Ravenloft is the 2011 Campaign Setting

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft is the 2011 Campaign Setting

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

:azalin: :adam: :diamabel: :Brain: :elena: :gabrielle: :lucas: :hazlik: :Ivana: :lament: :maligno: :misori: :soth: :Strahd: :banshee: :davion: :wifred: :chardath: :Ivan: :ankhtepot: :arijani:

I have that queasy sort of excitement that I had when 3e RL was announced, and when the boardgame was announced and many other times before... I want to be excited, but I'm scared. I'm not a 4e fan, though I don't hate it. More than the rules, what I worry about more is the "genericizing" of Ravenloft concepts like they did with the vistani. But of course, in the end, we can always ignore it if turns out to be a travesty. And even the worst RL products have had stuff worth mining from. And who knows, it could be awesome.

Soooo..... YAY?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

If they do make it self-contained it has a better chance of retaining what makes it special and standing apart. Like GammWorld. They have a greater freedom to embrace what makes the world unique.
On the other hand, they'll want the product to be useful and have as broad an appeal as possible, to get sales. The reality of running a business. Given it is a 4th Quarter product, it's production is likely dependent on the game AND GammaWorld being a success. If both are flops they'll likely cancel the product or go more traditional.

Still, they went to great lengths to preserve what make Dark Sun what it was. I can't imagine them not working hard to preserve Ravenloft's identity. The question becomes what part of Ravenloft's identity. They advanced the Realms forward 100 years to regain it's openness and counter critics, but took-back Dark Sun a decade in-world to the original set. Ravenloft could easily be a "period piece" set just after the Conjunction or Requiem. Or they might try to retain the flavour of the much more inclusive Domains of Dread book that dumped Gothic Horror in favour of Fantasy Horror...

I do worry. The previews (which are very, very loose) talk about playing vampires and werewolves. Silly as they're already in the game (dhampires, shifters, and the revenant/zombies). This is probably because all the 'Loft game content (see above plus Vistani) has been released in Core D&D. Only one product in Ravenloft ever let you play as a monster (Requiem), it's not something inherent to the setting. Really, it's something opposed to the setting: you're a hero that fights the dark!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Who is writing it, after all?

Any of the usual suspects (MANGRUM!!!*) involved?

*What RL calibans probably shout when they march to battle.
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

I haven't seen wizards treatment of Darksun as yet. I'd say it'll give a good indication of what to expect from a setting material standpoint.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

*rub hands* Excellent, excellent!
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

They've kept the other campaign settings in-house, or relied equally on their regular pool of freelancers. We might get Ari/Mouseferatu, which is the best we could hope for.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Yes, indeed!

My personal taste: in the current WotC staff I'd prefer Ari over Bruce Cordell and/or James Wyatt. Somehow, I'd be more inclined to see Ari trying to stay closer to RL tradition (gothic) and making it fun, while the other two will probably do something new with the setting, and the final result uncertain for my personal taste (high fantasy).

But if JWM is in this project, or another K, that would be even better.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Pamela wrote:Be as skeptical as you want but as long as they're actually bringing Ravenloft back (and not just the concept of Domains of Dread), I'm happy. I didn't use everything in 2e or 3e so I see no reason why I'd suddenly stop tinkering now. There's always something useful and as long as it brings in new fans to keep it alive, I'm very, very happy! :D
Hear ye, Hear ye! New fans, new blood is always good. And heck, even if the boxed module is really bad, there should be something usable. A nicely statted up Red Widow, mayhaps?

In any case, I'm being cautiously optimistic. We've had a bunch of bits and pieces of RL so far (Strahd in Open Grave, the Headless Horseman domain of dread, Vistani), and while I haven't read the Vistani much Strand and the Horseman were both quite good (in my opinion, at any rate) and pretty respectful to the setting.

Granted, the presence of werewolves and vampires as PCs will be odd... but I've got an incipient demigod and a tiefling wizard in my game, I am not one to comment on weird PCs. :D
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

As ewan, I do not want to appear as a grognard but until I actually read the box set etc, I am of the mind that nothing compares to RL 2E.
That is by far the best rendition of our beloved Ravenloft by far.
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Personally, I could care less about new stuff, or how up to date my game is.

I'm just glad the setting remains supported at least in name twenty years after its first publication, and is not locked into Wizbro's immensely huge graveyard of IPs.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

I read somewhere on Enworld that Ari Marmell is so far not involved in the project but plans on chasing up an email he coincidentally sent two weeks ago. He had no idea at all about the coming announcement. So we'll see what comes of that... :twisted:
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I would be extremely surprised (and delighted!) if Mangrum came anywhere near writing for Ravenloft professionally again, considering comments he's made. (though maybe under different developers, or as the developer... ??? )

But from what we've seen, Mouseferatu would be a fine choice as well.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

WONDERFUL news.

I suppose we knew it was coming, considering the various material coming out so far (boardgame, Vistani, Strahd). Not to mention of course the implications of the SHADOW power source (assassin, necromancer, hexblade).

I'm all for it, 4e freak of nature that I am.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Hi five, Dion.
"Is there anything keeping us from checking that place out tonight?" Besides sanity, naturally.
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nerit »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:I'm all for it, 4e freak of nature that I am.
Can we be freaks together?
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak