sri raji information

Discussing all things Ravenloft
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

sri raji information

Post by herkles »

Hello,

I am wondering what information exists for Sri Raji? I know that there is web of illussion and the campaign setting, but are there any other sources? Do any of the netbooks cover the land? Generic information, like dragon magazine 225((gives a list of some kit ideas for an indian based game)) would be welcome as well.

sincerely,

-herkles
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: sri raji information

Post by The Giamarga »

Check out this thread on paizo: Indian Flavored RPGs
Thanael wrote: Here are a few Indian themed D20/3E resources:

WotC Mahasarpa Web Enhancement for Oriental Adventures
Mahasarpa Pathfinder conversion thread

This piazza thread about Mahasarpa lists a lot of resources including old Dragon articles, James Wyatt's Mahasarpa campaign site, and the 2E Legends & Lore (with the Indian pantheon).

There's a yogi core class and rakshasa material in Goodman Games’ Complete Guide to Rakshasas

There are three World Building Library: Items of Myth and Legend: India products from Expeditious Retreat Press.

Folkloric - Sahasra, The Land of 1,000 Cities from Dog Soul Publishing

Green Ronin's Mythic Vistas sourcebook Mindshadows is a setting book that describes a mythic India. Monsters of the Mind is the accompanying Monster Book.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

hmm, not familar with Sahasra or mindshadows but it might be helpful. I was mostly looking for culture and things to use for sri raji, as well there is precious little on that domain it seems. Do any of the ravenloft netbooks cover the domain by any chance? I would also enjoy hearing what others have done with the domain.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yeah, there ain't much in canon. I think most players don't have a lot of exposure to middle age Indian culture like they do to European. (At least players outside of India. ;) ) So it doesn't resonate much with the average western RL fan. I know personally, one of my players in Indian in descent, and I know next to nothing about the place, so I steer clear of Sri Raji to avoid bumbling it and offending him.

Canon-wise, you've got Web of Illusion, The assorted figurines from RLMCIII, Jahed from RLMCII, and Radjiff Chandor from CotN: Werebeasts, and a smattering of offhand mentions, (usually just to stand in for "foreign") some of which you can see listed here:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Sri_Raji

A search for Sri or Raji on this page:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Netbook
turns up nothing, but I'm sure there are some mentions of the place in netbook articles, just not in the titles.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Not to toot my own horn, but I gave Sri Raji a short write up in QtR 17, Lost Wonders of the Mist. I wrote a short account of the Karshi Plain, the steaming green hell that is the Indu Kush Valley, and the primordial temple that lies within it, the sinister Angor Kai.
Evil Reigns!!!!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Yeah, there ain't much in canon. I think most players don't have a lot of exposure to middle age Indian culture like they do to European. (At least players outside of India. ;) ) So it doesn't resonate much with the average western RL fan. I know personally, one of my players in Indian in descent, and I know next to nothing about the place, so I steer clear of Sri Raji to avoid bumbling it and offending him.
I'll second all of that. In researching Hindu culture for an entry in the Lost Journals I found I'd bitten off more than I could chew. All the little things that are so distinctly Indian it's hard to know where to start. And don't get me started on the bigger things like the caste system, Hinduism, and the mythology. Just one is one of those things you're either born into or learn after years of intensive study. I can't even credit my studies for discovering two of India's real gems: vindaloo and papadums. That's from Red Dwarf.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Don't have personally much to go with as far as game sources go except for monster stuff. Dread figurines (think mini-golems) were said to have originated in Sri Raji (as described in Ravenloft MC III). Weretigers seem to be a popular subject for Ravenloft, as there's one NPC in MC II and another (along with a mini-adventure) in Children of the Night: Werebeasts.

I think the 3e Fiend Folio mentions that bhuts (a sort of nasty corpse-possessing spirit) makes for good inclusion in Indian flavored campaigns. A Dungeon module called the Winding Way had an adventure featuring them taking over a remote Himalayan-esque monastery in issue 117.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

There's an India-flavored realm (Sind) in Mystara. You could look that place up in the Vaults of Pandius, see what the Mystara-philes have come up with.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

I made a little collection of Indian themed material for a campaign I planned to write but never did more than an outline for. Don't know how much of this might help but worthwhile taking a look at:

Pulp Villain - Thuggee http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... 19388&it=1
The Imperial age - British India http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... s_id=51230
Sahasra - Land of 1000 cities http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... s_id=19913
(In fact theres a load of Sahasra stuff as well)
Complete guide to Rakshasas - http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... =3135&it=1
Lands of pulp - Dark Jungle http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... 28056&it=1 - general jungly rules and ideas

Also if you can track them down a couple of D&D bits

Mahasarpa - add on for oriental adventures by James Wyatt
Star of Kholapur - D&D adventure

Also might be worth chekcing out V:TM - Clanbook Ravnos
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Rudolf Weathermay
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Rudolf Weathermay »

thans for mentioning, i have the ravnos clanbook. can have a look at it :)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Rudolf Weathermay wrote:thans for mentioning, i have the ravnos clanbook. can have a look at it :)
:lol:

Anyway, about Sri Raji, the question is, how immersed are your fellows in the Indian culture? If they're not that much, then reading a few things here and there would give the required believability and everyone will have fun.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rudolf Weathermay
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Rudolf Weathermay »

I don't know much of it, so I have to read a few good sources first. Especially, the way people live there.