Ravenloft & Heroes of Horror: Taint vs. Powers Checks

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Ravenloft & Heroes of Horror: Taint vs. Powers Checks

Post by The_Confessor »

So, as I'm preparing for my latest RL campaign "Plague of Fear", I'm going through my source books and came upon a forgotten gem: Heroes of Horror. Written by James Wyatt, this book has clear use in Ravenloft and I was looking at the rules for Taint. I like them, but prefer the RL 3.5 rules regarding Powers Checks.

I was wondering if anyone had done any home-brew stuff on converting the various "tainted" options in Heroes of Horror, replacing levels of Taint with failed Powers Checks. If so, I'd love to see them. If not, does anyone have any insight on making such a conversion?
"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today." -James Byron Dean
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Ravenloft & Heroes of Horror: Taint vs. Powers Checks

Post by Nukdai »

I too have this hidden gem. Personally I kept them seperate where taint could be environmental exposure (like radiation) and powers checks were action based
Even a man who is pure of heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms
And the moon is full and bright
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The_Confessor wrote:So, as I'm preparing for my latest RL campaign "Plague of Fear", I'm going through my source books and came upon a forgotten gem: Heroes of Horror. Written by James Wyatt, this book has clear use in Ravenloft and I was looking at the rules for Taint. I like them, but prefer the RL 3.5 rules regarding Powers Checks.

I was wondering if anyone had done any home-brew stuff on converting the various "tainted" options in Heroes of Horror, replacing levels of Taint with failed Powers Checks. If so, I'd love to see them. If not, does anyone have any insight on making such a conversion?
I'd keep Powers Checks. The idea is that your actions count, not just your environment. That would be lost with taint mechanics.

I think it would be fairly easy to convert those PrCs.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by The_Confessor »

Nukdai wrote:I too have this hidden gem.
I really love this book. It was written by James Wyatt, and he's the cat's pajamas. I feel like it was his way of going "Since I'm not writing Ravenloft anymore, here's the closest I can get away with, since I love it so much."
"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today." -James Byron Dean
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Do you know Nathan's excellent Unified Theory of Powers Checks ?

Also i believe the Archivist stems from this book right? It saw some excellent use in the Menetnashte Expedition PbP here...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I do love a lot about this book, and I like the idea behind Taint, but as others have mentioned, I don't like that it's foisted upon you rather than resulting from choices you make. But other stuff from there is great, like the Archivist, several of the feats and monsters, and a lot of the horror campaign advice.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

Nukdai wrote:I too have this hidden gem. Personally I kept them seperate where taint could be environmental exposure (like radiation) and powers checks were action based
You know, that is actually a really cool idea. I always dismissed Taint as "they need something LIKE Powers Checks, but it can't be Powers Checks" and there was no way I was going to stop doing Powers Checks. But really, I love the idea of evil radiation and exposure. Stolen.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I have problems with taint because there are options in Heroes of Horror that can make it a good thing, and possibly break the game. It's neat and works well in conjunction with Power Checks, but the radiation-esque aspect makes it unappealing for the greater demiplane. But it works for a Lovecraftian infectious insanity gained from spending time in truly twisted places or corrupted locals.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The_Confessor wrote:I was wondering if anyone had done any home-brew stuff on converting the various "tainted" options in Heroes of Horror, replacing levels of Taint with failed Powers Checks. If so, I'd love to see them. If not, does anyone have any insight on making such a conversion?
Sounds a good idea. Keep us posted!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!