Crafting magic arms, armor, scrolls, ect.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Korsahrath
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Crafting magic arms, armor, scrolls, ect.

Post by Korsahrath »

So I have been having a debate with my friend on this topic. The DMG states that it takes one day per 1000gp. Now would that day be considered 8hr or would it be considered 24hr? The formula I came up with is gp x 1440(24 hr in min)/1000. If it were 8hr, it would be gp x 480/1000. I say 24hr, he says 8hr. In the DMG he showed me the page under the creating magic items area that is says, "you can only spend 8 hours in any given say(which he thinks that means 8hr equals 1 day of work);" that sounds like (to me) to create a 1,000gp magic item, it would require 3 days(totaling 24hr). He said that it means 8hr of work would be considered one day. Which is correct?

So for a magic item costing 200,000gp (work 8hr for three days totaling 24hr) in my eyes would take 600 days.

In his eyes it would just be 200 days (work for 8hr in one day equaling a days worth of work).

HELP ME!!!
(>-.-)> t(-,-t)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Crafting magic arms, armor, scrolls, ect.

Post by The Giamarga »

How is he going to be able to work on it 24 hours a day?
The caster works for 8 hours each day. He cannot rush the process by working longer each day. But the days need not be consecutive, and the caster can use the rest of his time as he sees fit.

A character can work on only one item at a time. If a character starts work on a new item, all materials used and XP spent on the under-construction item are wasted.
from SRD: Creating magic items
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Korsahrath wrote:So I have been having a debate with my friend on this topic. The DMG states that it takes one day per 1000gp.
So for a magic item costing 200,000gp (work 8hr for three days totaling 24hr) in my eyes would take 600 days.

In his eyes it would just be 200 days (work for 8hr in one day equaling a days worth of work).

HELP ME!!!
Well... it's pretty clear IMO that's 200 days. 1 day/ 1000 gp. Not 200 24h of straight work, 200 days. If they meant full 24h they would state it so. Also if they wanted it to be by the hour they would also state it so. It's not like they mean "and if you miss 2 hours of work one day, you have to work an extra day for 2h". I think they mean "you work all morning and you're pretty tired by afternoon to keep working".
PS. I don't adhere much to the 8h/workday. I take it as "A hard day's work". So if a character is making a magic item, I don't consider he's working 8 hours, resting 8 hours and sleeping 8hours, but working 10-12 hours.
Of course the truth is... whatever the DM wants it. Personally, I use it as a guidance.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Korsahrath
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Korsahrath »

It doesn't say in the PHB a day is considered 24hr. If that were the case, why wouldn't it be located in the PHB? The DMG specifically says, "The caster works for 8 hours each day. He cannot rush the process by working longer each day. But the days need not be consecutive, and the caster can use the rest of his time as he sees fit." I just don't see how 8hr. is equivalent to 24hr. . . .
(>-.-)> t(-,-t)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Your game, your intepratation of the rules buddy.

For me, they couldn't have spelled it any clearer that they mean 1 day of 8h work for each 1000 gp. For you it's 8 hours for 3 days x 8 hours/day = 24h = 1 day.

Personally I would consider too long locking a character out of the game for 32 days, for him to make a holy sword +2. Much more 100 days.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!