Devlin nods.
"Make it so. perhaps we can get them to deliver us the supplies as well."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright Tuornen Chapter 3

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Cormac looks to check that the others are ready, and then points a finger towards the goblins near the pit.

Aerik, now is the time to call down your wrath, he thinks to himself as his mind reaches out to the clouds, grasping a bolt of energy with his will and directing it to the goblin holding his shovel up to the sky.

A mighty bolt streaks from the turbulent sky and strikes the unfortunate goblin.
Cormac blinks in time to avoid being dazzled. Thunder roars.
When he looks again at the spot by the pit he sees only the goblin's smoking boots and a broken shovel.

More goblins boil up out of the pit cursing and yelling, to run away into houses or down alleys.

But nine lightly armored guards armed with hatchets or hunting spears remain- these goblins, gibbering and screeching, grab the stake to which the manlike figure is lashed and begin to drag it towards the nearest open door, about twenty feet distant. The nine little buggers aren't having an easy time of it; the ravaged greensward has already churned into ankle deep mud. One keeps pointing at the cottage and shouting.

Dietric tells Cormac-

"They are calling for help, chief."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

CAER HAES

"Yes, Grace, I'll get you results."

When they return to the room, Rennault approaches the prisoner with a smile. "Lad, you're in a tight spot, I appreciate that. I know you don't want to hurt your friends, but I know a way you can help them and us at the same time. His Grace has decided to release you into my custody. I'll show you how to be a hero to your mates, lad."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Let's go," Cormac mutters, unslinging his bow.

He raises an arm for the others to advance and creeps forward, lining up the goblin calling for help with an arrow shot.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"Let's go," Cormac mutters, unslinging his bow.

He raises an arm for the others to advance and creeps forward, lining up the goblin calling for help with an arrow shot.

Maybe it's the rain, maybe it's the poor light, but Cormac's arrows miss their marks.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:CAER HAES

"Yes, Grace, I'll get you results."

When they return to the room, Rennault approaches the prisoner with a smile. "Lad, you're in a tight spot, I appreciate that. I know you don't want to hurt your friends, but I know a way you can help them and us at the same time. His Grace has decided to release you into my custody. I'll show you how to be a hero to your mates, lad."

The man rubs his face.
''How is that?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"#%@#" Cormac whispers as he reaches for another arrow, gesturing for the team to advance and attack.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"#%@#" Cormac whispers as he reaches for another arrow, gesturing for the team to advance and attack.

Maybe the team doesn't interpret the order correctly, for instead of charging in to fight hand to hand, the poachers and Dietric simply move up into firing positions and unleash their own shots. Cormac fires again. This time, the shooters have better aim; a goblin drops, others cry out in pain or alarm. The goblins leave the stake in the mud, running into the open house!

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

ewancummins wrote: The man rubs his face.
''How is that?"

"I'll take you to my headquarters--we can discuss it there."

Renn turns to the Duke. "I'll take my leave now, Your Grace, to prepare our new friend. Until then, I suggest we attend to the matter from earlier tonight," he says, not wanting to say more than is necessary, in case spies are still afoot. Instead, he silently presses the note into Devlin's hands.

"I'm at your call, sire." With that, he leaves for his headquarters with the captured bandit in tow.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Devlin nods.

"Go. Go with honor. You are a free Tuor now, today and forever. Captain Ghonallison here would like you to accompany him. Know this is your choice. I do not lie; I have promised you freedom and you will have it. Go with Captain Ghonallison and see how you can repay this honor. Or, do not go with him: be free' be Tuor. It is your choice. So is freedom."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:Devlin nods.

"Go. Go with honor. You are a free Tuor now, today and forever. Captain Ghonallison here would like you to accompany him. Know this is your choice. I do not lie; I have promised you freedom and you will have it. Go with Captain Ghonallison and see how you can repay this honor. Or, do not go with him: be free' be Tuor. It is your choice. So is freedom."

The freed prisoner thanks the young duke profusely, bows his head and scrapes his boot in a clumsy fashion, and departs in Renn's company.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Huntsman

The raucous parade of the goblins ends with the sudden onset of a thunderstorm. The hateful creatures scatter to seek shelter in homes and shops. The only ones to remain, besides some scrawny workers sluicing the fresh dug pit, are an 'honor guard' of baleful-eyed little creeps who alternate grousing, singing off-key, and poking the Huntsman with spear butts for idle amusement.

Every hair on the Huntsman’s body rises.

And then the air turns to light. A tremendous boom, the war shout of the heavens, pounds down on the square. Deafened for a moment, he sees their mouths moving but doesn’t hear the harsh voices. The goblins lift the stake. The motion makes the bonds saw into his flesh.
A carrot-nosed goblin on the right falls, an arrow in its back!
Oozes plashes up, blinding him.

Sounds returns in a rush: snarls, sucking gulps of mud, dull thuds, more shrieks, and feet slapping the wet ground.

Rain washes the mud from the Huntsman’s face. He blinks at the face looking down at him; a man, not a goblin. Cormac! The northerner cuts him free.

Another man—he dully recognizes the bandit from the Auld Oak-- supports him grabbing him under his arms and hauling him to his feet.
Dietric shouts in the Huntsman’s ear --“Come on!”

Someone else cries-

"Boy, with us!"

Strength returns to the Huntsman’s limbs as he staggers, walk, runs. Beside him a hatchet faced man in a tattered hood races skidding over pools of mud but never quite falling, with a little boy clinging to his back.

Another lean, hooded man running with the rescue party turns and fire a couple of arrows to discourage pursuit before sprinting ahead.

The small party rushes to the edge of town, chased by howling wargs and wild-eyed goblins boiling out of every house around the square…

THE END OF CHAPTER THREE