Clash of the Titans

Books, movies, television and everything else
Pale
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Clash of the Titans

Post by Pale »

Scylla and Charybdis (...English spellings?) were more than just a whirlpool and rocks. Both were legitimate monsters, neither was a kraken. I can't recall their exact backstory, but like so many other monsters in Greek Mythology, they were cursed to their current fates by the gods - I think. Though I think it's a little suspect to have them both cursed and existing in such close symbiosis. I'm not going to get which was which right, but the whirlpool was created by a toothy maw under the water that sucked in and spat out water, boats, etc, creating the "whirlpool" effect. The other, on the cliffs, was some sort of tentacled beast that would throw rocks down and snatch sailors up.

At least, I think that's the case. I could be wrong. I've seen and read too much myth - historical and fictional.
Talum
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Talum »

There werent any titans in the movie....

i have two ways of rating a movie 1) "It was worth the money and time spent" and 2) "I want my money and 2 hours of my life back", this one is the second option by very little, and probably would be just worth it, if it wasnt for the awfull 3D
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Pale wrote:Scylla and Charybdis (...English spellings?) were more than just a whirlpool and rocks. Both were legitimate monsters, neither was a kraken. I can't recall their exact backstory, but like so many other monsters in Greek Mythology, they were cursed to their current fates by the gods - I think. Though I think it's a little suspect to have them both cursed and existing in such close symbiosis. I'm not going to get which was which right, but the whirlpool was created by a toothy maw under the water that sucked in and spat out water, boats, etc, creating the "whirlpool" effect. The other, on the cliffs, was some sort of tentacled beast that would throw rocks down and snatch sailors up.

At least, I think that's the case. I could be wrong. I've seen and read too much myth - historical and fictional.
No, you are mostly right. Their stories are on wikipedia anyway. These days, it's really easy to find anything there. I did read them before I posted, but in fairness, I wrote only what I remembered before.

Apparently, the monsters have been rationalized by Virgil in Aeneid and there, Cila and Caribdis are only the rock and the whirlpool. They're probably monsted in Odissey, but that I did not remember (though I read both at about the same time).
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)