Another gift for the new year...
- Nerit
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 637
- Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
- Location: The Eternal Autumn
- Contact:
Right, okay, thread-necromancy here, BUT! I am dumb and thought the "Google Ravenloft" idea was mine thirty minutes ago. If I can figure out how to work the Google Maps API I could put up the Port-a-Lucine map on my journaly blog thing for Shattered City? I need permission from lostboy before the attempt, though
.
Of course you can, its up there to be done with as anyone sees fit.
I did look into this a while back actually. It seems the way it works (or one way of doing it anyway) is to create a series of 200 x 200 pixel mapping tiles then create them as a javascript library. The API then calls what it needs as you scroll and zoom.
I didn't get any further than that, so not very helpful really.....
I did look into this a while back actually. It seems the way it works (or one way of doing it anyway) is to create a series of 200 x 200 pixel mapping tiles then create them as a javascript library. The API then calls what it needs as you scroll and zoom.
I didn't get any further than that, so not very helpful really.....
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
- Don Fernando
- Champion of the Maiden

- Posts: 389
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:14 am
- Location: Santiago de Chile
- Nerit
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 637
- Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
- Location: The Eternal Autumn
- Contact:
I looked into it and there's a lot of scripting work involved in a custom Google API map, which I can't do :/. However, there is something like http://www.maplib.net/ . If you look at random maps you'll find a lot of D&D stuff already in there. Here's Middle Earth: http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=13
So, it's 3rd party hosting. I can't afford to buy it for my own site or anything.
EDIT: Nevermind. I checked it out and their max size is 6000 pixels & 4MB. Not feasible for such a detailed map.
So, it's 3rd party hosting. I can't afford to buy it for my own site or anything.
EDIT: Nevermind. I checked it out and their max size is 6000 pixels & 4MB. Not feasible for such a detailed map.
- Nerit
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 637
- Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
- Location: The Eternal Autumn
- Contact:
Okay, I've come up with another idea, but it involves a circus of cooperation
. It would have to be hosted on Mistipedia with this plugin. I believe it allows custom image maps (not just custom lat/long from Earth on Google Maps...). I have no idea if Gonzoron would be willing.
I looked into the alternative of a Wordpress plugin for a custom Google Map but there seems to be none.
I looked into the alternative of a Wordpress plugin for a custom Google Map but there seems to be none.
- Joël of the FoS
- Moderator

- Posts: 7061
- Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:24 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: St-Damien, Québec
I love maps! Go for it!
Another interesting idea would be to have the domain map as they appeared, i.e. to show what it did look like when Barovia had a border with Darkon. And then this domain appeared, and this one, and this one. As some kind of a core evolution slide show.
Joël
Another interesting idea would be to have the domain map as they appeared, i.e. to show what it did look like when Barovia had a border with Darkon. And then this domain appeared, and this one, and this one. As some kind of a core evolution slide show.
Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
- Nerit
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 637
- Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
- Location: The Eternal Autumn
- Contact:
Someone did do a series of images based on the evolution of domains, Joel, and it's hosted on the wiki: http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:The_Core
- Joël of the FoS
- Moderator

- Posts: 7061
- Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:24 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: St-Damien, Québec
Yes I know of this thing. But it's based on the domain position as of now.
We do not see the domains shift and move when a new domain is created between two domains, for exemple when Barovia had a border with Darkon, before Nova Vaasa was created and moved in between them.
Joël
We do not see the domains shift and move when a new domain is created between two domains, for exemple when Barovia had a border with Darkon, before Nova Vaasa was created and moved in between them.
Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
