The Falkovnian Embassy, Quartier Publique, Port-a-Lucine; March 11th, 770, 3:43 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lia wrote:"Ah, but you can not surprise me that way, Markos," Lia says, her tone still light and pleasant as she rounds of the Falkovnian. "But I will acknowledge that it is quite the feat for you to be so up-to-date on what goes on in Darkon. What was it again that King Azalin had done to the last Falkovnian ... shall we say, 'active researcher', who was discovered within his borders?"
"It is less of a feat than it seems, Lia." Vedarrak said, smiling. "One of the advantages of high rank is the ability to delegate to your staff, and I have a very competent staff. Plenty of eager young men and women, very well trained in various skills. Some very clever new wizards, fresh from the Radiant Tower."
"The fabled Falkovnian thaumaturgical institute, yes, strange as such an idea is." The Duchess von Auerbach remarked. "I am told you are a mage yourself. A graduate of the Tower?"
"I'm afraid that I never had the honor. I'm largely a self-taught mage." Vedarrak said with a smile, spreading his hands. "And I fear that compared to the Radiant Tower, I'm only a gifted amateur. They've been coming up with some very exciting theories recently, particularly in the arts of elemental binding."
"The University of Dementlieu uses bound elementals extensively." The Duchess glanced at Lia, her expression unreadable. "Periodically courting disaster, perhaps, but with some success."
"It's a field in the midst of a thaumaturgical revolution. Mages are binding entities that weren't even known a decade ago, and doing it more safely than ever." Vedarrak quirked a lip. "Of course, there's a few blocks worth of charred buildings near the University that show that not all of the kinks have been worked out of the technique yet. Still, elemental manipulation will be the wave of the future, I think. Another twenty or thirty years and it will change the face of magic."
Lia wrote:The Mage makes a little throw-away gesture, as if to get rid of a distressing subject, and continues: "In any case, your bet is as good as mine when it comes to the people who left Dementlieu. Possibly, your gues is a bit better. But how have you been, Markos, apart from rising meteorically higher in the ranks of the Drakovs' armed forces? As I said, living history can be a bit tense. How are you dealing with it all?"
"Carefully." Marcos Vedarrak said. "Very, very carefully."
The Duchess raised a politely cynical eyebrow at this.
"The Kingfuhrer and his Government extend wholehearted support to Lord-Governor Guignol and the Council of Brilliance." Vedarrak said blandly. "We understand that this is a difficult time for Dementlieu, and wish them well with regards to their domestic situation."
Eglise Sainte-Madeleine, Quartier Marchand, Port-a-Lucine; March 11th, 770, 3:43 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrus wrote:"Perrine," Cyrus said simply. "Is that name familiar?"
"It should be!" The trinket-seller said, puffing on his cigar.
"A pair of gendarmes came over an hour ago, maybe two, though they bought tickets for ten. One of them kept yelling in my face whether I knew this Perrine of yours, what could I tell them, you know, the usual tripe." The salesman waved his cigar around, giving Cyrus a good sniff of that abominably foul-smelling smoke. It was, nevertheless, better than the man's breath. "I told them I knew nothing, and after a while they went on down into the catacombs. Haven't seen them since."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kerrian wrote:"I saw...it was different." Kerrian's eyes darted amongst the group, finally coming to rest on Richard.Low Mordentish "Your Coat is old Mordentish and you belong here, the spirit knows you as its own...but you're hanging by your neck with red string. " The last bit said with enough gravitas to indicate that that the last bit was probably not a good thing.
Richard gave a bit of a bemused grin, doing his best to wrap his head around Kerrian's non-linear version of time.
Low Mordentish "
I'm, I'm not, my dress sense isn't quite that old fashioned. My coat, in, in the vision, you mean? I doubt the spirit of this place wanted to, to comment on my choice of clothing, but I'm afraid I'm not, not, I don't really know much about spirit visions. I'm certainly not surprised that it would come off a little, ah, a little macabre. Though I, I, thank you for not mentioning that to anyone else. It'd just give everyone the wrong sort of idea." He spoke the last bit with a mix of bashfulness and exasperation, though the latter didn't seem to be directed at anyone in particular. The syllables he spoke were more rounded and polished than Kerrian's, but the two men could understand each other well enough.
"It, it seems to accept me, does it?" he said in High Mordentish, grinning slightly like a schoolboy over a mild crush. "I, I, I feel this place is a special one, though it's a bit, a bit intimidating."
Kerrian wrote:"We have to go into the catacombs. It's where the Blackbirds are being cut in half by the sword, but they keep flying one winged till they land in the stream and the lights in the chasm where death lives with a song. I think the blackbirds are people...there are 5 of them...same with the Sword, but there's only one sword, and its hilt is the sun."
Thierri folded his arms and raised an eyebrow at Kerrian's explanation. "I'll stick with magical divination from this point onward."
"Aw, c'mon Thierri, don't be so harsh, he's new at this! And nearly died from something inexplicable. I'm sure he'll get better with practice! Er, practice seeing visions anyway, don't practice dying any more, okay Kerry?" Cerise said, her normal enthusiasm tempered but still present in force. "I mean, the birds could be, um, freedom, or a good omen, in Darkon, or I think sparrows are psychopomps, so, maybe they're morticians? Morticians bearing good news? Like how your second cousin you never liked kicked it and left you a lot of money or something. Ooooooor maybe the sword is the sword of Leon? Although I think that one had a lion on the hilt with it's mane as the sunburst. So... whomever stole Leon's sword is cutting you out of your great aunt's will! Don't give me that look," she finished, cheekily poking Thierri in the ribs. "The catacombs bit was clear enough even for you. I'm sure the rest of it'll make sense at some point."
"No doubt after it would have been useful for us to know it," Thierri said dully. "The catacombs are downstairs, and you," he pointed forcefully at Kerrian, "will be staying upstairs. If you think this creature killed you for a moment, you will not do anything to encourage it to stick."
"What? We can't leave him alone up here!" Cerise protested, mockingly aghast. "When we come back he'll have been kidnapped or something! It's how these things work! You know Eyal Theran in Darkon even wrote a thesis about how random criminals with pistols spontaneously generate around investigators when no one's looking at them. You really should look it up."
"We might need him to be with us," Richard said, more reasonably. "He was the one that had the vision. He might notice something important that we, we don't."
Thierri regarded Kerrian, and the rest of the group, with his hands on his hips, completely unamused. "Well. Don't let issues like personal health get in the way of this little foray," he remarked snidely.