Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

An Unexpected Return: Cutscenes

Post by steveflam »

August 23rd, 775
Village of Barovia, Barovia

The cloaked figure giggles uncontrollably. "Ha ha ha...... bones...... bones..... look here...
I see a bone! Hahahahahahahah!!!!! Vassili, look, I found a bone! Hahaaahahahahaaah!!!!!!!!"

The other figure sighs. A strapping man of near thirty years. "Jacob, listen to me. Yes I can see that
is a bone. But it is not the right one, Giorgio. Come now, let me see." The man approaches and inspects
it. Not old enough by his standards. He smiles politely at the cloaked figure. "It isn't old enough, old man.
Now let us search further, shall we?"

The cloaked figure laughs some more, only saddening Vassili more. I really wish there was something I
could do for him. This disease came upon him suddenly and has been slowly stripping his mind ever since.
Del told me it usually strips the mind of the elf and kills he or her outright in less than ten years. Well, it has
near nine years now and I fret the day he shall perish. Sighing he looks at the cloaked figure. Just a few years
ago Jacob had helped him find the cure and after that, it had been downhill from there.

"Jacob, let us look over here, I sense we are closer to our goal, friend."

"Yes, yes Vassili, whatever you say, hee hee hee!" And the figure dances and hops around like a rabbit. As
they delve farther into the tomb, the less they find any coffins, wooden or otehrwise. Soon they are on the last
room and Vassili is about to give up. Jacob's hood flips back, revealing a very ancient dark elf, amber eyes wild,
looking everywhere. His hair is unkempt and his mouth and face are in a perpetual smile and grin. "Vassili, Vassili,
there's no more here. But wait...... wait..... I can ....... hahahahaha.... seee..... hee hee hee hee....... feel .......
another portal here. HAHAHAHAHAHHAH! Wait, let me check it, I feel it, oh oh oh .... yes yes yes....."

The dark elf now hops around the last chamber, gurgling and moaning like a banshee. He stops twice, near a wall.
He taps the wall and then lays down, feet at he wall, on his back. His foot taps the wall and he looks up at Vassili,
upside down. "I tell you, I tell you, yes there be a door here, yes yes!" His foot taps uncontrollably on the wall as he
giggles uncontrollably. Vassili moves to Jacob's location and casts a spell, eyeing the wall where Jacob's foot taps.
He is rewarded with the outline of a door! Moving quickly he is now a the door, and utters a few words. The outline
becomes a door and once visible, it swings open, pushing the dark elf's feet aside. Vassili smiles and pushes
forward, passing through the doorway. Sure enough he is rewarded with two tombs! Both are indicated quite clearly
in Ancient Balok. Not many knew of this language, but had studied it, thanks to his Uncle Lucius who had
insisted he study and learn this ancient tongue. He smiles as he reads the inscriptions to both tombs. One is a named
one, the other is similar but not quite. Now he grins. Moving over to the tomb he has come for, he takes his
time pushing the lid aside. It crashes to the floor, making Jacob jump in boots, frightened somewhat. Soon the dark elf is
back to babbling and muttering nonsense.

Vassili looks inside the tomb and sees a skeleton. "Success!", he hisses to himself. Reaching down, he touches the
skeleton, making sure it is real. Satisfied, he breaks off a finger bone and pockets it in his pouch. He mutters a prayer to the
dead and departs the chamber, pulling the dark elf along with him "Jacob, I have found it, now let us get back to the Temple,
Giorgio. You will have some work to do for me later, ok? Now, come on, I know you can do it for me, can't you?"

Jacob says nothing but follows Vassili. Soon they have exited their location and are walking through the village of
Barovia towards the Temple of the Morninglord. Upon arriving, they enter the Temple and are greeted by an acolyte. He leads
them to the back of the Temple and down a flight of stairs. Past a long hallway through a door, then another hallway to
pass through a final door to open to a rather large room. The only thing is this room is an altar and a makeshift bed. Four
men are here. They look up from their prayers to eye the three men. "Ah, Vassili, I sense you were successful in your search
this day."

"Yes, Father, I was. I have the bone. Now Jacob can help you with your quest, sir."

He moves to the elder man and hands him the bone. Moving back, he taps Jacob on the shoulder. He nods at him, and smiles.
The dark elf grins wildly and moves over to the other men. The first one places the bone on the bed and looks to the others.
"Are you ready, Master Jacob?"

"Yes, yes, ready ready I can be and am..... hahahhhhahahahaha!!!!!!!!! Bone bone bone, I like the bones! HAHAHAHAHH!....."

The elder man looks at Vassili with a quizzical expression. The younger man merely nods. "Just get on with it, he will perform
admirably."

The man is still unsure, but trusts Vassili and thus begins the incantation. Soon the others join in. It doesn't take long before
Jacob stops his lolligagging and a serious expression adorns his face. Now the three men chant in unison and Jacob moves to
join them. Soon they are all chanting. Energy begins cackling all around the chamber, building to a crescendo. In one final
outburst, the three men and Jacob expend the energy of the spell, directing it on the bone. At first, nothing occurs, then slowly
the bone begins moving and taking form. Soon an entire skeleton takes form and then flesh, tendons and finally skin take the
form of a human male. A young man of near thirty years, dark hair, good looks.

Jacob collapses to the floor after the spell is completed. Vassili rushes to him and swallows. The dark elf breathes no more, but is
peaceful in his final repose. He bows his head and closes Jacob's eyes. Looking up at the three priests he asks "I gather you were
successful then?"

"Yes, and we thank you and Jacob. We knew not he was sick, Vassili. He did the right thing, don't forget it. You should take him away
from here and back to Darkon with you for family and friends. Now let us take care of this man."

Vassili doesn't say anything, but nods. He is now weeping as he picks up the form of Jacob and carries him back up the stairs and to
their rented home. It would be a long trip back to Darkon.
Last edited by steveflam on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

June 22nd, 775
Southern Core of Ravenloft

As the residents sleep, from Immol to Krezk to the Village of Barovia to
Hoessla, the general population have odd dreams of moving and shifting earth
and sleep fitfully. The Nocturnal Sea shifts, moving south of Nova Vaasa and
then West to stop at the edge of Barovia, at Hoessla. Even as the residents slumber,
Barovia now has two ports. Residents will wake in the morning, for some odd reason
knowing they have ports in both Immol and Hoessla. Rumors will be abound over the next
few years of a dread pirate terrorizing the seas. None have ever seen his face, but swear
by his blue/red cape and long black locks!

The land of Hazlan shifts, moving under the land of Nova Vaasa. Nova Vaasa moves
North, to make way for Hazlan. The land of Falkovnia and Nova Vaasa come together,
now bordering each other. Thus the Shadow Rift shrinks. Tepest and Keening now touch
the tip of Falkovnia.

The land of Forlorn shimmers and forever disappears, making place for the larger Barovia.

Looking up on Castle Ravenloft, one might have to blink twice. Where once stood the
Devil Strahd's castle now stands and even more majestic one! Shrieks that chill the bone can
be heard in the village to those who slumber doesn't come easily.

At the same time, in Darkon, Castle Avernus shimmers and disappears, only to be replaced by a
smaller castle, yet just as majestic.

Not far from Har-Thelen a castle shimmers and disappears from sight, to be replaced by
a taller and larger one.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

August 24th, 775
Road to Vallaki, Barovia

Vassili swallows. I don't know what I am going to tell Delsenora. Jacob helped us so much, especially
those of us afflicted with the curse. Lucius eventually got cured, but that avenue became closed to me
afterwards as that item was rendered useless after his use. I still do wear the the ring to repress my curse.
I am glad that Lucius is cured. He was so kind to me and helpful in my education. I am very grateful that
he taught me the Balok tongue as well as leading me to learn the ancient tongue of Barovia.

The Vistani man comes out of his reverie because the carriage had stopped. Frowning, he opens the door
and is about to speak when he hears a scream! Rushing out, he unsheathes his rapier and runs towards the
sound. He sees the coachman, on his knees trembling. The wagon the carriage is pulling contains a coffin.
As he looks there, he sees the coffin is open and of course Jacob is standing on the wagon, dancing and
laughing at his own private joke. Looking down at Vassili he grins. "So, did I win? Do I get a
bone like you did? HHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boney..............boney............. ahahahha..........
I'm alive............ hee hee hee hee hee hee.............. I tricked you all!!!"
He jumps down and hops
around before coming before Vassili and sitting on his hands and rocking back and forth, mumbling in
the drow tongue.

Vassili's first reaction is to throttle Jacob. Catching his breath he exhales. Unclenching his
fists, he relaxes. "All right, you. Enough is enough. That poor man won't be able to lead us any further, Jacob.
You always put me in awkward situations you silly drow! Very well, we'll get to Vallaki a little slower than
was planned."

August 29th, 775
Krezk, Barovia

Leaving the Temple of the Morninglord, both men head for the city hall. Their goal, to purchase a home here.
"So you think I should live here, Jacob, do you?"

"Hee hee, yes yes, yes I do. Captain oh my captain, la la la la la la......... you'll be a Captain one day! Join the
militia. Yes, yes. I know it, you know it, they know........ HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a bone too...
boney boney boney........ Hee hee hee hee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Yeah!"
The dark elf jumps up and down,
uncaring that people are staring at him and shying away from the two men. Vassili leads Jacob to the City
Hall and within an hour a home is purchased.

The next day Vassili joins the militia.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

April 3rd, 785
Somewhere in Barovia

Consciousness arrives slowly. Trickling into the mind. Fire.... such pain....never felt..... Then nothing but
blackness. Awarenss is next. Where am I? How long have I been this way? A slight mist moves around
slowly, settling on a spot. A form slowly materializes. It doesn't move as of yet. The mind is now awake as
is the form. Male. Over fifty, dark black hair, strong face. Black cape with red interior, black pants, white shirt,
blood red pendant on necklace.

Nearby, a form stirs, looking at the happenstance within the cave. "So, you wake, my lord?," asks the voice.
It approaches, unsure if it is correct.

The form now rises, sitting up. He looks at the cave's other occupant, eyes boring into its eyes. He commands
"Tell me, where am I and how long have I been here. Now!"

The figure swallows, nervous. "Uh, from what I've learned, you have been away for over ten years or more, sire.

"Who are you? And why are you here?"

"I am Azrael, sire, your humble servant. Strange happenstances abound in your land, sire. I waited for your wakening
with eagerness."

The other frowned. This thing thought itself his servant? He eyes it more closely. "Creature, you say you are my servant,
but who do you serve? Yourself or someone else. Don't lie to me, I will find out soon enough and squash you like the
bootlicking bug that you are. Now, tell me of my land!"

"Sire, I... only wish to help you...... Bah, very well....... what do you wish to know?"

"First of all, how did you now to come here for me?. Answer me or face my wrath, bug."

Azrael shuffles his feet, nervous. He'd heard of this one from his former Lord and didn't wish to face this one's wrath.

"I learned it from my previous Lord, sire. The Blackest Knight, sire. I believe you know of him? Soth is his name."

The other frowns. "Soth? Is he here? And he told you of me?"

Azrael is nervous and answers quickly. "Yes he is here, sire. And resides in his castle, where yours once stood. I know not
where your abode is, sire. I do know it was replaced by Needragaard [sp] Keep a few years ago and Soth ahs been here
ever since"

The figure ponders the information. "So, Soth is now the supposed Lord of Barovia. I wonder, how came you to
be here and find me, bug?"

Azrael shifts from one foot to another, nervous. Honesty here would save his hide. "I learned of it from a gypsy, sire.
She knew where to find you and the exact date. I let her live, of course. Why be more cursed than I am already, eh?
Anyways, I came and now you are alive, sire. I think that the great Strahd Von Zarovich should be returned to his rightful
place as lord of Barovia, don't you?"

Strahd has no reaction to Azrael. He does know he has a few hours before the sun rises. "Very well. You may remain my
servant for the time being. Find out as much as you can about Soth as you can and come back to me in three days."

He changes into a bat and flies out of the cave and into the Barovian night.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

August 27th, 775
Krezk, Barovia
Temple of the Morninglord

The figure on the bed has only stirred once or twice, but not woken. The
elder man looks at the slumbering form and frowns. "The spell is quite
powerful, Ruri. But I am beginning to understand why, now. He will wake slowly.
He has been deceased for many centuries as you well know."

"Sentire Thomas, I agree."

The figure stirs on the bed and suddenly sits up, eyes opening. TATYANA!!!
he yells, then something incomprehesible is mumbled. He looks around confused before
lying back down and falling into a slumber.

"Tatyana? Maybe his wife, sire?"

The older man appears pensive. "I think we need to research something. In my old age
I am forgetting something I should remember."

They leave the room and move deeper into the tunnels of the Temple. Thomas stops at a door
Ruri has never been to before. "This is where we keep our most valuable items, whether they be
art objects, tomes, weapons and so on." He utters a prayer to the Morninglord even as he removes
a key from around his neck and places it on the keyhole. There is a click and the door opens.
Iniside there are items everywhere neatly placed on shelves and several chests, locked. The room
is lit magically. "Have a seat, I shan't be long."

Ruri takes a seat at a long table and waits. It doesn't take the Sentire long to find what he is looking for.
He removes two tomes from a shelf and carries them back to the table, handing one to Ruri. "You know
how to read the ancient language. These tomes are in that language. One is from the begninngs of our
land and the other a diary of some sort given to us by an elderly doctor many years ago. His name
escapes me at the moment. Read on, we will find our answers here."

For the better part of the day and into the night, both men read their respective books. Once terminated,
Thomas suggests a slight rest and then back to read the others book to make they miss nothing.

August 28th, 775
Krezk, Barovia
Temple of the Morninglord

Sitting back from the book, Ruri rubs his tired eyes. There is a lot of information to process here.
The one thing that he finds sticingk out is if the man calling out to Tatyana is indeed Sergei
Von Zarovich, then this is indeed a very great day for the Temple! And for Barovia no less! Sergei
could bring hope to the people and claim his rightful place as ruler of the land, and not that Soth
monster who seems to care little for the land or its people.

Thomas puts down his book and looks at Ruri. "So, my son, you have seen who this Tatyana is?"

"Yes I have, Sentire Thomas. Betrothed to Sergei she disappeared from Barovia. I think this has
something to do with the Devil Strahd as well, sire. These books are quite ancient so we may
never know the whole truth or even if they are genuine. One person's point of view may not actually
be as accurate as another's as you well know."

"I am of the same thinking, Ruri. Come, let us go see the progress of our patient."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

May 2nd, 785
Somewhere in Barovia

The figure walks through the streets. He knows he is late, but didn't care.
I hope that she likes my news this day. If my suspicions are true, then we have much to fear. Before he knew it, he was at the door. He knocks
three times, twice then once more and then waited.

It doesn't take long before the door opens and an elderly man stands before him. "Ah, Calrogan. You are late. You know how she despises tardiness.
Very well, enter." The man moves aside to let Finrod Calrogan pass and head through the familiar halway to the den. There he stops at the door and
peers inside. Sure enough, sitting demurely on a settee is the person in question. Brynhilde Colthan. He knew not much of her, to be honest. And
that bothered him. He prides himself on his network of informants and they could give him nothing on her. She had come onto the scene in Darkon
a few years ago in that mostly man's only club and ever since, has been here in Krezk, to be precise. Their agent on the spot. He does appreciate her
generosity but likes to know more about who he deals with.

Clearing his throat, he waits for acknowledgement. She looks up with her odd lavender eyes. "Come in, Finrod."

He does just that. When she nods to a chair, he takes his cue and sits. "So, what might I do for you this day, ma'am?
I do have that information you asked for. I came upon it with no great ease of course. And you know me, I get it done,
no matter what."

She eyes him, eyes roving up and down his body, checking for telltale signs of lying and his body language. Nothing comes
to her attention.

"Very well. Tell me what you've found out."

He clears his throat, then crosses his legs. "Burgmeister Dak spends much time in the mountains. This is a little odd in itself. But I
have learned why, in a roundabout way. This wasn't easy as you well know his nature. He goes to a cave and inside speaks to someone
he calls Master and Lord. I don't understand why, but I gather he must have a good reason. The voice is very commanding as if he is
accustomed to being obeyed. The voice seems weak though. I cannot put my finger on it, but I sense I am right. I don't dare enter
for fear of discovery and I do value my laife after all, ma'am. Now the best part of my information is connected to this item.

I have been to Immol a few times, as you well know. You know the rumors as well as I do. A pirate terrorizes the waters there.
One evening, by sheer luck, I happened to be in the port and at a drinking hole. There I learned that this pirate was hiring
sailors. Being a master at disguise I accepted and before I knew it I was on board a seafaring vessel. A pirate ship! Ah yes,
the meaning of my tale. I never did get to see the Dread Pirate. That is what he is known as, no name as you well know.
The thing is, his voice is the same as the one I heard in the cave! I don't know what that means, to be honest. But I am
sure you appreciate the information. Twins perhaps? Who knows? Well, that is my information, milady. I think it is
worth your time and gold.

There are a few newcomers to the city, ma'am. And one of them is assuredly known to you. His name is Thomas. Of the Cante
family. Why he is here, I know not, but can find out for you, if you like."

"You've done well, Finrod. The payment is the same as always. Gerald will pay you. Now go, I have other preoccupations now."

He stands and bows politely to the elf woman, then exits the den.

The elf woman grins. So, William's son is here in Krezk? How delightfully delicious! I have to write to my luvvy and tell him that!
I do hope the he is doing well in his research in Mordent. I kind of miss his gruff self and long beard! Ah, I'll see him soon, I hope.
Now, Helmut told me something. Ah yes, I remember now. I'll keep an eye out that fiend Dak now. I hope Vassili is up to the task.
I am unsure as to the voice in the cave and his connection to the Dread Pirate? Time will reveal all. I miss Waterdeep at times. That
is long ago and I doubt I'll ever see the City Of Splendors ever again. I do miss that old codger Basteele. He was a great teacher to me.
Ah speaking of which.

"Lupzig, come here you silly bird!"

From the top of the staircase can be heard a hoot and then an aged owl flies through the open door and alits on the womans shoulder.
"Ah, you old thing. I have a job for you. Keep an eye on Thomas and his friends, please. Be discreet, all right?"

She reaches into a pocket and removes a mouse. "There you go, enjoy!"[

Lupzig grabs the mouse in its talons and in one fell swoop of its beak, eats the rodent! She looks at the elf woman and hoots twice.

"Okay, okay! I'll open a window for you!"

She rises from her chair and walks out of the room and up the stairs. Walking down a short hallway she opens a door. Walking into the room,
she heads right to the window. Opening it she stands aside. "All right, you! Out and do your job!" She swats playfully at
the owl even as it flies through the window and out into the Krezk morning.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

May 3rd, 785
Burgmeister's home
3 a.m

Azrael sits by the fire, grinning. Ah, she was divine. Such luscious curves,
tasty flesh, coarse blood. Why Master Strahd wishes me to kill these women, I know not. Nor care for that matter.
He sips his brandy and sighs.

From the shadows a dark, cold voice disturbs the peace of his home. One that raises the hackles of his hair. "So this is where you hide. What are you up to, Azrael? Seeing as this is my land now, I order you to tell me else face my wrath. Don't test me, I am in no mood for your falsehoods or trickeries.

"Uh, I am the mayor of this city. Nothing more, Lord Soth, I swear it!"

An imposing figure emerges from the shadows. That of a Death Knight! Even before Dak can react, its hand is around his neck and squeezing blocking the passing of air to his lungs. Though Azrael struggles, even changing into his real self, he cannot remove the hand blocking the air to his lungs. Soth squeezes once more then tosses Azrael across the room into the fireplace. Sparks fly everywhere but no fire starts. Azrael jumps out of the fireplace, tumbling then standing. He is very nervous, his eyes darting left to right.

"I won't ask you again, Azrael. Tell me or die. Those are your choices, scum."

"Yeah, um, what have I been up to? Well besides being the mayor of Krezk I also have been up to the mountains, and a cave." He swallows here, unsure of how Soth will take this bit of news. Then again, perhaps the Death Knight had his suspicions and wanted confirmation.

Soth nods, but says nothing. He isn't sure, but knows that what Azrael tells him will be well worth his time here. He's felt for some time some other
power in this land and now was actually pleased he'd found Azrael and finding out the truth.

"Through tedious research, I discovered that this cave was once a hideaway for Strahd Von Zarovich. Don't worry, my source is now of no consequence. I decided to investigate. Upon my arrival there, the cave was filled with mists. I stayed many days as I sensed a presence. On the eighth day I was rewarded with he mists shifting and finally forming into the same Von Zarovich. I serve him for his whims, you see. I know not what he plans, Lord Soth, I swear! I see him sporadically as it is. What would you have me do?"

He looks at the Death Knight, nervous and quite afraid.

"Do nothing for now. Keep up the facade of serving him. I shall be in touch. If you even breath a word of our encounter to him, I will kill you next time and it will not be a quick death, I assure you. I'll bring you back to the keep and let the three have their ways with you. Then I'll tear the skin from your body, piece by piece. Do I make myself clear? I better, because we will not have this conversation again. Until my next visit, Azrael." As fast as he had appeared, Soth was gone, through the shadows.

The werebadger was clearly shaken. He didn't know what was worst. Soth or Strahd's wrath. He hoped he would never find out. He began thinking of this evenings events and a grin crept back to his face. Soon he forgot about his visitor and after finishing a second glass of brandy, fell asleep in front of the fire. He'd have a servant clean up in the morning.