Village of Barovia - what do we know?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Paladyn
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Village of Barovia - what do we know?

Post by Paladyn »

Hello!
Last time my thoughts were rather occupied with Barovia. I play with an idea of adventure in the most classic Ravenloft domain and began imaging it in my mind's eye. But I have some problems, since only map of Village of Barovia and it's immediate surrounding is in infamous Expedition to Castle Ravenloft mega adventure. And I don't like those map, as they are inconsistient with information I have.

First of all I have an excellent ilustration in Ravenloft Gazetteer I showing village, road, Tser Falls and Count's castle. But it lacks ring of fog. I wonder, are fields inside ring or outside. If latter, how do villagers get throu fog (I assume it's not leathal all the time, but superstitioius folk wouldn't dare to cross it, would they?).

As I have Forbidden Lore Accessory, I have floor plans for Blood O' Wine inn. And Inn showed in map in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is different (if I correctly identify building). So, all in all, I feel I don't have right map of count's fiefdom. Could anyone direct me to such one? Do you have some thoughts or advices or experiences with running adventures in Count's shadow?
I love shorcuts!:
"IMHO a SH HH should be a better RL DL"
- Kargatane mailing list member
------
My campaign's journal: [url]http://forgotten-epic.blogspot.com[/url]
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Village of Barovia - what do we know?

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

There's a rough map of the village of Barovia in Realm of Terror, and the MCS map of the village here: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Gryp ... llage.html claims to be based off of a map from House of Strahd (which I dont own so I cant back it up.) Note that this map is oriented with West at the top. The ring of fog is indeed lethal in both directions without the vistani antidote, and all the fields and grazing areas must certainly be contained within. This is the main reason the village has not grown significantly. The Ring surrounds not only the village, but Castle Ravenloft as well, and while its exact diameter has never been recorded, it can be presumed to be relatively large, extending at least to the gates of the Svalich Road (Which are also controlled by Strahd.)
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook