Thom and Petrie, log

Online roleplaying at the Café
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Thom and Petrie, log

Post by RocEter »

Thom smiles, "Yes we have traveling rations. They are nothing compared to a prepared home meal but you and your family have done enough for us already. Providing us a place stay and a fine home cooked meal. We simply could not impose on you or your family any further. We do however appreciate the offer." He says adding another smile at the end.

Thom waits for a moment for Udolpho's response before speaking again. "If you wait just a moment I retrieve those books for you. I have a wonderful selection."
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Travelling rations? Oh, I'm sure it must not compare in , eh, durability, with our famous Ghastrian hardtack. Almost vermin-proof!"

Udolpho rubs his hands together.

''But your supplies are tasty, yes? Tasty."

He stands.

''We have a quaint custom here on Ghastria; perhaps you weren't informed of it. A law, in fact. All foreign food has to be sent to East Riding for, eh, inspection. Health and safety concerns. Taxes. I'm so sorry."

Petrie frowns and nudges Thom with an elbow.
''Not good..."

Udolpho adds, ''I wish there were some way I could make this less inconvenient for you."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

After losing their food (replaced with Ghastrian fare from the town storehouse) Thom and Petrie make their way to East Riding, walking with a mule through the beautiful autumn countryside.
In the ‘capital’-- a sleepy farming village-- they deliver Denys Sancerre's package to a certain local aristocrat associated with the island’s ruler.

The Marquis, Stezen D'Polarno, doesn't receive them as guests. The ruler, they are told ‘’is not well.’’ They are allowed to stay in a farmer’s storehouse, surrounded by the tasteless but ample bounty of Ghastrian agriculture.

During his brief stay on the island, Thom is able to learn only a little about the failed colony on Gauntcliff. Remembering the paintings, he does turn up one tidbit; a limner named ‘Dodds’ was among the colonists who never returned. Thom hears something about a scandal, but no one seems to recall details- or else they are unwilling to talk about it.
When the news arrives that a relief vessel is being sent to Gauntcliff, Petrie wastes no time grabbing the gear and hustling to get himself and Thom on the manifest.

END OF LOG
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)