A Stitch in Souragne: The Siege of Lac Noir

Online roleplaying at the Café
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Re: A Stitch in Souragne: The Siege of Lac Noir

Post by A G Thing »

Clearly taken aback by the man's sudden turn from positive to flustered Orda still does not flinch or show it more than perhaps to speak next not looking at the cowed man...

"I get that I rese...resamb...app..appe... am like a Ice Spirit or Giant, of stories, but I am just Orda... My family was... norm... norme... was more like you, but I was... Born from them... So if you remember that then we will be fine... As for being here... I am from a cold land yes... This land is too warm and uses this coin for trade... So till I find the... the means? To leave, I will have to deal... Do you see now... Lord Lathander?"

She says this with as even and calm a voice she can despite her frustration with the language and her perhaps bad grasp of this land or others. This strange man who has named himself Lathander she believes who claims to be a Priest and a Lord of some land with a name she does not grasp, seems to have mistaken her for a giant or spirit kin... And even in his land they seemed to be some sort of outsiders to society at best, or mythic creatures to be feared at worst... Still he does not seem to be as bad as those people of her home but she is wary of him. Perhaps it is her poor grasp of the language and his as well but she tries hard to ignore the sudden urge to just dismiss him. She might have to fight beside him and if so then she does not need him looking at his feet every time he see's her. So she makes herself appear to calm a bit despite her true urge to be prepared for a trap. It is not much but right now she is forcing herself not to tense.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Lucien is silent for a moment, as though afraid that any noise he makes would shatter the moment. Is this fight -- this nightmarish journey through the swamp -- nearly over?

Slowly, he steps toward Chicken Bone. He pauses at the sight of Zumba, who is clearly in some sort of pain. "Goren!" he calls out. "Help Zumba if you can, s'il vous plaît." He looks curiously at the blue-skinned woman who fought on their side -- though not necessarily as an ally. That introduction will have to wait another minute.

He addresses Chicken Bone, bowing slightly. "Monsieur. I am Lucien Jetté, and yes, I suppose you are in our debt, though it is one that can quickly be repaid. The three men who are here with me - Goren, Zumba, and Vincent - and I seek your aid in saving this land. Now that you are freed, will you help us?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Non," Chicken Bone says, his eyes seeming to cut right through Lucien. "But I will help the Land and the Loah. And I will pay my debt. Come. All of you."

The Voodan turns and strides back to his cabin. All around, the zombies start closing in, herding you after him. Two of them reach down to help Zumba to his feet. For all their wooden movements, they are surprisingly gentle about it...
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Goren moves to aid Zumba, recoiling at the undead helping him. His first urge is to destroy them but he holds it back long enough. "Pardon monsier Man Chicken Bone, I can sil vous plait helping my ami. Is ok I help him? I nervous very with Zombies, monsieur."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Orda looking as she and the others are herded enters the hut back on edge yet sheathes her blade finally. She has heard what the others have said about trying to save the land. Perhaps there is some honor to be had here. She enters whenever she gets to it with little hesitation.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Guzrath
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guzrath »

Vincent what gleeful when he hit the large robed black man who tried to run away, but disappointed that it did not finish him off. However, before he could go in pursuit, a wave of watery muck hit him, drenching him and knocking him down.
When he gets back up he notices a little round thing at the end of his rapier. Looking at it he realizes its a twitching eyeball. Half panicked he swings his rapier around hard enough until it finally "plops" loose.
By the the time he focuses back on the battle, it has all finished. The robed man is nowhere to be seen, as well as the rest of his allies.
Behind him he hears talking, he turns around seeing the others talking to an older man. For a slight moment Vincent feels like a small child who just missed an important part and who preformed below his capabilities. He inhales deeply and pushes the thought aside. Before he has time to reply walking corpses urge him to follow the old man.

"Time to get back into it" he thinks.
Making a show sheathing his weapons "Ow!!! My clothing are a mess!!" he says inspecting his body "Yuk, there are even parts that....." he grabs a piece of meat staring at it, disgust on his face and quickly flicks it away. Then looks at the old man, and Vincent is on the verge of making a remark, he opens his mouth, his eyes flick quickly to each of his known travelling companions. He decides not to make the remark. So many Walking corpses around them, which doesn't grant a feeling of safety and this is not the time to disappoint. But he can't fight the urge completely, his eyes fall on Orda, sheathing her weapon. A twinkle in his eyes, one edge of his mouth slowly curves up to create an almost mischievous smile. Vincent needs his distraction. He contorts his face in an effort to control himself. When he realizes the irony of himself in this situation and the silly face he must be pulling, he suddenly lets out a brief outburst of laughter.
He looks up at the others, surprised at his own short outburst, but it was enough to pull him back to reality. Straightening his back and pulling his clothes back in order, where possible, and helps Goren to get Zumba up. For the while ignoring the large newcomer.
Tresspassers will be shot......
Survivors will be shot again.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Lucien looks anxiously at the approaching zombies that surround him and his companions like farmers herding cattle. Claude silently finishes the thought in his mind, ...to the slaughter, Lucien? Perhaps not. It would have been much easier for him to let his minions devour you. I would survive being eaten, though....

Lucien can't help but smirk at the gallows humor (in the truest sense), yet even he is caught offguard a moment later by Vincent's sudden bark of laughter. Briefly, he fears for his ally's sanity -- it's a wonder they're not all gibbering lunatics right now -- but then Vincent seems to composes himself. Understandable.

As they're forced to stand closer together, he finally appraises the warrior woman. Her skin really is tinted blue! He catches a glare from her as perhaps he stared a little too long. He says, "I apologize, madamoiselle. Your name is... Orda, I believe you said? I am Lucien. If it is a honorable fight you seek, I believe you have come at a very good time." His tone is cordial and polite -- though his voice sounds more tired and raspy than he had expected.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Hearing the slight voice of one of these men behind her complaining almost halfheartedly, she at first thinks little of it. But upon hearing the bark of laughter in the same voice ring out as well, slightly amuses Orda somewhat though she does not look back to see who did so. She is too tense to think of joining such behavior now but it does remind her of a time long ago and she barely holds in a smirk.

She soon notices also as another one of this group approaches and examines her further again, this time it seems with more intense interest. She looks back more focused as well studying him and showing that he has her attention. Still as he begins speaking she notices his slight change in behavior but pays little mind to it, used to such as she is. People almost always look that way at her at least once. After he speaks she responds quite evenly in a clear voice.

"Yes, Moi... Moins... Lucien. Orda Korskir is my name. And yes, an honorable fight, if so, would be good..." She notes his tone and yet also more keenly notes his fatigue. Her mind putting that to the side for now. Still she rechecks that she is not being too tense. She relaxes her muscles a bit more but even this is trying for her as she is mentally trying to stay on edge but not show it.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"You help him, or my slaves do," Chicken Bone says as he enters his home. "It makes no difference."

Just waiting on Zumba's reply, and then I'll move you all into the dubious safety of Casa del Chicken Bone...
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Merci monsieur. I helping him."

Goren grits his teeth as he takes Zumba from the Zombies grasp, uncomfortable in their presence. He smiles awkwardly as Guzrath helps him. Always, he had been drilled to destroy undead, from Skeletons to Vampires or worst. Here he had had to work with them and it was clearly making him uncomfortable.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Zumba recovers from his long trance inside a hut, in a gathering with all his companions and the blue woman... he puzzles at her, barely remembering having seen her before. Then he looks at Chicken Bone, and recognizing his function, he addresses him as best he thinks suits a Voodan, with the utmost respect. If that means speaking no word at all, then he does only gestures.

Then he says to the others, briefly

"Thank you."

His eyes shine with a different light, he seems to look at the horizon, and many times through the door of the hut, looking for any of the malformed hybrids they fought before.

Then he says simply, as one who has been illuminated

"I have a mission now!"

He smiles.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Guzrath
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guzrath »

Ail wrote:"Thank you."
Vincent nods.
Ail wrote:"I have a mission now!"
After doubting his own sanity, his eyebrows rise at Zumba's comment, mostly the enthousiasm while in this bleak place. However, didn't he himself do just the same thing?

Still wondering
"You feeling allright there? Or are you just under awe of that old man?" he asks Zumba
Tresspassers will be shot......
Survivors will be shot again.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Lucien, like Vincent, looks with some alarm at Zumba after his "mission" comment. Seeing that Vincent is already speaking softly to their companion, he decides not to push the matter. At the moment, it's best just to celebrate the fact that all of them are -- somehow -- still alive and to focus on the help (threat?) that Chicken Bone may provide.

He looks again at Orda and recalls her awkward conversation wiith Goren a few moments earlier. Pointing at each of his three male friends, he says, "Orda, that is Vincent ... Zumba ... Goren. Goren is a priest ... a holy man ... he prays to a god he calls Lathander."

He momentarily shocks himself as he realizes, Did I just call them 'friends'? That's... unexpected.
--W. Somerset Maugham
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Orda pays minor attention to Zumba though even she thinks it slightly odd but puts it aside out of him being from different lands and customs.

Meanwhile the one known as Lucien again speaks to her.

"Ah... Very well... Thanks Lucien... Vincent and Zumba... You all seem strong... " She nods to each of the three of them ending with Lucien eyes calm and not showing much emotion other than the calm. She is not sure how to act but does not let that bother her much.

There is only a trace of embarrassment on her face when Lucien explains about Goren. But that fades quick as she tries to think what to say to the man. "And Goren Priest of Lathander... I know not of these God's so take no insult. Is this Lathander a fey? Perhaps later you could tell stor... stori... stories of these spirits..." Her nod to him is also calm but perhaps a bit overly polite and curt but in no way disrespectful to her mind.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

One by one, you enter the Voodan's house.

And as soon as the last foot is over the threshold, the door... closes.

END CHAPTER