13 Tales of Midgard on Kickstarter

Discussing all roleplaying games
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

13 Tales of Midgard on Kickstarter

Post by Jonathan Winters »

If anyone is interested...

If you like Ravenloft (with some of its steampunk aspects among other things), I really think you will like Midgard.

I incorporated aspects of the setting and adventures in my (now on hold) RL campaign (you can take a look at my journals on this site) and it meshes really well!

This looks to be quite promising. Yes I am a fan of Wolfgang Baur and his company, but their products are really excellent as a general rule!

And if you become a patron, you can influence the final product!

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: 13 Tales of Midgard on Kickstarter

I am really surprised to see little interest in Open Design here... Since, there is quite a bit of horror and gothic going on over there...

I mentioned it to the people over there... Their replies... (Wolfgang Baur - Publisher - & Christina Stiles - Lead Designer -)

Christina Stiles about 3 hours ago
Plus, we'll have the masters of the macabre pitching on this thing: Logue & Pett!

Open Design about 4 hours ago
Tell 'em the publisher just talked with the TSR crew about Tracy Hickman's sneaky secret formula for promoting I6 Ravenloft in Ye Olde Days.... And Midgard has its share of Gothic and traditional horror.

Christina Stiles about 4 hours ago
Bullonir, tell 'em the lead designer co-wrote "Jigsaw" in DUNGEON #61 for Masque of the Red Death. That might bring them over. :)

Patrick
AKA Bullonir over there..
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hi,
(Me again) - Here is everything we get with 13 ToM.... (copy-pasted below... Except for the last tier, we are 1079$ away from that last Wolfgang Baur adventure goodiness)

I did not get any reply of any kind for this... I am just really curious what makes patrons here buy a D&D / PFRPG product or not. What appeals to you in this? What is it you dislike? Why don't you care?

Is it that you don't see anything for our RL sensibility?
I am really curious (not just pimping this even though I am :) )
Patrick

Great adventures are the foundation of any tabletop RPG. The Dragonlance series, the Vault of the Drow, Tomb of Horrors, Sunless Citadel, Rise of the Runelords--and even Open Design's own Courts of the Shadow Fey have all defined adventure for a generation of gamers.

The Midgard Tales project aims to do to the same, with 13 adventures that reach out to remake classic themes, such as a demon-haunted mountain, a tribe of orcs and their hideous goddess, and the release of a chained god. These are adventures to be remembered, adventures to shake the foundations of complacency and "just another dungeon."

Midgard Tales aims to encourage the best of new and existing adventure design talent to give you adventures from levels 1 to 15 that your players never forget.

The project will be led by designer Christina Stiles, assisted by Wolfgang Baur and Ben McFarland.

Additional Tiers

While we’d be delighted to meet the original goal, it’s possible the Tales project might go beyond it. So here’s what the project will add if we go over.

If We Reach $10,000 -- GOAL ACHIEVED!!

The maps for all adventures will be created as full-scale battlemaps with 1 inch squares, essentially tripling the resolution so that they are perfectly sized for use with minis. Included for all Hero-level backers and up in PDF, and in print for all Diabolist-level backers.

You’ll never need to draw a map when running this adventure, just print them out and plunk them down!

If We Reach $12,500 -- GOAL ACHIEVED!!

The project adds a 32-page collection of the Legends of Midgard, expanding the roster of villains to include the Master of Demon Mountain, the Oracle of Kammae, the vilest Shadow Fey nobles, and others that backers choose. Included for all Hero-level backers and up in PDF, and in print for all Diabolist-level backers.

Written by the Legend-level backers, together with Wolfgang and Christina. The first two legends can be seen on the Kobold Quarterly blog: Hune the Doorlord, and St. Whiteskull of Bratislor.

If We Reach $15,000 -- GOAL ACHIEVED!!

The project adds 32 pages to the core book, expanding the space available for adventures. Every backer gets 192 pages instead of 160! Actually 224 pages if you count the Legends of Midgard book as well!

If We Reach $17,500

Everything is better with art! At this tier, the project includes expanded art, including 16 pages of player handout art of the “You see this” style for each adventure. Simplifies running the adventures, and makes them more memorable for you and your players.

If We Reach $20,000

Wolfgang Baur writes a 16-page standalone adventure for the collection, “The Raven’s Call.” This is included as a PDF for all Hero-level backers, and in print for all Diabolist-level backers and up.
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Speaking for myself only:
1) you've waited a whole 2 days for replies. :) We don't have the kind of daily traffic around here to conclude that 2 days without response is a lack of interest. Even if people see it, they might not reply right away. Many of our members don't come here every day. Personally, I do, but I've kept this thread open in a tab for later investigation, along with dozens of others I haven't gotten to yet.

2) With budgets stretched thin, I'm not buying up every supplement in sight that might be sorta-Ravenloft-ish anymore. Heck, I still don't have all the Carrion Crown stuff, even though I want them. I've put my D&D/Ravenloft/PF buying on the back burner, at least until I've read more of what I've got sitting on the shelf. If an actual Ravenloft product came out, I'd be first in line. But until then... I'm not looking for much.

3) I'm wary of Kickstarter products. (And pre-orders in general) It's a great concept, and I'm sure it gets great stuff published that otherwise wouldn't have been. But unless I'm dealing with a well-known entity like a series I love (Ravenloft) or an author I'm a fan of, I'd like to see some reviews first, or browse through a product, before buying it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hi Ron,

I guess I wasn't clear (sorry), I meant that I've tried bringing people to the Open Design / Wolfgang Baur stable for the last two or three projects now. My bad.

And I totally understand your POV about cash and all that...

About reviews... I'll try to find some. I've read quite a few and as a general rule, OD/WB products are really well received. He also publishes Kobold Quarterly, which usually kicks @$$ too!

I am going into work later for two nights, so I might be incommunicado for a couple of days...

My next step will be reviewing some of OD's products with RL in mind. OTOH, I used these adventures in Nartok, Darkon VERY EASILY. A Plague of Shadows, Tale of the Mouse King, Blood of the Gorgon (Just the intro so far), Knave of Parts, planning stages of Castle Shadowcrag, possibly Empire of the Ghouls...

Thanks for interest!

Patrick
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

55 hours to go...

We are at 21,190$ (!).

The last tier was 20K. Wolfgang is adding another 25K tier over the weekend.
The man is really (too?) good.

He has been around the indusrty for at least ten years. He built a huge chunk of Al-Qadim, wrote The Book of Roguish Luck (one of my favorite 3.5 supplements)... (and I forget what else)...

Have a great weekend!

Patrick
www.bullonir.wikidot.com