with him 8)
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

How was your game Ewan ?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Yes, good roleplaying all around.

We should briefly discuss the future of this campaign.

options as I see them:
  • This is the last chapter. I wrap it up and we retire the game with a good send-off/climax.

Just keep going with the party we have now. This may be impossible, though, because of intra-party feuds [not between players, but between PCs- the difference is HUGE, and marks you all as the sort of gamers with whom I like to play].

A new party rises from the ashes of the old, incorporating most of the PCs, but leaving out one or two old PCs who will otherwise be at each other's throats, and introducing new PCs in their places. I continue to run.

We switch DMs. Adjustments are made to ease intra-party tensions [I could make a new PC for myself instead of transferring Moorkroft from NPC to PC status, as Shana and Blaise are now rather hostile to Jamethon]. The game goes on, but under new management.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:How was your game Ewan ?
GURPS, it's actually today [Sunday]. Meaning...I'd better go to bed soon.

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Wow! Rardi's letting another being die just to have a new body to use? Archedius at least didn't have it happen intentionally...but wow, suprised by Rardi.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Archedius wrote:Wow! Rardi's letting another being die just to have a new body to use? Archedius at least didn't have it happen intentionally...but wow, suprised by Rardi.
I was, too. :shock:

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

:shock: First definate powers check I've seen lol
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Archedius wrote::shock: First definate powers check I've seen lol
I asked Tarlyn if he was 100% sure about this....

For the record, this is not an uninformed or a snap decision, by any means.

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Sooo many twists in this campaign :D
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Archedius wrote:Sooo many twists in this campaign :D
LOL

M Night, eat my shorts.

Really, was a single necromancer with a social conscience really that freaky?

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

that was one of the more normal happenings :lol:
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Archedius wrote:that was one of the more normal happenings :lol:
LOL