Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Words can kill

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Dangerous Books

The Unknowable
Books are not only paper and ink; books are portals, portals to the realm of knowledge and wisdom. By deciphering the patterns of symbols composed of written letters, a man makes a contact with a different reality, exposing his mind and soul to whatever may be found in it. Most books are harmless and even benign, leading their readers safely in the realm of knowledge to useful hoards of information or pleasant experiences. However, there are dark and dangerous places in the realm of knowledge, inhabited by things that man is not meant to know, literally. And exposure to them might be deadly.
The Unknowable is an entity dwelling in the abstract dimension composed of all the knowledge in the universe. It has no shape or form conceivable by humans, and as its name implies, almost nothing is known about it. Few scholars have ever heard about it, and of those who have, even fewer have survived; for even speculating about its existence might be fatal.
The Unknowable guards some of the darkest, most secret databases of information in the realm of knowledge, like a dragon watching its hoard (or a protective computer program). Normally, few creatures ever get near those places; only the rarest arcane texts and ancient books contain the clues leading to this obscure knowledge. When such a text is found and being read, however, and a human mind is coming close to the discovery of the guarded information, the Unknowable will notice and attack. As the reader is struggling to understand what he reads, the Unknowable penetrates his mind, seeking to destroy it and prevent it from stealing away its secrets.
The Unknowable attacks by projecting its power through the written letters of the text as it is being read by the intruder. It uses patterns of letters to implant post-hypnotic suggestion in the reader's mind, commanding him with irresistible force to commit a suicide.
An unsuspecting reader might be completely unaware to the assault on his mind; he might read on carelessly, giving the Unknowable enough time to plant the suggestion deep inside his mind. Soon after finishing the reading, the reader will simply walk away, and shoot himself in the head, or soak himself with gasoline and ignite it. More sensitive and experienced readers might feel that there is something alien and terribly dark in the text they read, and detach themselves immediately from the book, shutting it close and perhaps even burning it down. Those measures of protection are futile, however, for once the Unknowable had analyzed the mental patterns of the reader's mind, it can locate his presence immediately in any area of the realm of knowledge. The Unknowable can now attack the intruder's mind through any written text. Every text the intruder reads may become a mental portal, through which the Unknowable can assail his mind - whether it is a book, a letter or a newspaper. As long as the text contain enough letters (and not many are required), the Unknowable can project the pattern that forms the self-destruction suggestion. Sooner or later, the reader will succumb. The only way to remain safe is to avoid any written text of any type. Some of the rare souls who came upon the Unknowable and survived, live now a reclusive existence, trying to distance themselves from any kind of written letter. Some might keep their house permanently darkened, move to a primitive, illiterate society, or even blind themselves.
As the Unknowable is extremely zealous about protecting its secrets, it might not stop with the death of the original reader. Reading his mind, it learns about any friends or contacts of the intruder, to whom he might have passed some of the information leading to the discovery of the secrets (such as the location of the book containing them, or the key of deciphering them). Having learned about them, the Unknowable sets out to destroy them as well, using again the portals made by written texts they expose themselves to as means to penetrate into their minds. And so, the mysterious suicide of an arcane scholar or wizard might be followed by an even stranger chain of suicides by his colleagues, friends, and investigators sniffing on the scene, without any apparent reason. Everyone who tries to solve the mystery might make himself the next target of the Unknowable, without even suspecting it. Only characters lacking the ability to read, such as analphabetic or blind characters, may approach this mystery without direct risk.
Since knowledge of the Unknowable is such a dangerous thing, one can only speculate about this being's origin and nature. Is it a sentient entity, perhaps with a super-genius intellect, or a kind of sophisticated magic/psionic program, created by who knows what beings? What could be the secrets it guards so jealously? And could it be that its influence on our world is much greater than we suspect? Could it be that any written text on existence is already being used by it to manipulate our thoughts, emotions and memories, with complicated post-hypnotic suggestions, and other mental influences? Like a spider it might be lurking in the centre of the web of information, getting more influence as written word is spreading across the world, granting it access to the mind of all human beings.
You might ponder about those questions, but don't search the answers in any text; for if you ever find them, it might be the last thing you ever do.
[The idea was inspired by a short sci-fi story I read (I forgot its name, it was in one of the Hugo-Award-Winners enthologies), in which a similar entity existed on the net. So while you read those lines, you might already be targeted…]

Henry Morton's Horror Books
Henry Morton was a popular Mordentish author, who disappeared mysteriously. The reader of one of his books will find within a haunting plot unfolding around a character, which has disturbing similarities to the reader's own character. The hero of the story always finds himself or herself dragged into a dark, creepy chain of events, leading him inevitably to a horrid end. The end of the story is always missing from the book, and there are some blank pages instead, which probably leaves the reader rather frustrated. Soon after finishing the book, the reader will find himself, to his horror, getting complicated in a chain of events similar to the one in the book; all his efforts to break out of it, will only carry him deeper along the plot's line – and toward the terrible end! The only way to escape is to write a feasible good end for the story on the blank pages in the end of the book, which would make this end manifest in reality. Shortly afterward, the book will disappear, on its way to another unsuspecting reader.

Book of Absorption
This magical book contains a wealth of arcane and magical knowledge, which has been absorbed directly from the minds and memories of wise people, and was transferred into written language. A reader trying to get access to this knowledge must make a contest of wills against the book, which tries to "read him back" at the same time; if the reader wins, he has attained the desired information. If he loses, the book absorbs his knowledge instead, draining all the memories and information from the reader's mind. The knowledge absorbed will appear as new pages in the book, and the reader shall be left with a blank mind, without any memory.

In this opportunity, I am proud to announce the birth of my 5th offspring - my daughter Tipheret! Her name means "glory", and some of you might be familiar with its kabbalic connotation. I know there are members on this forum who are older than myself, but I bet therer's nobody here who has so many children! :D
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Words can kill

Post by alhoon »

Power word: kill.
Enough said. :roll:

Seriously now keep it up. Interesting topic. I like it! Thematic and all.

About your dauther: Congratulations! Peace and prosperity for you and your family.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Congratulations on the birth of your new daughter. ^^ I'll probably read the rest of your post later, but this leaped out at me. I hope she will grow up to be healthy and happy, always.
Paladyn
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Paladyn »

First of all, I'd like to congratulate being father of young lady. You gave her very unusal name. Certainly, she will be very unique person!

Coming back to topic. I love your ideas, especially second and third book. There is something fascinating in power of ancient, dusty tomes. Henry's Marten Books remind me "In mouth of Madness" movie. An adventure, or better chain of them, taking place in library, where after dark some strange things happen, it could be intereresting, when around are books of power, such as yours.
I love shorcuts!:
"IMHO a SH HH should be a better RL DL"
- Kargatane mailing list member
------
My campaign's journal: [url]http://forgotten-epic.blogspot.com[/url]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

About Henry's book: Mordent has printing. I guess copies of this book don't have similar measures but they should have ... something. A taint or something to lead a character to guess that the original would be problematic.
Keeping with the original, the copies would have empty last pages. They wouldn't draw the reader in a chain of events but IMO, they should subtly influence the events around him. A phrase here, a toss of the dice there... things that could easily be dismissed as "yeah, the book influenced me and now I see the events everywhere" thing. Still, that could cause a "funbase" with collectors looking for originals.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

Something of interest for mechanical flavor, might be the pathfinder Words of Power system. More or less the pathfinder magic system has been rebuilt to use words as the basis for your spells. It's currently in a free playtest for those interested.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8hvu
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mazel Tov on the birth of your daughter! Beautiful name, BTW.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

brass wrote:Something of interest for mechanical flavor, might be the pathfinder Words of Power system. More or less the pathfinder magic system has been rebuilt to use words as the basis for your spells. It's currently in a free playtest for those interested.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8hvu
Good find.
I'm not sure how special or new this is (Chaos mage, WoD), and it doesn't really allow much more freedom; more like changing the number of targets and the area of your spells. but it has an interesting twist: spell research.
Instead of arbitary rules and "make a spellcraft check" there's now this list. I.e. a mage that knows "cone of cold" knows how to deal 1d6 cold damage/lvl and can use cones. If he also knows fireball, he could research a new spell that would deal 1d6 cold damage/lvl as a sphere. However, said caster wouldn't be able to research a new spell that would deal 1d6 sonic damage with 20' radius unless he knows a suitable sonic spell... or learns the "1d6 sonic damage" word somehow.
My DMGuild work!
Sareau
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sareau »

Very Lovecraftian concepts-love it. And congratulations on the addition to Your household!
Harry Morton's books remind me of a book I read last year , Shadow of the Wind-though it was rich on bizarre settings, no magic though.
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Thanks for all the kind blessings! Shkoyech, Ron! :)

Here's another idea: DEMONAMES. There are demons which appear just like their name - as a group of fiery glowing letters and symbols, written on some surface (like Daniel's "MENNE MENNE TEKEL UPHARSIN"), or just flying in the air. The more powerful the demon is, the longer his name is; and longer name means more power, since the demon can use the letters it is composed of to create magical effects, such as suggestions, symbols of pain, death etc., and so on. The demon communicates by writing messages with his letters. It can move freely and write itself on any surface. It can burn one letter or more on a living being, infusing him with some of its essence, and so dominating him or affecting him in some way. The way to get rid of the demoname is to use some erasing spell on it, or to make it write itself is a special magical trap book, and then sealing the book and burying it forever (or untill some curious scholar picks it up...)
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
Sareau
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sareau »

Jack the Reaper wrote:Thanks for all the kind blessings! Shkoyech, Ron! :)

Here's another idea: DEMONAMES. There are demons which appear just like their name - as a group of fiery glowing letters and symbols, written on some surface (like Daniel's "MENNE MENNE TEKEL UPHARSIN"), or just flying in the air. The more powerful the demon is, the longer his name is; and longer name means more power, since the demon can use the letters it is composed of to create magical effects, such as suggestions, symbols of pain, death etc., and so on. The demon communicates by writing messages with his letters. It can move freely and write itself on any surface. It can burn one letter or more on a living being, infusing him with some of its essence, and so dominating him or affecting him in some way. The way to get rid of the demoname is to use some erasing spell on it, or to make it write itself is a special magical trap book, and then sealing the book and burying it forever (or untill some curious scholar picks it up...)
Actually, it makes more sense that the shorter the demon's name, the more powerful it is-more energies concentrated in fewer symbols, you see. Besides, as much as I love Lovecraft, didn't he spend way too much time stealing the bottoms of eye charts and passing it off as a name? Also, the "branding" of a single symbol, markingone as a meat-puppet of this demon or that is easier with a single symbol than a string of them-mor e of the demon occupies the body that way.