Masque of the Red Death! : GURPS Style!

Discussing all roleplaying games
Loethadai the Lurker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Masque of the Red Death! : GURPS Style!

Post by Loethadai the Lurker »

Hello all!

I was reading through HuManBing's thread regarding Ravenlot using GURPS as a game system, and thought I'd post a separate thread. If any of you have been reading my other posts, then you'll know that I'm currently running a Masque of the Red Death: 2nd Edition AD&D game. It's become apparent that I should look at newer game systems for this, and I've been giving GURPS a hard look. HuManBing's thread had quite a bit of good information in it, but Gothic Earth is not a traditional Ravenloft setting, so this leaves me having to come up with a different set up. Horror in the 1890's would be more akin to "Screampunk", a GURPS supplement that deals with Horror in a Victorian setting, but it's out of print, and hard to find. This has led me to look at piecing several different GURPS books together in order to create this type of setting.

Books I'm looking at:

GURPS: 4th Edition Basic Character, and Campaign Books
GURPS: 3rd Edition Horror-(4th said to be coming out sometime next year)
GURPS: 4th Edition Thaumotology
GURPS: 4th Edition Mysteries
GURPS: 4th Edition Martial Arts
GURPS: 3rd Edition Cabal
GURPS: 3rd Edition Blood Types

After doing a bunch of reading, and searching, these are the books I've come up with so far. I played 2nd Edition GURPS long ago, when 3rd was just about to come out. I have the BASIC SET book for 3rd Edition, and a few others, but I think I should buy into 4th. I'm vaguely familiar with the rules, so I can use all of the advice I can get on the matter. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Masque of the Red Death! : GURPS Style!

Post by HuManBing »

I've also picked up the 3rd edition books on Monsters and Undead as well. They're good for templates of well-established genre leaders like Dracula (realistic Tepes build as well), Frankenstein's Monster, a Brain in a Jar, and so forth. Undead even has an atomic lich (Elrond Carver) which could be an interesting historical insert. (Bearing in mind that Marie Curie made several of her discoveries of radioactive isotopes in the late 1890s, this places radiation smack-bang in the Gothic Earth Decade.)
Loethadai the Lurker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Loethadai the Lurker »

I've also picked up the 3rd edition books on Monsters and Undead as well.
Which ones? I've been trying to figure out which books to get for Monsters/Undead stuff. The pre-made templates for these things are something I could really use. It's going to be difficult enough just trying to figure out the game, as I remember little to nothing about it. LOL!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

GURPS Monsters and GURPS Undead are two separate stand-alone softcovers available for 3rd ed. At present they are not available yet for purchase as PDFs on the SJGames website, but you can usually find them cheaply available on ebay or a FLGS.

If your game is tending more towards the steampunk time period, check out GURPS Steam Tech (3rd ed.) at: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG30-6422