Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter 3

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter 3

Post by ewancummins »

THE ABBEY RUINS
A quick search of the ruins turns up no sign of Juergin! The boy has vanished.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Lost Settlement
PathOfDreams wrote:Without moving too far, Petrie lowers his spear to the ground, releasing his grip. With the morsel held as a distraction, he draws a dagger from his boot and holds it with the blade along his forearm, continuing his approach.

The hound comes closer and sniffs around Petrie and the elk meat. It grabs the meat and gobbles that down. After the dog has finished its quick meal, it licks Petrie's hand. If he moves away, it follows him.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn is uncharacteristically out-of-sorts as he searches the ruin, looking frantically for Juergin and his purloined notebook. Once it becomes evident that the young man has left, he hustles over to their guide and asks if he saw the boy leave.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

OUTSIDE THE ABBEY
Adam wrote:Benn is uncharacteristically out-of-sorts as he searches the ruin, looking frantically for Juergin and his purloined notebook. Once it becomes evident that the young man has left, he hustles over to their guide and asks if he saw the boy leave.

Benn finds Melmoth tending to the mules in a grassy field outside the abbey ruins.

"The boy? Haven't seen him since you all went into the Abbey. ''

Melmoth looks out across the sea-cliffs, and then back towards the inland hills.

"Well, he didn't ask for a mule, so he must not have meant to go far. Nice day for a walk. Don't worry--I'll help you look for him. ''

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn nods and resumes the search. Before leaving, he turns to the others. "If we haven't been attacked yet, I'm thinking the shadow creature is either hiding or not here. I am not exaggerating when I say that book is my life's work. If anything happens to it," he broods ominously, "well let's just say Juergin will have more than bad dreams to worry about."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Aye, I've met wizards afore," Everline says, shrugging. "We need ta search dis place a bit more. Down there" - she points at the rectangular opening in the pit's wall - "there's somethin' magical. Might even be tha scepter.

But ye need ta get yer hands back on tha book. I understand."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn nods and smiles thankfully at her. "I'm not exactly a wizard but, well, we have similar methods of preparing our spells."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

As Benn relates what he gathered from the scroll, Eustace blushes a bit.

"I knew I should have understood it. I wonder, though, if casting such a spell would be well-considered by Belenus. Do you understand how far the control over that shadow extends?

He is waiting for Benn's answer when the man notices Juergin's absence, and more than that his notebook. Eustace looks around searching for the bow, but his bad eyesight hampers him in that. He half-smiles, but is nonetheless a bit upset.

"That damned boy should certainly use his head more. No doubt he's gone have his change of clothes. I wonder how far he'll go for that: back to the chateau and back here again? If we have business to do here, we certainly can not wait for him.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Oh, aye? Well, we cin talk methods later," Everline says. "You git on - maybe take the guide wit' ya. Or else stay long enough fer us ta check what's down there?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rock wrote:"Aye, I've met wizards afore," Everline says, shrugging. "We need ta search dis place a bit more. Down there" - she points at the rectangular opening in the pit's wall - "there's somethin' magical. Might even be tha scepter.

But ye need ta get yer hands back on tha book. I understand."

Now that she looks again, there is no magic aura emanating from the opening.

With the centipedes destroyed, it's possible to safely check the hole where she found the scroll-tube. The space is empty. Anyone carefully examining the hollow discovers a chink near the bottom. This gap turns out to be the very same opening in the pit wall that Juergin had searched.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict leaves with Melmoth to go search for Juergin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The dunes-- Petrie, Thom, and the Hound-

The two men and their newfound canine friend have plenty of daylight left to explore the dunes, swim in the ocean, hunt for crabs, and so on.

Near the Abbey Ruins-

Benn and Melmoth check the nearby cliffs, fields, and hills - looking for the missing boy and the precious book he carries.

Meanwhile, back at the chateau-

The little boy naps, curled close to his mother’s warm body. He feels safe and happy.

Jingle jangle

Jonas opens his eyes. Mama is asleep. The room looks the same as before; but what’s that new toy on the floor?

The toy horse jerks upright.

Daddy! This must be one of Daddy’s games.
He crawls down from Mama’s lap. She snores --rolls to one side, but does not wake.
Play-time!

Jonas totters over to the horse and picks it up. He taps the tiny bell tied to its mane and tugs the long string tied to its tail.

Jingle jangle

‘nother bell?

The little felt horse leaps from his hand and tumbles round the corner of the closet door, which hangs slightly ajar.

Jonas giggles. He squints into the dark space beyond the closet door. A grown-up’s hand reaches out of the shadows, palm open, long fingers beckoning him closer.
"Daddy?" Jonas takes a few wobbly steps towards the closet.

Half-hidden by hanging clothes, a big eye blinks at him; a wide mouth opens in a toothy grin.

Jingle jangle

Funny clown!

Playtime

END OF CHAPTER 3