Birthright: Tuornen Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: Tuornen Chapter Five

Post by ewancummins »

BELFRY, PART TWO

Foerde savagely beats the big metal-masked goblin till it drops stunned and bloodied to the floor of the belfry. Some of the men hurl the Metal-Mask below, delaying the climbers a bit.

Foerde moves to stand where the bell once hung, and chants while the others try desperately to hold the opening to the stairs.

Cormac lays into the biggest goblin that comes up, striking at it over and over with his axe. It turns to flee; he strikes it down from behind, sending it reeling into the line of goblins coming up the steps.

As the goblins stagger down the steps in the face of Cormac’s fury, sparks appear on the druid’s hatchet blade. Blue luminescence leaps from every blade and beam in the belfry, running along the walls and window sills.
Every hair on every head rises.

Deep silence falls over all, even the goblins' screams and jeers are replaced with quiet awe. And then a tremendous bolt of lightning bright as the sun rips down the south face of the tower, annihilating the goblin climbers and blasting a crater–grave for the goblins gathered at the base. Thunder shakes the rafters of the belfry.

What’s left of the goblin army, inside and outside the tower, flees in total disarray. Goblins cast down their arms and equipment, screaming in abject terror as they flee the monastery through the open gate. Some are trampled to death by their fellows and others make it out the gate only to slip and fall down the mountainside in their headlong flight. Even the great demon-wolves flee with tails between their legs.
In less than a minute, the ground below the tower is deserted but for the dead.

The storms breaks, soft rain and a cool breeze replace the chill downpour and howling wind. The blue faerie fire in the belfry fades. As the storm clouds part, one last tremendous peal of thunder rolls over the scene, like the tolling of a great bell.
As if in answer, the mountain rumbles, sending boulders and uprooted pines tumbling down upon the stragglers of the goblin host.

END OF CHAPTER FIVE
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Birthright: Tuornen Chapter Five

Post by kintire »

"Early on the morrow, yes. Alright, that is all I have in the way of business. Shall we eat, drink, even dare to be merry? The refugees have need of a little cheer, no doubt. I'm sure the men and boys would enjoy hearing Gunnar tell of his exploits , and I think everyone would be pleased by a magic-show. "
Of course my Lord, I'll be happy to perform! And perhaps my skills in herding smoke would be welcome too. I would like a hot meal!